The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

@seanc @Citizen Rules @edarsenal @jiraffejustin @Siddon @cricket @Thursday Next
@Yam12 @HashtagBrownies @jal90 @Velvet

Screw it i just did the reveal tonight It's Monday here now and i probably won't be on until late tomorrow night so it makes sense.

The films are in the second post. The deadline is March 19th. If you need help finding anything PM me. Any questions go ahead. Have fun!

Morvern Callar - My nom. It's not gonna work for some of you but even if one or two like it i'll be happy. I think it's her second best of the three she has made after Ratcatcher. Didn't nominate that because i know Cricket and Sean have seen that.

We Need To Talk About Kevin - I think it's Ramsay's weakest but i still like it quite alot. This is the one i doubt i'll watch again.

American Psycho - Seen this loads. Fun film. Not sure if i'll watch it again.

Clueless - I've never been much of a fan of this, might try it again.

Take This Waltz - Sean has been really big on recing this to me so hopefully i like it as much as him.

Little Women - As i said to Citizen i've read the novel but have never seen an adaptation, my sister is a big fan.

Orlando - This was high up my watchlist so glad it was nominated.

Europa Europa - Wasn't really aware of this. Looking forward to it. Also JJ "My nom is from Holland"

The Last Supper - Had never heard of this.

Nothing Bad Can Happen - Thought this looked interesting when Cricket posted about it in Movie You're Watching Tonight so i was glad he joined with it.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - Have thought this looked interesting since it came out glad it was nominated.

The Ascent - Only really became aware of this in the run up to the Countdown recently. Looks good.

been wanting to watch the ascent

I'll keep the writeups in the third post. It's probably best if you make sure you can find everything over the next week or so as it's better dealing with a problem right away. If you can't find anything again PM me.

[/quote]

Does anyone else think Jonathan Penner kinda looks like Robert De Niro here? From a glance at least once you take a proper look at it it's easy enough to tell them apart.

The noms look like a respectable range of films I haven't seen many of them, I haven't heard of some of them either, but they do look intriguing.

My nom is Little Women, so why did I chose that?

Directed by a woman, of course, and about women and based on the classic novel written in the mid 19th century by a woman, Louisa May Alcott. Which at the time a woman novelist was a rarity. Then again Louisa was a dynamic individual.

Her novel is based on her own family experiences, though she changed their names. She's Jo in the novel and in the movie. Louisa/Jo and her family lived a pretty remarkable life, her parents were intellectuals, quiet liberal for the day, and basically what you see in the movie, is what happened.

The noms look like a respectable range of films I haven't seen many of them, I haven't heard of some of them either, but they do look intriguing.

My nom is Little Women, so why did I chose that? Well, you get a triple dose of estrogen.

Directed by a woman, of course, and about women and based on the classic novel written in the mid 19th century by a woman, Louisa May Alcott. Her novel is based on her own family experiences though she changed their names. She's Jo in the novel and in the movie. Jo and her family lived a pretty remarkable life, her parents were intellectuals, quiet liberal for the day, basically what you see in the movie, is what happened.
Saw yours in my blockbuster days. I used to be a big Ryder fan. I will definitely have to watch it again. Looking forward to it.

Saw yours in my blockbuster days. I used to be a big Ryder fan. I will definitely have to watch it again. Looking forward to it.
For the record when i said one member on Letterboxd had it marked as watched it was Thursday Next not Sean.

And yeah Sean i realized you had watched Ramsay's other two recently so i figured that'd be a safe nom. Also i had a weird feeling Cricket would like it, we'll see.

For the record when i said one member on Letterboxd had it marked as watched it was Thursday Next not Sean.

And yeah Sean i realized you had watched Ramsay's other two recently so i figured that'd be a safe nom. Also i had a weird feeling Cricket would like it, we'll see.
I tried looking for the members Letterboxd accounts but I couldn't figure out whos was whos for the most part.

This is what i posted about Morvern Callar when i watched it back in February. It's not very good and don't read it until you see it as there's spoilers. I posted it right after watching and i think i was still gathering my thoughts after reading it back. I'm not sure whether i'm going to see it again or not, if i do i'll try to post something proper:

Morvern Callar

First of all there's spoilers here so don't read on if you haven't seen it. WIth Lynne Ramsay bringing out a film later this year i thought i should see the last i hadn't yet. Ratcatcher is one of my favourite films and i liked We Need To Talk About Kevin alot; i thought this was pretty great i'd have it in the middle of those two.

There isn't much of a plot. It starts of with Morvern lying on the floor next to the dead (clearly recently) body of who we later find out is her boyfriend. He killed himself leaving a suicide note and the manuscript of his novel (dedicated to Morvern) and the rest of the movie is watching Morvern react to it; she doesn't report him dead instead keeping his body in her house clearly out of some king of denial/shock. Some of her reactions are tough to understand simply because i couldn't begin to imagine what a situation like this would be like. Sometimes she seems deeply troubled, sometimes she seems like her mind just isn't there as if she is having some quiet mental breakdown and at times she is completely fine having a great time with her friends. The main thing that baffled me was her deleting the suicide note, getting rid of the body/cleaning the house and taking credit for his novel and spending the money he left for the funeral. At that point i briefly considered it possible that she had killed him and that was her planned coverup that she didn't go through with but no he really did kill himself. It's not really made clear if she did this for selfish reasons or if it was possibly out of anger at him for taking his life, either way it's just such a baffling thing to do since surely people are going to come looking for him and you will be the number one suspect. Not to mention the fact that she cuts his body up in her bathtub while listening to music like a complete psychopath. After this she goes to Spain with her friend spending most of it in multiple weird moods, sometimes bad and sometimes good. That's pretty much what happens. the atmosphere and Samantha Mortons performance are what make the film; she is really excellent.

I can see the way it's shot at times annoying some but i personally loved it. There's alot of closeups, the camera is always on the move and sometimes it's blurry/in and out of focus, characters shouting often over music or each other, etc, i think it created the right atmosphere though. Particularly in the first party scene which must have (it's never confirmed how long he has been dead when the film begins or how long it has been when she goes out) take place only a few hours after he died. There's also quite a few scenes of Morvern listening to music while doing nothing pretty much which i can see others finding tedious, i loved the soundtrack so i was fine with it. While some of the film looks as i described earlier some of it is really beautiful as well, like when they are by the loch or lost in Spain. Anyway very good film; in the middle of Ratcatcher and We Need To Talk About Kevin for me, can't wait for Ramsay's next film.

Makes sense. I have tried to mark a lot of movies just watched but thinking back that far is impossible. I am sure I have seen at least a couple hundred movies I haven't logged there.

I tried looking for the members Letterboxd accounts but I couldn't figure out whos was whos for the most part.
You need to create an account.

I picked clueless because I still wanted to be in and every film i mentioned was hard to find so I went with a film ive been watching my whole life. Its not particular good but its a comfort film for me and easily accessible. I think I've seen it nearly 20 times maybe more