The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

??? I can expand more if needed

Velvet and his nom Clueless is out of the Hall of Fame. Thankfully only me and Citizen watched it. This is a Velvet specific issue that started with the post Citizen mentioned, actually it started before that but that's when i knew what he was going to do in this Hall of Fame. We spoke about the host deciding to kick someone out when they didn't think someone was going to finish, i've made a decision that Velvet is not someone i want to be in a Hall of Fame with as he has decided what he thinks of the films beforehand to imitate another member. That is not someone i want to be in one of these with and as host i don't have to, in the future i won't join any he is in, as i said this is Velvet specific i believe the rest of the members here actually want to participate and are approaching things with an open mind. Velvet proved he wasn't with those earlier posts and that Morvern Callar "review".

im confused. I didn't like your nom but I dont think I should be kicked out because of that?

im confused. I didn't like your nom but I dont think I should be kicked out because of that?
You are being willfully obtuse to try and paint this as something it's not. i made a post detailing why you're out and Citizen said the same, Citizen has no reason to want you out i mean he'd watched your nom. He obviously has noticed the same things i have. lMy noms have been hated plenty in the past, in the 11th Hall of Fame i hosted my nom was despised by most members and i accepted it because everyone has different opinions. I don't care about you not liking it, i actually think that validates my taste. This is about you not the nom.

I should have went with my gut when i said i wasn't going to join a Hall of Fame you join in the 70's HoF thread. This is my fault i accept the blame.

Let the night air cool you off
I do think that review is problematic, and I certainly see that this doesn't seem to be headed anywhere good, but I'd like to see him be given the chance to provide some more of his thoughts on that review. I don't like that it was written like he didn't actually see it, but wanted to sh*t on it. I hope that's not the case. But, I saw the post where he talked about if the movies looked like they would be good or bad to him, and I don't see a problem with that post, unless none of the movies surprises him one way or the other and it's clear he either hasn't watched any of them or doesn't give any of them a fair shake. P.S. I wrote this on my phone going down the road (as a passenger of course, I'm not a monster.), so if any of this doesn't make sense... that's my excuse.

Velvet and his nom Clueless is out of the Hall of Fame.
Camo did give Velvet several chances, and it's clear he's here to screw around, which hurts the other members. An Hof requires a level of trust and respect between the members or it won't work. So I agree with Camo's decision to remove his nom.

I do think that review is problematic, and I certainly see that this doesn't seem to be headed anywhere good, but I'd like to see him be given the chance to provide some more of his thoughts on that review. I don't like that it was written like he didn't actually see it, but wanted to sh*t on it. I hope that's not the case. But, I saw the post where he talked about if the movies looked like they would be good or bad to him, and I don't see a problem with that post, unless none of the movies surprises him one way or the other and it's clear he either hasn't watched any of them or doesn't give any of them a fair shake. P.S. I wrote this on my phone going down the road (as a passenger of course, I'm not a monster.), so if any of this doesn't make sense... that's my excuse.
Thanks for your view, i know some aren't going to support this decision but as i said this is a long time coming, i said in the 70's HoF i wouldn't join one he was in and i should have stuck to it, this is my fault. I think i was overeager to get members as i was paranoid this was going to fail which is why i allowed him in. This is purely about Velvet and i apologize for allowing it to get to this. Thankfully only me and Citizen watched his nom though.

Im kinda annoyed considering I just watched a film I thought was genuinely awful for this hof then im kicked out. Kinda rude IMO

With Velvet out that's 11 films to watch and i'll keep the March 19th deadline meaning we got the two extra weeks for the holidays after all. Only me and Citizen watched Clueless so this didn't effect much. Will keep our reviews in the first post since we watched and took the time to share our thoughts, that's why our count is off obviously.

Let the night air cool you off
I'll be rewatching American Psycho tonight or tomorrow, then I'll try to get to The Ascent. I finally got somebody out to my house to fix my internet problems, so I should be able to get the ball rolling on this hof now.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Last Supper

I had forgotten all about this film since I watched it, but it quickly came back to me.

In some ways it looks dated, but in other ways it seems more pertinent than ever. The internet seems to be increasingly full of rage and it isn’t hard to imagine “social justice warriors” actually taking up arms. I have seen people bully and threaten others over using a word they find offensive with apparently no sense that they were doing the same thing but worse. People genuinely advocating burning books and movies because they disagree with something the author or director has said. I’ve often thought if some people could kill people with whom they disagreed by pressing a button on their keyboard, they’d probably believe they were doing humanity a favour. (It’s probably been covered in Black Mirror (or soon will be).)

Anyway, in this film the students first face the whole ‘let’s kill Hitler’ dilemma (but without the time travel, which let’s be honest, would have made it a bit more interesting). But then they start off on a downward slope where it becomes all too easy to kill people who disagree with them even slightly. Or, as a review I read on imdb put it, “...*[they] become drunk with their own sense of self-righteousness. Their hunt to destroy future Hitlers blinds them to the reality that they are the future Hitlers. For what was Hitler, but a man who thought he could build a better society by eliminating the undesirables?*”

And in the end of course, liberal in-fighting and aggression doesn’t just enable the rise of the right, it paves the way. Prophetic? Perhaps.

As a premise, it’s fascinating, even essential. As a film, not so much. It’s nowhere near as sharp or as funny as it could be. The characters are, by necessity, caricatures. It’s ultimately unsatisfying. And, as evidenced by the fact that I had all but forgotten about it in the intervening twenty years, it’s not particularly memorable. But it is worth watching.

The Last Supper

There are quite a few movies with the premise being something happening at some sort of dinner party or gathering, but I had no idea what to expect here. This is a very appropriate and topical movie, probably more so now than when it came out with the current mood of the country and the Trump administration. That may be a big plus for some but personally I'm a little burnt out over these debates. It seemed apparent to me what the director was trying to do by spotlighting the hypocrisy, and I think it worked to an extent. My issue was that the characters and dialogue were all very standard. I thought there was a lack of bite and originality. It wasn't a bad watch. There are a lot of familiar faces even if the performances were average to mediocre. The biggest takeaway I got from the movie was learning that Jonathan Penner, who I know from three seasons of Survivor, is an actor. No wonder I never knew. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was made especially well, or was as intelligent or humorous as was apparently intended.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
it may be Last Supper has less of a satirical bite as time as passed on. Still, looking forward to seeing it and seeing how it plays out for me.

Still have Morvern Callar and Little Women from the library, which I need to watch before they're due back. So, hopefully this weekend I'll be checking them out.

it may be Last Supper has less of a satirical bite as time as passed on. Still, looking forward to seeing it and seeing how it plays out for me...
It's got tomatoes! Am I the only one who thought that was a neat thing?

The Last Supper

There are quite a few movies with the premise being something happening at some sort of dinner party or gathering, but I had no idea what to expect here. This is a very appropriate and topical movie, probably more so now than when it came out with the current mood of the country and the Trump administration. That may be a big plus for some but personally I'm a little burnt out over these debates. It seemed apparent to me what the director was trying to do by spotlighting the hypocrisy, and I think it worked to an extent. My issue was that the characters and dialogue were all very standard. I thought there was a lack of bite and originality. It wasn't a bad watch. There are a lot of familiar faces even if the performances were average to mediocre. The biggest takeaway I got from the movie was learning that Jonathan Penner, who I know from three seasons of Survivor, is an actor. No wonder I never knew. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was made especially well, or was as intelligent or humorous as was apparently intended.
Oscar nominated film-maker(in short subject) with his wife who made the film.

He had a bit of a famous bit on Arrested Development as a cop who takes his daughter to work while he's interrogating a Bluth.

I actually think that if you go into the politics the liberal notions of the middle were wrong in today's political climate which is what makes it dated and fairly humorous.

It weirdly feels like i've fell behind even though only Cricket has seen more than me: well out of remaining films anyway i also watched Clueless. Doubt i'll get another film watched in 2017 but i should watch my remaining six films during January.

We started on the 18th so we're 11 days in. 8/11 (9 if you count Yam but i'm waiting for his review) have started although with the two extra weeks even those who haven't are on schedule.