14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

One thing I forgot to bring up: Did anyone else think that the start of Time of the Gypsies felt a little bit like Wings of Desire? With the camera moving around to these different people (who are spouting very strange dialogue that sounds like it could be their inner thoughts or prayers), I couldn't help drawing a comparison there.
Yea I did notice that and then the movie just seemed to suddenly go in a different direction.

La Grande Illusion

This was the 4th movie I've seen from director Jean Renoir after Rules of the Game, French Cancan, and The River. I didn't care for any of those but still had hope for this classic. It was a weird viewing experience for me. It's IMDb and Wiki pages don't say anything about comedy, yet I thought there was quite a bit of humor, and that it's mix with seriousness was deftly handled. I was taken aback immediately by how well the prisoners were treated, and it was quite nice to see. There's much about the film that I found interesting. I felt and saw the greatness of this movie but it didn't quite engulf me on this viewing. While I seemed to enjoy every moment, it took a little bit of patience to get through. I had no issues with any of the performances or technical aspects, just the opposite actually. I feel like there are things about the film I missed but I at least enjoyed it. My rating is too low for how good I think it is, yet a little high for how much I got out of this one viewing. I'm very glad it was nominated since I had every intention of seeing it anyway.

La Grande Illusion

This was the 4th movie I've seen from director Jean Renoir after Rules of the Game, French Cancan, and The River. I didn't care for any of those but still had hope for this classic. It was a weird viewing experience for me. It's IMDb and Wiki pages don't say anything about comedy, yet I thought there was quite a bit of humor, and that it's mix with seriousness was deftly handled. I was taken aback immediately by how well the prisoners were treated, and it was quite nice to see. There's much about the film that I found interesting. I felt and saw the greatness of this movie but it didn't quite engulf me on this viewing. While I seemed to enjoy every moment, it took a little bit of patience to get through. I had no issues with any of the performances or technical aspects, just the opposite actually. I feel like there are things about the film I missed but I at least enjoyed it. My rating is too low for how good I think it is, yet a little high for how much I got out of this one viewing. I'm very glad it was nominated since I had every intention of seeing it anyway.

On Citizen Rules prompting I am popping onto HOF to have a look and probably participate. I understand I have to watch this film, discuss it and then rate it is that correct?

On Citizen Rules prompting I am popping onto HOF to have a look and probably participate. I understand I have to watch this film, discuss it and then rate it is that correct?
This particular HoF is just about over. Maybe ask Edarsenal if it's not too late to join the 70's HoF that started a couple days ago.

Like Cricket said, this one is just about over...so it's to late to join, but everyone is welcomed to discuss the movies, you don't have to join to do that. Have you seen any of the movies in this one?

This particular HoF is just about over. Maybe ask Edarsenal if it's not too late to join the 70's HoF that started a couple days ago.
That's a good idea! It's up to the host, Ed, but it's cool with me. I know Spookie from the trivia games, he's pretty well watched movie wise and a good guy too!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Like Cricket said, this one is just about over...so it's to late to join, but everyone is welcomed to discuss the movies, you don't have to join to do that. Have you seen any of the movies in this one?

That's a good idea! It's up to the host, Ed, but it's cool with me. I know Spookie from the trivia games, he's pretty well watched movie wise and a good guy too!
Since we just started and if it's cool with others, @spookiemoviemania, if they like may join the 70's Hall of Fame. IF you decide to, PM me a nomination.
And yes, during the run of the HoF, the 70's one runs until Jan 12, 2018, you watch the movies, post a review after each, and, when possible, join in the discussions. When finished, you'll PM your list of favorite to least to the Host (me) and at the end, I'll post the winner of that. Winning is actually secondary, watching and discussing is the big thing.

Also, should you enjoy it, there will be a Foreign Film Hall of Fame hosted by Cosmic, the start date pending. Should you prefer that one, or simply try them both.

enjoyed the reviews, sorry to hear that Time of Gypsies didn't work for you, @CosmicRunaway. That does happen sometimes.
And agree, @cricket, I didn't expect the comedy with Grand Illusion but did enjoy the way they balanced it between the more serious aspects.

And, again, thank you, @Miss Vicky for enduring Grand Illusion WITH the necessary profanity . I've been in that situation on occasion, wishing a movie to be over and being tempted to fast forward to the end or skip through.

I've been in that situation on occasion, wishing a movie to be over and being tempted to fast forward to the end or skip through.
Confession: many many years ago, when I first tried to watch Nosferatu (1922), I had to put it on fast forward to get through it.

I'll always remember that as a prime example for how our tastes can change over time.

Confession: many many years ago, when I first tried to watch Nosferatu (1922), I had to put it on fast forward to get through it.

I'll always remember that as a prime example for how our tastes can change over time.
Exactly. And more so when we join in on such a thing as an HoF

Legend in my own mind

La Grande Illusion (1937)

Knew nothing about this film before watching. Not even read any reviews on here.
I am also not aware of having previously seeing anything else by Renoir.

There were a few times early in the film when I felt that I was struggling to concentrate on what was going on, but overall I found the film both engaging and thought provoking. I became more invested as the film went on.

I thought that it was a well made film that had stood the test of time. There is something timeless in the way that some of these older films are shot that simply make them more believable for me and I often find it an easier leap for my imagination to go into the setting of the film, than some of the shiny new films.

The key for me were the messages throughout the film. The fragility of human life and the acknowledgement that under the uniforms, even at times of war, people on both sides, have plenty in common and are not too dissimilar from one another. The issue of social class was also cleverly woven throughout the film, alongside that of military rank and the respect that comes with both.

I feel that the film brought home the humanity of us all in a powerful way.
The journey and experience of the main characters coupled with the dynamic of the relationship with one another and other characters that they come into contact with was cleverly done.

I also spotted some scenes that I am sure provided inspiration for the great escape.

A good nom, and I am glad that I have seen it.

Legend in my own mind

Night on Earth 1991

What a great idea for a film!!!

What a let down!!!

Again, I watched without any prior knowledge of what the film was about.
When it became clear what was going on I was really excited.
I needn't have been.

This film is about unfulfilled potential for me.
It was an excellent idea that was underwhelming to say the least.
The different stories of the cab rides seemed to get more and more ridiculous as the film went on.
It made a solid start with Ryder and Rowlands in LA but then then it was all down hill from there.

It ended up almost farcical.

I haven't been this disappointed in a film for a long time.

Such a shame.

I watched Nosferatu for the first time the other day. Thought it was pretty great but i actually prefer the Herzog for now at least. I watched the remastered version, can tell the other version is closer to how it originally was but the remastered one was clearer and had proper easily readable subtitles. Kinda want to see it with that yellowish/brownish look though instead of the straightforward black and white the remastered one had.

The couple of times I've seen Nosferatu were at the Detroit Art Institute's movie theater. Once with the brownish yellow, the second time, cleaned up AND with a classical string quartet playing the score live - which was pretty cool in itself.

always enjoy your reviews, @Sarge and completely agree the scenes that may have inspired The Great Escape. And it seems you nailed the director's intentions regarding humanity and class

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Night on Earth 1991

What a great idea for a film!!!

What a let down!!!

Again, I watched without any prior knowledge of what the film was about.
When it became clear what was going on I was really excited.
I needn't have been.

This film is about unfulfilled potential for me.
It was an excellent idea that was underwhelming to say the least.
The different stories of the cab rides seemed to get more and more ridiculous as the film went on.
It made a solid start with Ryder and Rowlands in LA but then then it was all down hill from there.

It ended up almost farcical.

I haven't been this disappointed in a film for a long time.

Such a shame.

I agree with you. I think we were the only two that liked the start, and while I liked it a little more than you, I was still let down by it as well.

Empire of Passion

I had originally thought I may not have seen this or merely saw a similar movie, but shortly into watching this, I began to remember this movie.
For me, the true highlight of this movie is the cinematography. Some of scenes and many of the angled shots are quite beautiful to behold.

Sadly, it cannot make up for the distaste I had for the characters; though, this may be the movie's intention since this is a fable with a lesson to be learned and so, the two principal characters should NOT be liked or felt for. And, in that light, it succeeded quite well.
Still, I kept looking forward to the haunting to begin and their payment of sins to be dished out.
The ghost of the murdered husband was good, though at times a bit theatrical and I had such a time with the constant screeching of the cheating/murdering wife who seemed more like a leaf in the wind of this sordid ordeal being tossed about without any say or willingness to do otherwise.

This is incredibly short, and I do apologize for that but I, unfortunately have little more to say about it.

Legend in my own mind
always enjoy your reviews, @Sarge and completely agree the scenes that may have inspired The Great Escape. And it seems you nailed the director's intentions regarding humanity and class
Thanks buddy

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
At 115/144!!!!! Superb job everyone!

I now also have 4 lists. Some prett interesting results so far. Will be interesting to see how the final list shapes up!

Empire of Passion
It looks like we both felt similarly about this film. I know that I got a chuckle or two when the brother started shouting out ticks randomly. At that point I was like "OK SETTLE DOWN!"...hahaha. This loud screech. That'll do, sir. A dab will do ya. lol