14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Wait, its supposed to be like that? Cause I tried to watch it and the aspect ratio made me think something was wrong with the stream I was using so I had to bail
Me, too

I didnt bail, I just checked my dvd menu.And wikipedia lol

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
couldn't read the Time of the Gypsies or Mommy, so will have to wait to enjoy them

Joel brought this up already, but how did an Indie film maker afford to use Oasis Wonderwall in Mommy? I mean big name songs have become so expensive that's rare to hear them in movies anymore.

The skateboard/Wonderwall scene was another really good use of changing film ratio, from narrow 1:1 to full screen wide. I did like the way the boys hands seems to push his world wider when he was at peace on the skateboard....I mean longboard.

Barton Fink

aka: The Precarious Predicament of Writer's Block

On my second viewing (also known by Rocky Horror fans as "into heavy petting") I was able to fully enjoy the "empty spaces" which @Citizen Rules expressed with both imagery and text; as well as something that was at the back of my brain while watching this the first time and I was able to confirm, having read the remark by @CosmicRunaway regarding the reference to Naked Lunch. Which the hotel definitely had that surreal connection to via the architecture and the mood of it all. And, watching a second time, I totally see what had previously been hinted at.
One other minor amusing observation was that, this being about a playwright, the very structure of this movie seems to set up LIKE a play. It has that feel at its very core of it. To me, it seems, anyway.

Regardless, this is, by all nuance, eccentricity and overall composition, a Coen Film. And, for anyone knowing what that entails, will understand and be enthusiastic, or possibly, should such a concept by an unpleasant one, then the apt emotion will be complete trepidation.
Because, as I've bluntly stated, this IS a Coen Film. Filled with awkward anxiety, surreal proposition, meandering dialogue and an off-center perception that borders hallucinogenic comprehension; the entire concoction mixed, blended and cleverly put on cinematic display.
For this particular endeavor, the witticisms seem to stem from inner pain; much like the leading character, (played with sublime genius by Turturro) expresses during a picnic, that any worthwhile writing comes from pain. While at the same time, the aforementioned "empty spaces" seem to allow us a safe distance to observe while leaving the extent of our emotional involvement up to us.

Along with Turturro, were other Coen "regulars" such as Buscemi and, of course, the powerhouse hitter of the Coen roster; John Goodman. In fact, the entire cast bring in strong performances; some of which have just enough hint of mockery to their character without making it such.

Now, where would I put this regarding other Coen films? Definitely in the upper echelon, that's for sure. And definitely a mandatory watch for any Coen film fan. Thanks @Yam12 for nominating this.

Legend in my own mind
Just moved house today. Off now until the 16th of October so from this weekend (after the boxes have been cleared, and the new TV arrives on Friday ) I will be all over this like a cheap suit.

just posting these again to save on searching for them in the thread. The original list that Raul posted is on page 11

M- Cosmic Runaway
La Grand Illusion- Edarsenal
Mommy- Cricket
Passengers- Citizen Rules
Black Snake Moan- Miss Vicky
Contratiempo- Sarge
The Hurricane- Rauldc
Barton Fink- Yam12
Lonestar- Joel
Dom Za Vesanje- Jeff Costello
Empire of Passion- Jiraffe
Night on Earth- Nestorio

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Mommy SPOILERS

This was a nomination that I had never previously heard of. What sticks out is the great acting of the 3 leads. These aren't the most like able people but I felt like they did a good job of portraying the emotions of their characters. There were certainly some tense scenes that obviously worked real well due to the talents of the actors.

There were some pretty dismal scenes, but they were fun to watch in a way, if that makes sense. It was fun to see what Steve would do after he sang, as well as the tense scene where he is taken away. I didn't really much like the scene where Steve cut himself, but I suppose I can see why the director chose to include such a scene.

I felt like sometimes the relationship between Steve and his mother felt good, like he wanted her or something. It felt a little strange to me and I was wondering how others felt about this. I thought it would have taken a bigger angle at a love story between his neighbor and him.

The songs were pretty great but like others brought up, how the hell did an indie get them in their film?

Overall, glad I watched it. Not sure I'll see it anytime soon, but it was a nomination that was really an interesting one.

Passengers

~~~SPOILERS~~~

I will say this. I enjoyed it. Even it's saccharine, Hollywood formulated happy ending.
There were a few ways this COULD have went and reading past reviews and discussions, Cosmic had a few I was considering as well. . .

again, SPOILERS - STOP reading if you haven't seen this!!

Pratt character's dying. Pretty good. Seeing the beginning of Lawrence being placed in the same moral dilemma kinda plays out like a great lil Twilight Zone episode or reminiscent of some of the 70's more fatalistic sci-fi films.
Pratt's character being resuscitated and then Lawrence taking up the option of going back into hibernation has this lone warrior making amends for past sins that I've enjoyed in many Asian movies.
And for a split second I ACTUALLY thought they were gonna go with the second one and the romantic in me was kinda happy they didn't.
Happy endings ARE rather scarce nowadays, so it was kinda cool. Downright idealistic, really. I mean, in space. In a spaceship that supplies all your physical and entertainment needs (basically) and one of them is a mechanic who can fiddle about with ***** to make adjustments. . . not too frickin shabby.

As for would I do the same thing in Pratt's position? I honestly don't know. And it does show that he does it in a moment of desperation and spends months pondering it before giving in. It is one of those questions that cannot truthfully be answered until IN such a situation.
Like hearing people talk about what they'd do in an action/horror/mystery movie from the comforts of their couch. Seriously? You'd do, what? I never believe them.
I would rather not do what he did, but, after a few years. . . I don't honestly know. I do know if the ship was falling apart I'd be shrugging my shoulders and saying, "Well, let's get drunk and f@ck one last time, cuz we're f@ckin dead."

So, behind the moral pondering and feelings regarding the ending, I must say I enjoyed this. Fishburne popping up DID seem like a writer getting themselves out of a painted corner, but still, I was happy to see this film.
Thanks, @Citizen Rules.

Oh, the ship was F@CKIN AMAZING!!!! The design, the set up. . . BRILLIANT

Mommy

I felt like sometimes the relationship between Steve and his mother felt good, like he wanted her or something. It felt a little strange to me and I was wondering how others felt about this...
I think what we're seeing is: a near adult teenager who's emotional state is stuck at 5 years old. That's why he lashes out and throws tantrums. I don't think he 'wanted' her in a weird way, but he needed her to be a mommy to him, like a small child would. That's my take on it.

Passengers

Oh, the ship was F@CKIN AMAZING!!!! The design, the set up. . . BRILLIANT
High praise for the ship, must mean you didn't like it Which is OK, of course.

I'm betting Passengers ends up at the bottom 1/3rd of the movie list, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it comes in dead last.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
High praise for the ship, must mean you didn't like it Which is OK, of course.

I'm betting Passengers ends up at the bottom 1/3rd of the movie list, and I wouldn't even be surprised if it comes in dead last.

I haven't seen it yet, but I would assume there's a pretty likely chance of me enjoying it.

I feel like I should watch Mommy since a few people have reviewed it now and I want to read what everyone's been saying haha. I haven't watched anything since my last update, but I might watch something tomorrow after work. I still haven't decided on what though.

I'm looking forward to seeing IT this weekend, so I'm kind of in a horror-film mood. Unfortunately none of these nominations meet that criteria. Empire of Passion was the closest, but I already watched that.

I was hesitant to get excited for it when I first heard about the new adaptation (I rather liked the other one with Tim Curry), but I like the different direction it seems to be going in. And my mom agreed to come in town to see it this weekend, which is great. I'm probably just as interested in her opinion as I am about seeing the actual film. Not only is she a huge Stephen King fan, but she loves horror movies, so this creepier version might be right up her ally.