Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Pit and the Pendulum (1961, Roger Corman)

This Beautiful Fantastic

Came across this movie by chance and glad I did. There was so much I felt that could have been better and tweaked but overall I enjoyed it. The highlight for me was Tom Wilkinson. One of his top performances. The relationship he had with Jessica Brown Findlay was touching. Typical "grumpy old man has a heart" character but played it perfectly.

Not the greatest or most memorable film you'll ever see but definitely worth a shot if you dig rom-coms.

~Groundhog Day~

Snowden
6/10Fascinating story, great acting, horrendous pacing, unimaginative direction, different sub-plots just didn't mesh together well at all. Shame as this is a truly fascinating story but that was pretty much all that was keeping me in this movie

Capote (2005) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Children of Men (2006)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
First time or a rewatch, FB?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The mummy 2 which was on TV. Always stands up to a re-watch for some fun. Bucket of popcorn.

Rumble Fish - Another blind buy from the Criterion 50% off sale. Didn't look into the special features or read the booklet yet, however, it's a puzzling film I haven't put together yet. Not to say that I don't like it... in fact, I enjoyed it immensely. I feel on repeat viewings I'll have greater depth and appreciation for the film itself. Not going to rate it now, I just want to stew on this one.

Jeepers Creepers

Good first third......the rest ain't that good....or scary.

2 and a half out of 5

Jeepers Creepers 2

Trash, couldn't finish it.

Why did I watch the second after the first? I'm stupid.

1 out of 5

Both are amazing flick

Spider-man: Homecoming falls in line with the rest of these horrid Summer Blockbuster Comic Book films, with wafer-thin plot development at it's disposal but an abundance of CGI to help glue it altogether. I recalled it in the movie actually, it was so very meta; a ferry, (metaphor for a decent script or vision), is cut in half but spiderman's computer generated glue, (CGI) attempts to hold it together to not much success. This is the folly of every single one of these films, since the days of Jaws and Star Wars, mainstream American cinema has been about the money men marketing toys and blankets and tooth paste to the American public. It's not a creative process anymore, it's all about money. Safe scripts, no thought provoking message, haphazard acting, throw in as much "shiny" CGI effects into a two hour film and can it. There's your mainstream American film.

From outset, actors can hardly act because most of their surroundings are green screen. Nothing real to work with, so if joe-blow wanted to make a movie with his own friends I'd imagine he'd discover his actors acted just like professional ones these days. We are given one overriding theme in the script, that of Micheal Keaton and Tom Holland, but most of it is a long pubescent whine coming from Tom Holland aka Spiderman.

The story, outside the main story, seems to be an inner collection of smaller stories. Watch Peter Parker fawn endlessly over his crush Liz. Watch Peter Parker botch his first attempts at crime stopping. Or Michelle acting weird. Frankly, I don't care. It didn't mean anything to me or the script, if this is attempts at character illustration and building, come on... you have a budget, do something important with it!

The one thing to this films credit though was a technique utilizing Hitchcockian suspense. Whereby the audience knows, (and Parker knows), something that the Keaton's character does not. And they rode it out appropriately. They even crescendoed the moment auditorially which I thought was a nice touch.

Outside this the film was an abysmal bore. I'm not amused by "shiny" cinema. If you can call it cinema... it's more of a "product" than a film. If film were food, I chose a nice French Restaurant where it seems the masses still love their Mickey D's. Not for me.

3/10

Welcome to the human race...
Spider-man: Homecoming falls in line with the rest of these horrid Summer Blockbuster Comic Book films, with wafer-thin plot development at it's disposal but an abundance of CGI to help glue it altogether. I recalled it in the movie actually, it was so very meta; a ferry, (metaphor for a decent script or vision), is cut in half but spiderman's computer generated glue, (CGI) attempts to hold it together to not much success.
This metaphor falls apart when you factor in that the ferry is ultimately saved by Iron Man and his vast array of (CGI-rendered) gadgets like rocket boosters and lasers, implying that the "film" isn't saved by CGI but instead by...even more CGI? The rest of your review there reads like more of the same - throwing out concepts but not fleshing them out too well. Seems a bit rich when you're trying to criticise a movie for being empty and meaningless.

This metaphor falls apart when you factor in that the ferry is ultimately saved by Iron Man and his vast array of (CGI-rendered) gadgets like rocket boosters and lasers, implying that the "film" isn't saved by CGI but instead by...even more CGI? The rest of your review there reads like more of the same - throwing out concepts but not fleshing them out too well. Seems a bit rich when you're trying to criticise a movie for being empty and meaningless.
So I guess this means you like Mickey D cinema.