Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Goodfellas (1990) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Stranger (1946)
++ A really great suspense movie with Edward G Robinson, Loretta Young and Orson Wells.
Want to thank Citizen Rules and Cricket for this one. May have to make room for this on my 40s List.

The Uninvited (2009) - The Guard Brothers

- Saw the twist coming 25min in the movie... it was obvious but the built was quite nice. Cast was decent nothing more and storyline was decent too. Not a bad horror flick but pretty average.
+

Dunkirk 2017 movie .......................8/10

Shonen merikensak (2008)

Been a long time I want to see it, as they got punk+aoi miyazaki+kudokan's comedy..... but the rest of it was bad. Definitely the guy kudokan was not director~writer type and this one got his worst of writing when attempted to mix mockumentary, sentimental road drama with interconnecting past and present of the band story, executed directional-ly with such a mess. I can still be forgive if The jokes were.... Only it felt wry and half baked many occasions tho' when it hit, it hit punk-ly.
4/10 + Endo Michiro's Cameo

Sh*t I just can't get ride this verse out of my head, damn you telya
anduromeda omaewa..anduromeda anduromeda anduromeda wuuuo...

that title somehow......

As Both of the actress got japan academy awards last year, rie miyazawa and... I forgot her kid name again :/ , thing caught my attention. But then I guess the standard must be pretty low nowadays (or I just expecting it more). Feel it was just decent, they just crying lot.
It's get and exploit tropes that I'd not seen for a while, terminal illness and bullying-sidestory- which was pretty boring first half. Turned the 2nd half, thing started gettin' better, when the twist like "actually you were not my [spoiler] but her [spoiler]" T_T , only yeah as the mom severe ill definitely goes bad, can't pumped my quassi emotion much more till The pyramid scene, it was nice t_t.
There things I want to nitpicking like the mis en scene when they placed character(s) wandering, sit, or stand at each of it sets , waiting for other character(s) to come then "dialog" started, something like that... pretty much fappanese melodrama. well I guess that's too trivial even for point it out it as lazy attempt of writing or too repetitive use of technique and styles.

Then it come the ending. about how it feel and look, It sweet. but there this weird feeling or small vibe of horror, somehow......
.....it fit the title, yeah I can see why :')
Nice ost, they got kinoko teikoku

5/10

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
Typical australian film - no promotion down this way. Trailer looks good.

Looks like no distribution either. Only getting a release at this stage at a film festival in one state.
IFC Midnight actually scored the distribution rights and released the film in a limited theatrical release, VOD, and Digital HD this past Friday I even got to interview Damien Power, very nice guy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Take Me

(Pat Healy)

A harmless, yet predictable kidnapping flick. It will garner a snicker here or there, but most of the time you're waiting for the film to catch up to the point you know it will eventually arrive at, which stalls any sort of suspense the film wants to generate.

Ray runs an awkward and unconventional business. He's an entrepreneur who specializes in high-end simulated abductions. That's right, he kidnaps you. He receives a phone call from someone looking to pay a lot of money to be kidnapped for an entire weekend. This goes against one of the ground rules Ray has, which is to not kidnap someone for more than eight hours. He goes against his gut when the money is too good to turn down. Things get a little complicated when the question arises; did he kidnap the right person?

Parts of the film work and work well. The on screen chemistry between Schilling and Healy manages to hold the film together for the short running time. There are several role reversals here that work for the story and the two of them manage to play off each other to positive comical effect. This is a small film, with very few characters, so the success of it really relies on these two. They succeed in their part, but the film itself fails them.

Where the film faults is the idea that it thinks it can trick the audience, or at the very least make them question the possible outcomes. Too many instances did Healy try to make you believe one thing, only to try and shake that belief in the next scene. To me, there were too many obvious signs that pointed to only one possible outcome for the story. While the film starts off with an interesting concept, it quickly falls into mediocrity that makes me question if the script should have taken more chances. The obvious answer is yes....it should have,

Suspect's Reviews

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Nuns are so friggin hot but I seem to struggle with their movies.
That's because you're watching the wrong kind of nun movies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

This was very funny at times but not really special overall. I felt like it relied a bit too much on swearing for humour. Swearing can be very funny, but if you're relying on it too much your script has issues. The best part of this is that they managed to get so many actual stars of the music world to participate with straight faces which blurred the satire lines completely. The joke of the final song falls a bit flat because it sounds a bit too much like Everything is Awesome. But I did have the Bin Laden song stuck in my head for a while afterwards.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping

This was very funny at times but not really special overall. I felt like it relied a bit too much on swearing for humour. Swearing can be very funny, but if you're relying on it too much your script has issues. The best part of this is that they managed to get so many actual stars of the music world to participate with straight faces which blurred the satire lines completely. The joke of the final song falls a bit flat because it sounds a bit too much like Everything is Awesome. But I did have the Bin Laden song stuck in my head for a while afterwards.

Watched that the other day, gave it .5 less than you but felt about the same. Think the funniest part in the film for me was after the gay marriage song when Ringo says "He's writing this song for gay marriage as if it's not allowed...it's allowed now"

Also the first line of the Mona Lisa song and Surprise Muthafcka with Snoop Dogg because i wasn't expecting either of them.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Watched that the other day, gave it .5 less than you but felt about the same. Think the funniest part in the film for me was after the gay marriage song when Ringo says "He's writing this song for gay marriage as if it's not allowed...it's allowed now"

Also the first line of the Mona Lisa song and Surprise Muthafcka with Snoop Dogg because i wasn't expecting either of them.
Yeah, it's somewhere between a 3 and a 3.5. I was feeling generous because it made me laugh. My favourite line was about the jeep song, "I couldn't really relate to that... cause I had different things in my jeep." But I think it was the delivery that made that so funny. And the whole section with the wolves.

First thing, the body count in this film was far bigger than I thought it would be. And the movie gets hilariously mean with some of the deaths (which I like). I understand by design that Godzilla and King Kong movies are anti-war/anti-colonialism, but it was far too much on the nose for me with Kong: Skull Island. I did enjoy the Vietnam Era aesthetics, which probably contributed to the "in your face" anti-war rhetoric.

The acting is the best you can hope for a movie like this. I thought Hiddleton (and I'm a Hiddleton fan) was as plastic as his action figure role, and as usual, Shea Whigham stands out and is excellent in everything he does.

My biggest gripe is that the skullcrawlers were a dumb design, and just didn't seem like that big of a threat for Kong.

Kong: Skull Island is definitely work a look and I liked it far better than it's monster counterpart reboot of Godzilla (2014).

RATING:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- is the best way I can describe A Cure for Wellness. It looks amazing and Jason Issac is easily the best part of the movie. I love the creepy sanitarium feel and I was all over these eels being everywhere. I even love when the movie cranks it up to 11 in the third act. The movie's weakness is its length. Holy **** is this movie an endurance competition with whoever you're watching it with. You can probably chop 40 minutes off of this film and we'd still be good.

RATING

movies can be okay...
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Abscence of Malice (1981)

Despite the New York Times & New Yorker giving this movie bad reviews, I went ahead anyway. They were right. First 15 minutes or so before I bailed out were a hot mess.

ATROCIOUS. Avoid at all costs.