Animal Cruelty In Films

Tools    

Also their is a difference in a humane slaughter of an animal instead of torturing an animal

I would have a problem with it if it came off as unnecessary, and it also depends on the level of cruelty, so far, from what I've seen, it has yet to genuinely anger me
Maybe that's because most of the films I've seen with relevance to the subject contain an animal's slaughter in a "humane" way.
Go watch Cannibal Holocaust uncut and we can talk.

But still you say,
I would have a problem with it if it came off as unnecessary
So there are examples, in your opinion, where cruelty to animals benefit your joy in entertainment? That there are examples where animal cruelty can feel like a "necessity" to the movie? Actually killing animals purely for our entertainment, can be a necessary thing?

So anyways, what have you seen of animal cruelty in movies?

I'd always want to see some respect for the animal in how it's filmed. I remember seeing a scene of kangaroo hunting in Walkabout (1971) and it was unpleasant but documentary-like in nature, simply showing how the animals are killed for food.
I think there are a couple of different things going on in that film, and woven in rather deftly by Nicholas Roeg. First, yes, he's trying to show how the aboriginals hunt solely for food, and not waste anything they kill for food and other purposes. But he also needed to show the wastefulness of "sport hunting" and how that was going to ruin the existence of food/sustenance hunting for the aboriginal people. It's one of the the things (along with his advances being rejected by the girl) that causes the aboriginal boy to commit suicide.

Also their is a difference in a humane slaughter of an animal instead of torturing an animal
I have a hard time imagining a ''humane'' way of killing an animal personally, what do you mean by it?

I have a hard time imagining a ''humane'' way of killing an animal personally, what do you mean by it?
Yeah their truly is no "humane" way. I just meant humane as killing the animal quickly and efficiently vs torturing an animal.

Not animal cruelty. Pretty sure he just filmed native people doing what they normally do
I dont know, wheres the line exactly between "animal cruelty" and "just filming" when your native extras slaughter a water buffalo on set and you put it in the movie? It was super effective but it WAS the actual killing of a live animal on film. That fits in my book. Still love the movie. But Copola did deserve some of the crap he got for that.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
But Copola did deserve some of the crap he got for that.
So did Deodato.

movies can be okay...
Go watch Cannibal Holocaust uncut and we can talk.
Heard about it, not interested though.

But still you say,
So there are examples, in your opinion, where cruelty to animals benefit your joy in entertainment?
Show me where I've said that.
Also, you keep implying as if all a film can offer is entertainment, which is not the case.
That there are examples where animal cruelty can feel like a "necessity" to the movie?
Me saying that I would have a problem with animal cruelty if it came off as unnecessary, shouldn't automatically mean that I think animal cruelty is necessary when it doesn't come off as unnecessary. Does that make sense ?
I mean if it happens, and it is vital to the film's plot, then it doesn't bother me as much...

Actually killing animals purely for our entertainment, can be a necessary thing?
Again, no. But, if the animal is killed in a proper manner, then eaten (in the film's universe or the real world), then I don't see what's the big deal at all...and this also happens to be the case in most of the films I've seen.

So anyways, what have you seen of animal cruelty in movies?
I'm not gonna mention the movies for obvious reasons.
These are just from the top of my head:
- The beheading of a chicken
- A Pig getting shot
- Deers getting shot
- A lot of fish outside of water
- A dog's head being violently grabbed
- Animals tied to stones
- Frogs getting blown up
- Dogs fighting
- Dead rabbits
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I think there are a couple of different things going on in that film, and woven in rather deftly by Nicholas Roeg. First, yes, he's trying to show how the aboriginals hunt solely for food, and not waste anything they kill for food and other purposes. But he also needed to show the wastefulness of "sport hunting" and how that was going to ruin the existence of food/sustenance hunting for the aboriginal people. It's one of the the things

WARNING: spoilers below
(along with his advances being rejected by the girl) that causes the aboriginal boy to commit suicide
I've never seen it all the way through but it's interesting to know about the sport hunting angle.

Again, no. But, if the animal is killed in a proper manner, then eaten (in the film's universe or the real world), then I don't see what's the big deal at all...and this also happens to be the case in most of the films I've seen.
A bit of a harsh comparison but for me that would be like if someone said it would be ok to show a kid being run over in a movie because he was being a goose on the road and was going to get run over nyway. I just dont want to see animals being killed in my fictional viewing any more than I want to see footage of people jumping out of the twin towers in a movie about 9/11.

Heard about it, not interested though.
Then it's difficult to discuss this with you or even make your opinion on the subject valid - especially since you don't wanna list the actual movies you have seen... It's hard for me to put things in perspective purely from this check-list you gave me...
- The beheading of a chicken
- A Pig getting shot
- Deers getting shot
- A lot of fish outside of water
- A dog's head being violently grabbed
- Animals tied to stones
- Frogs getting blown up
- Dogs fighting
- Dead rabbits

Show me where I've said that.
That what I make of it.

You say "I would have a problem with it if it came off as unnecessary", which means, that you don't have a problem with it if it's necessary, which means, you think a movie may benefit from animal cruelty or at least you are indifferent to whether it's there or not.

So if you would have a problem with it only if it feels unnecessary, then that means you've got examples of animal cruelty that can feel like a "necessity" to the movie? Like I said before, actually killing animals purely for our entertainment, can be a necessary thing?

Also, you keep implying as if all a film can offer is entertainment, which is not the case.
And you keep forgetting that movies are an "entertainment medium" and not just in the literal sense of the word.

Description of the word: Entertainment is a form of activity that holds the attention and interest of an audience. so you clearly misunderstand the word in its true form.

Movies are made to "entertain" the viewer, whether that means stimulate the mind, soul, body, laughter, sadness or whatever. They are made for you to "enjoy", dissect, study or whatever word you want to use...

That means, that cruelty to animals in films is there, just so we can sit on our a** for 2 hours and have something interesting to do. Just for our own pleasure. I don't think that's a valid excuse for cruelty to animals.

Me saying that I would have a problem with animal cruelty if it came off as unnecessary, shouldn't automatically mean that I think animal cruelty is necessary when it doesn't come off as unnecessary. Does that make sense ?
That's actually the most sense you've made so far, yes. Your point of view was unclear before to me.

movies can be okay...
A bit of a harsh comparison but for me that would be like if someone said it would be ok to show a kid being run over in a movie because he was being a goose on the road and was going to get run over nyway. I just dont want to see animals being killed in my fictional viewing any more than I want to see footage of people jumping out of the twin towers in a movie about 9/11.
It's not even just a harsh comparison but also a dumb one.

It's not even just a harsh comparison but also a dumb one.
Oh thanks. You sure are polite today. You started a thread to ask people what they thought about animal cruelty in movies and want to run down anyone who doesnt slap you on the back. Clutch my pearls my weekend has been rrrruined.
Get some manners.

While I don't condone with the killing of animals for films, it doesn't particularly anger me as it doesn't happen often and I have no personal connection with the animals.

Though the Coati stabbing in Cannibal Holocaust did made me cringe really badly.

@Dani8

Okay might not have been polite in his response but the comparison you made was rather inane. There's no reasonable comparison to be made between a human child being run over by a car (something that would be likely accidental irl but would pretty much have to be deliberate in a film) and, say, slaughtering a domestic pig with a bolt gun on camera.

What do you think 'this is a harsh comparison meant'? OK so a better comparison is using real footage of people jumping out of the twin towers for a movie which I gave. The sentiment is the same, and I did express for the hard of hearing that it was my opinion. I havent judged anyone as being dumb for not being affected by animal cruelty on screen. To each their own. If he wants a discussion about this topic he sure is going the wrong way about it. Talk about a debbie downer lately. The age of etiquette is dead.

What do you think 'this is a harsh comparison meant'? OK so a better comparison is using real footage of people jumping out of the twin towers for a movie which I gave. The sentiment is the same, and I did express for the hard of hearing that it was my opinion. I havent judged anyone as being dumb for not being affected by animal cruelty on screen. To each their own. If he wants a discussion about this topic he sure is going the wrong way about it. Talk about a debbie downer lately. The age of etiquette is dead.
Don't worry, some people's only release is to systematically try and deconstruct you and your thoughts to the point of numbness. This is where debate class has gone to die.

Don't worry, some people's only release is to systematically try and deconstruct you and your thoughts to the point of numbness. This is where debate class has gone to die.
Some days I feel like I've been dragged in to the riff raff hell that is parliament.

movies can be okay...
Then it's difficult to discuss this with you or even make your opinion on the subject valid
Since when does watching Cannibal Holocaust validate one's opinion on any subject ?
- especially since you don't wanna list the actual movies you have seen... It's hard for me to put things in perspective purely from this check-list you gave me...
Put what in perspective ?
But if you insist here are the movies in the order I initially gave:
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
- Caché
- Benny's Video
- Too many movies to name, but The Hunt for example.
- Too many movies to name, but The Seventh Continent for example.
- Krisha
- Spring, Summer, Autumn, Fall...and Spring.
- The Holy Mountain
- A bunch of movies such as Amores Perros and The Holy Mountain
- El Topo
- I'd also like to add a scene I just remembered from Babel of a chicken's head being snapped.

You say "I would have a problem with it if it came off as unnecessary", which means, that you don't have a problem with it if it's necessary, which means, you think a movie may benefit from animal cruelty or at least you are indifferent to whether it's there or not.
The latter.

So if you would have a problem with it only if it feels unnecessary, then that means you've got examples of animal cruelty that can feel like a "necessity" to the movie? Like I said before, actually killing animals purely for our entertainment, can be a necessary thing?
Again, me saying that I would have a problem with animal cruelty if it came off as unnecessary, shouldn't automatically mean that I think animal cruelty is necessary when it doesn't come off as unnecessary.

And you keep forgetting that movies are an "entertainment medium" and not just in the literal sense of the word.

Description of the word: Entertainment is a form of activity that holds the attention and interest of an audience. so you clearly misunderstand the word in its true form.

Movies are made to "entertain" the viewer, whether that means stimulate the mind, soul, body, laughter, sadness or whatever. They are made for you to "enjoy", dissect, study or whatever word you want to use...
You have a point there, I falsely assumed you were implying the word as in amusement and enjoyment.

That means, that cruelty to animals in films is there, just so we can sit on our a** for 2 hours and have something interesting to do. Just for our own pleasure. I don't think that's a valid excuse for cruelty to animals.
Nor do I, nor have I ever said that animal cruelty is necessary when making a film. My opinion on the subject is that it doesn't bother me as much if I see some sort of purpose to it, this can differ from a person to another since everyone interprets things differently, so even if you see no purpose to it I can.

movies can be okay...
Oh thanks. You sure are polite today. You started a thread to ask people what they thought about animal cruelty in movies and want to run down anyone who doesnt slap you on the back. Clutch my pearls my weekend has been rrrruined.
Get some manners.
Ehh, sure I wasn't polite but the absurdity of your comparison literally caught me off guard.
Also how exactly am I running down anyone when literally no one (I think) has agreed with me so far, yet the only "rude" comment I've made was after a beyond harsh comparison was applied.
Don't worry about my manners though. I'm good.