14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Joel for being brutally honest with yourself on your own nomination. It's impressive that you self-analyzed your past reasons for loving Lone Star, and then contrasted those reasons to how you feel about the movie now.

Lone Star (1996)
...some of the subject matter seemed hyper injected as if it was trying too hard to be political or have social commentary. Exactly the kind of film I dislike. Felt stagy and forced...
I understand what you're saying, I've probably said those same sort of things myself... But consider this: all film makers have a goal in mind when making a movie. I would say the director of Lone Star planned on telling his murder-mystery story by hanging it on the overlaying premise that societal norms cause actions and reactions in individuals, and those actions continue through out time, and eventual becoming folklore.

By looking at the sleepy border town with a mixed population of whites, Tejanos & blacks the film maker shows how the personal conflicts within the town helped shaped the events that then lead to the murder, and also shaped how those events were later perceived. That's what the investigation really uncovers.

I liked Lone Star, I thought it was a good nom and very different than what we mostly get in the Hofs. Thanks for nominating it Joel.

I thought about nominating Rock and Rule. I actually nominated The Last Unicorn though. I think I later nominated Rock and Rule in that Animation Tournament Camo ran. I hadn't seen either in a very long time.

I probably should've gone with Rock and Rule for the HoF, since parts of The Last Unicorn were insufferable haha.
Oh that's right. Eh, I didn't like either one of them.

I would say the director of Lone Star planned on telling his murder-mystery story by hanging it on the overlaying premise that societal norms cause actions and reactions in individuals, and those actions continue through out time, and eventual becoming folklore.

By looking at the sleepy border town with a mixed population of whites, Tejanos & blacks the film maker shows how the personal conflicts within the town helped shaped the events that then lead to the murder, and also shaped how those events were later perceived. That's what the investigation really uncovers.
I agree 100%. And I wanted to add that I think seeing a film like this, despite whatever grievances one may have about some of the forced acting, may fare better under optimum comfortability. I am talking about a nice reclining chair and an even climate. A little cheese, a pile of crackers...maybe some salsa and chips. And a nice transfer. A nice 4k HD transfer. Not to be superficial but I think my latest viewing was blowing out a 29.97 frame rate at me for whatever reason and it looked like murky early dvd quality or even vhs video, but not the good kind

Sorry, got interrupted by a co-worker. Anyway, back to real business.

The story, like you mention, is what really impressed me. You make a clear assessment of the plot and how prejudices and fear shape history. I thought Chris Cooper's acting was tremendous. Subtle but perfect for the role. Once things started heating up for him, that's when I really started to appreciate his style. I think he was the very best casting choice in this film.

I also think that this film deserves more than one watch. It took me multiple views, and it's odd that I'd be willing to do that for a movie like this, but something is there that is beyond a breakdown or analysis. A vibe maybe, or just the locations, can't be sure and don't feel the need to inspect it anymore than I already have.

But I do notice this film opens up a lot better on more than one viewing. If anything, I think me over-watching it has had an adverse effect, lol.

i was just watching bits of pieces of Empire of Passion and i liked it for what i've seen. I'm gonna watch the whole thing during the weekend and write some thoughts. Also, I apologize for writing my reviews so thin, however please note, each word in my reviews has meaning and goes to the point. Also, lately, I am very busy at my work and frequenting my favourite and best site quite less than i used to.

@Joel

I don't think I mentioned this, but when I watched Lone Star it reminded me a lot of the TV show Twin Peaks (1990-1991). Lone Star's director would seem to have been inspired by that show, have you seen it?

Twin Peaks was set in a small, quirky, out of the way logging town in Washington state. A detective who's an outsider comes to uncover a murder mystery. In doing so he runs into all these colorful oddball characters who turn out to be more of a mystery than the murder itself (sound familiar?)

In Twin Peaks we never really get to know the people well, they exist in a odd Lynchian way. Lone Star has a lot of the hallmarks of that show.

I think the 'forced acting', that you mentioned is intentional by the director...as Lone Star doesn't play out like ultra realism, but like a surreal 'other world'...like the people in Twin Peaks.

I think your movie is better than you're giving it credit for. I know your nom took some hard knocks, hell most all of the noms have there detractors, and yeah it sucks when people hate on your nom, (oh believe me I know) but you're a good sport about it and I'm glad you joined.

Just to update you all on my progress.

I've already watch Grand Illusion and will get my thoughts up soon

I've got Mommy, Empire of Passion and Time of the Gypsies left to watch and I'm hoping to finish them by the weekend.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

@Joel

I don't think I mentioned this, but when I watched Lone Star it reminded me a lot of the TV show Twin Peaks (1990-1991). Lone Star's director would seem to have been inspired by that show, have you seen it?

Twin Peaks was set in a small, quirky, out of the way logging town in Washington state. A detective who's an outsider comes to uncover a murder mystery. In doing so he runs into all these colorful oddball characters who turn out to be more of a mystery than the murder itself (sound familiar?)

In Twin Peaks we never really get to know the people well, they exist in a odd Lynchian way. Lone Star has a lot of the hallmarks of that show.

I think the 'forced acting', that you mentioned is intentional by the director...as Lone Star doesn't play out like ultra realism, but like a surreal 'other world'...like the people in Twin Peaks.

I think your movie is better than you're giving it credit for. I know your nom took some hard knocks, hell most all of the noms have there detractors, and yeah it sucks when people hate on your nom, (oh believe me I know) but you're a good sport about it and I'm glad you joined.
Oh believe me i know,,, hahahahaaa!!

Sorry bro! I know i was a bit cranky on your nom lololol

But yes i e seen some twin peaks and youre right. I think i just need to see lonestar under better circumstances. Decent transfer, some snacks, better mood etc !

I think I later nominated Rock and Rule in that Animation Tournament Camo ran.
Holy crap i never finished that!

Think the final happened during one of my exiles. I went to check there and i didn't declare a winner, funny thing is it's 6-6 The tournament that will never die. If anyone who didn't vote in that final wants to tell me what they like better out of Up and WALL-E we can give that tournament it's well deserved rest.

But yes i e seen some twin peaks and youre right. I think i just need to see lonestar under better circumstances. Decent transfer, some snacks, better mood etc !
Ahh, you're fine...you reviewed my nom and called it as you seen it, so no worries at all.

Did you watch a crappy transfer of Lone Star? I know a really crappy video quality can effect my enjoyment of a film. Especially if the format is changed to pan and scan so all one sees is close ups of someones face...I hate that. What I had for Lone Star looked decent.

Ahh, you're fine...you reviewed my nom and called it as you seen it, so no worries at all.

Did you watch a crappy transfer of Lone Star? I know a really crappy video quality can effect my enjoyment of a film. Especially if the format is changed to pan and scan so all one sees is close ups of someones face...I hate that. What I had for Lone Star looked decent.
My source is widescreen its just muddy looking. I keep pestering Criterion and Kino about it but thats a long shot lol

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i was just watching bits of pieces of Empire of Passion and i liked it for what i've seen. I'm gonna watch the whole thing during the weekend and write some thoughts. Also, I apologize for writing my reviews so thin, however please note, each word in my reviews has meaning and goes to the point. Also, lately, I am very busy at my work and frequenting my favourite and best site quite less than i used to.
It's never about the length but WHAT you have to say, so don't worry about that

Barton Fink

Barton fink is definitely a unique film, it consists of mostly dialogue ranging from frantic and full of energy dialogue to much more low key dialogue. The performances are good and definitely the movie feels well cast. I felt the one theme that prevailed most was fraudulence all around you and even unknowingly inside you.Barton is a writer who gets a contract in hollywood and when he arrives their he encounters all these characters who are not what they truly are in some way and although I dont think he realizes it it can be inferred that Barton himself is not entirely genuine. For example W.P Mayhew a writer he meets that he greatly admires turns out to
WARNING: "movie spoilers" spoilers below
have not actually written his books

Its almost as if Barton is a child and Hollywood is adulthood because of the naivety that he shows. In terms of my overall thoughts on the film I am not sure what I would rate it although I definitely like the film just not sure to what degree

nice david bowie poster
I know, right? That's actually a tin painting, made of metal. The back has a magnet adhesed to the wall for adjusting.positioning/aligning easily...easier than the ttwo extra words I used, anyway

I wanted to say...La Grande Illusion...I can't stop thinking about that movie. The way they handled that quick start romance. It was so expedited and efficient but effective. I've never seen that before. The acting. When she handed him that bucket it was all over! Crazy!

La Grande Illusion (1937)

This was another film I hadn't heard of before joining this HoF and part of the reason I wanted to participate in this was to watch films like this which I normally wouldn't watch.

La Grande Illusion is a 1937 anti-war film about a group of French soldiers attempting to escape a German POW camp during World War 1.

I had mixed feelings towards this one. I thought the cast was quite good and that the film had great cinematography. Despite that I thought the plot had too many elements to it and that made the plot hard to follow at times. I also felt that the romance subplot towards the end seemed shoehorned in and along with a couple of other scenes, I felt it could've been cut out. Despite that I can see the influence of the film on many later ones.

Overall, while I did somewhat like this nom, it was something I respected more than liked and it would probably be sometime before I revisit it again.