Greatest Horror Icon

Tools    

ok, but as i've said, who says that the greatest horror icon has to be a character from a book or movie, Stephen King, John Carpenter, Bram Stokes, these are the people who came up with these demons and killers

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
ok, but as i've said, who says that the greatest horror icon has to be a character from a book or movie, Stephen King, John Carpenter, Bram Stokes, these are the people who came up with these demons and killers

And Boris Karloff is the one who portrayed such monsters.

fair enough

There is always a spotlight for the villain in any of these movies, so, really, you can take your pick. They've all got something going for them, especially those with 6+ sequels or incarnations. Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Dracula, etc., etc.--I certainly can't disagree with any of those choices.

But my vote for Greatest Horror Icon goes out to a character without whom none of these films--not to mention the notoriety of the iconic villains--would be possible:

The Idiot Victim

Ready to trip on a tree's root (or nothing at all) and crawl away from an advancing killer at a moment's notice, willing to leap out a second story window and somehow only suffer a twisted ankle in a single bound. There could be no body count without bodies, no terror without the terrorized--and that's where the Idiot Victim comes in, always doing the wrong thing at the wrong time to ensure that the film trundles on for at least an hour and a half, give or take. They give their blood--and, if a female I.V., often show their boobies--to give the killer something to do while the hero/heroine figures out how to stop said bad guy. And that's a sacrifice that needs to be acknowledged.

Idiot Victim, I salute you. You show me what not to do if I ever hear a noise outside (or in the basement, or attic, or... anywhere, actually) in the middle of the night.

waterisforcowards,waterma kesyouweak
Originally Posted by Michael_myers
Jack the ripper was the original REAL LIFE slasher

Originally Posted by reservoirdogs
Jack the ripper was the original REAL LIFE slasher
I'm sure that there were other slashers before him.

Originally Posted by Garrett
True. He was just the first one to get serious publicity.

My ultimate horror movie icon, and a good guy to boot.

Ash

And this is my BOOMstick!
Originally Posted by Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD

I think I've posted here before but I'm gonna post again anyway b'otch.

In my opinion the most interesting horror movie icon would be Freddy Krueger. But my favorite is Leatherface. He's a frickin' beast man!
And found he was eating his shoe.

You ready? You look ready.
Mr. Caveman. He kills with deadly bones and the he moans.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I don't think there can possibly be the ultimate horror icon, because theres too many good ones.

But off the record= Freddy

Hmmm, a sharp rock, but would Mr Caveman have the ingenuity to do anything other than pummel? He'd graze his prey and think 'duuuuuh, no dead' then resort to pummeling.

Karen Black; although not what you would call a 'horror' Icon, seemed to me a very well association of horror films. Some of her films were Burnt Offerings and just her look or part in the film you could feel that the film was going to be good.

ok, well i definately agree with mary loquacious, but Reservoir dogs, Vlad the Impaler long predated Jack the Ripper

but there are definately too many good icons to say that any one is the greatest, you might as well say that the guy from Storm of the Century is the GHI