Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
More and more I start to see independent films. They have more content. Budgets are destroying cinematographic art. How did you find it?

-Joao
It was on the channel TCM -- it was Werner Herzog night.

Wind River (2017)

+

My wife and I really enjoyed this and it was as good as I ever could have hoped. It looks good, the acting is strong, and while it isn't fast paced, when the action comes it is worth the wait.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

Jesus, I wasn't expecting this! A great action flick that doesn't stop surprising by how much over the top it goes. The plot is interesting, the cinematography has some really interesting bits and the action scenes are really well done! It's stupid but it knows it's stupid and that has a lot of value! I had tons of fun!

-
Yes it was a fun and refreshing ride from usual action flicks. I just watched the golden circle tonight and it continues with the cinematography, but I found the plot a bit ho hum.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Yeah, so I ended up finishing this (from when Tess wakes up next to Jack in bed) on Pop (despite the fact that the Blu-ray's right there less than three feet away on the shelf) because of Mom flipping through the channels. I was actually surprised by how much was left intact, like when Katharine says "G--damn" and when Tess says "s--t" after she drops her stuff, especially considering it got by with a TV-PG. Anyway, it's still the same movie that consistently cracks my top five list and Happy New Year, guys. See ya in 2018.

Wind River (2017)

I do like this movie. Very straight to the point and strong social comment

Assasin's Creed (2016)

Defined what I think about today's liberty.
Saw this around 3 years ago, really touching.

by Paul Thomas Anderson

Waited for some time to watch one of the firsts Paul Thomas Anderson films.

When you see a Paul Thomas Anderson, you know is a Paul Thomas Anderson, even then. If you had the opportunity to watch this shortfilm in 1993 you could tell he was going to be known later on. He had a bad camera and a good brain, what else do you need?

-Joao

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Dave Chappelle - The Bird Revelation - 8.5/10

Man, this was also great... A lot of it is about the sexual harassment.. The other half, was a great story. It's funny, clever, and truthful.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

I liked this, besides reading about how obtuse the story was it was actually easy to understand. The stilted dialogue was actually quite funny in some parts (probably not intentional) and I thought this was a good deal better than "The Lobster". Pretty nifty too to see Alicia Silverstone in a small but important role. 4/5.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I've always wonder about Chappelle and how great he really is. Chappelle's show was special compared to his stand-up, which makes me wonder how much credit Neil Brennan should really get. There isn't really much from Chappelle's stand-up that ever sticks with me, other than "hey baby, watcha doing out here...".

I've always wonder about Chappelle and how great he really is. Chappelle's show was special compared to his stand-up, which makes me wonder how much credit Neil Brennan should really get. There isn't really much from Chappelle's stand-up that ever sticks with me, other than "hey baby, watcha doing out here...".
I was in mild shock with his recent NF stand-up specials. It was bad. his jokes weren't funny (or even "jokes" for that matter) and he seemed half hearted the entire thing. His show was the ticket. Some of his older stand up was quality but that doesn't seem to be the same Dave up there, anymore...

A Bittersweet Life

So glad i watched this again, i think it's one of my favourite films as i said the main guy being so fallible and how devastating it is makes it pretty incredible IMO. The thing that's devastating to me is Kim Sun-woo's role and what his death at the end was for. Kim Sun-woo at first is a generic muscle man for a powerful crime boss. He is given the task of essentially babysitting the bosses much younger girlfriend and is given orders to kill her and her love if his suspicions that she is having an affair are correct, he's clearly already a killer at this point and while killing a woman may be problematic it should be a routine task; he actually tries to get out of it and to me the reason seemed to be that it was beneath him rather than anything else. He then meets and falls for her, they spend a couple of days together then he confirms his bosses suspicions that she was having an affair. This was particularly devastating to him because he cares for her and i imagine was entertaining thoughts of being with her himself. His feelings for her stops him from carrying out his bosses orders and instead of killing them he tells both of them they can never see one another again. That's where Kim Sun-woo and Yoon Hee-soo's interactions ends which is partly whats devastating to me, i don't remember when that happens exactly, the film is two hours long i doubt that's anymore than 40 minutes in leaving us with the majority of the film. Now there's Yoon Hee-soo; there's no indication that she feels the same about Kim Sun-woo, it would actually be pretty weird if she did. They only spent one proper day together and regardless of the reasons for it he is the one that forbids her from seeing her lover something she is not happy with. Her reaction to that indicates that the person she is seeing isn't just a sexual partner but someone she cares about; likely loves. I mean the only other scenario here is Kim killing both of them, he's putting himself at great risk here and still she is seriously pissed at him and saddened by it. Now Yoon is obviously not dumb, she is musically talented and from their conversations doesn't come across like some bimbo. That's the thing from their conversations she is the more dynamic and in control one and i don't believe that's only supposed to be his feelings for her and her connection to his boss, i think she is alot smarter than him. She is most likely manipulating him, her goal is probably to get him to like her so he may let his guard down and she can continue having her affair. The thing is we see her purely from the persona she wants to portray to him and from his memories of her at the end, obviously compromised and sugarcoated memories because it's only one image we see of her (the one i used for my picture) in his memories one of her smiling at him with her violin, no mention of the animosity. Then i find it doubtful that she was forced into a relationship with his boss, i doubt it's supposed to be that he just decided she was his girlfriend and she was practically a slave. We don't find out her history so i think it's much more likely that she floated in his circles and the much more refined version of her we see is due to the wealth she has sought out from becoming his girlfriend; her being a good person is a conclusion he comes to and we watch rather than her ever being demonstratably good in the film. This all leads me to conclude that she was playing him, she thought (and was probably correct since it worked) that he was a dumb brute and she could easily lead him on and manipulate the situation as she pleased. There's no indications that he is smart in any way, street smart but that's not the same thing as generally intelligent or even competent, i don't believe he's an idiot but i do believe he could be played by a more intelligent person like her. Meaning our protagonist is a dumb, pathetic, sadsack and that once she is out of the picture we are watching him travel towards his death for absolutely nothing. Couple that with him being fallible like i said earlier; every fight he is in is really messy and he is terrible with guns, the whole thing is so different to any similar superhero mafia hitman/special agent film i've seen including those three other Korean ones i mentioned.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Greenberg

I expected something more so Im a little bit disappointed, but if someone would ask me why, I wouldnt know the answer. Greta Gertwigs part was very bold.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I couldnt finish this movie. I watched about one hour and I turned it off.
Great actors, interesting story and the movie which doesnt involve. I prefer early fertilness of Truffaut.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Top Gun was on tv last night so we had a blast from the past. I didnt realise how tonguey those kiss scenes were back in 80s. So nice to see
super intelligent and accomplished teacher falling in love with her student within 24 hours and acting like her ovaries were going to burst at the mere sight of that arrogant ********. What an unlikable character. That movie isnt High Octane; it's High Testosterone

lol at the word police. Should be Richard Cranium.

Then more 80s

So so 80s, and he even throws in Ni99er which took me by surprise. I forgot that PC didnt take over until later.