Women who don't marry in old Hollywood movies

Tools    

Hello!

I was wondering if you could think of any old Hollywood movies (preferably pre-code) in which a woman (purposely) doesn't get married. It seems like in most of those pictures, even if the main character is free-spirited, at some point they will settle (i.e. "A Free Soul", 1931). Censors had done that to "Female" (1931) as well.

Any ideas?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hello!

I was wondering if you could think of any old Hollywood movies (preferably pre-code) in which a woman (purposely) doesn't get married. It seems like in most of those pictures, even if the main character is free-spirited, at some point they will settle (i.e. "A Free Soul", 1931). Censors had done that to "Female" (1931) as well.

Any ideas?
I can't at the moment, but I like the topic, and if I think of one, I'll come back... Well, there is "Dodsworth" which isn't quite like it, it's pre-code, but let's just say marriage is just a piece of paper for them.

I don't actually wear pants.
In Who Done It? (1942), the main female leads, Juliet and Jane, don't marry anyone, though it's implied Jane gets with Mr. Turner.

In fact, most of the women in Abbott and Costello's collaborations don't get married. Maybe they get in a romantic relationship with someone towards the end, but no one really marries.

I can't at the moment, but I like the topic, and if I think of one, I'll come back... Well, there is "Dodsworth" which isn't quite like it, it's pre-code, but let's just say marriage is just a piece of paper for them.
Thanks! "Illicit" (1931) is also like that, but it's not exactly non-marrying, as you said.

In Who Done It? (1942), the main female leads, Juliet and Jane, don't marry anyone, though it's implied Jane gets with Mr. Turner.

In fact, most of the women in Abbott and Costello's collaborations don't get married. Maybe they get in a romantic relationship with someone towards the end, but no one really marries.
Thank you, I'll check it out. I wonder if Abbott and Costello ever get any significant female characters, I don't remember.

Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and Doris Day spent most of their careers playing characters who put careers over romance.
Thanks, I could only think of "The Women" with those, and it's rather marriage -oriented, will have to check the rest.

Queen Christina (1933)
Greta Garbo played Queen Christina of Sweden who abdicated her crown so she wouldn't marry.

Queen Christina (1933)
Greta Garbo played Queen Christina of Sweden who abdicated her crown so she wouldn't marry.
Thanks, I've heard about that one, but thought it's more conventional.

My Brilliant Career
As well!

I don't actually wear pants.
Thank you, I'll check it out. I wonder if Abbott and Costello ever get any significant female characters, I don't remember.
I know Lou marries in Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap, and the adult female lead is close to marrying someone in Buck Privates Come Home. I can't think of any others.