My Most Underrated Movie Musical Moments

Tools    

I wish they had cast someone other than Jesse Pearson as Conrad Birdie. He was definitely the weak link in the movie.
Totally agree with you about Jesse Pearson...he was terrible.

"Yours, Yours, Yours" from 1776

This duet between John Adams (William Daniels) and his wife, Abigail (Virginia Vestoff) that takes place even thought the characters are actually in different states, provides the film with one of its loveliest musical moments.

"Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" from High Society

Frank Sinatra and Celeste Holm provide a little more substance to this fluffy Cole Porter tune than it really deserves.

"Just You Wait" from My Fair Lady

It's Marni Nixon's singing voice, but it is really the acting by Audrey Hepburn that makes this comic fantasy number so much fun.

"You Don't Own Me" from The First Wives Club

The main reason I loved this musical finale to this comedy is because I just didn't see it coming. Not to mention that I just love these three ladies.

"There are Worse Things I Could Do" from Grease

This is another of those numbers where the acting is what really makes it work and the acting is done here by one of the best in the business.

"All I Do is Dream of You" from Singin in the Rain

The late Debbie Reynolds was only 18 when she appeared in this movie, but it's really hard to believe at times. She was cute as a button here.

"Tevye's Dream" from Fiddler on the Roof

Yes, I said early that "Chavaleh" is my favorite number in the movie, but this number deserves a place on this list too...Tevye (Topol) somehow has to tell his wife that their daughter Tzeitel (Rosalind Harris) is marrying a poor tailor named Motel (Leonard Frey) instead of the richest man in town, Lazar Wolf (Paul Mann) the butcher and Tevye comes up with this elaborate dream to convince his wife. There is nothing realistic about this number, but it is a lot of fun.

"There are Worse Things I Could Do" from Grease

This is another of those numbers where the acting is what really makes it work and the acting is done here by one of the best in the business.
I like musicals but haven't seen many so I haven't seen many on this list, but I love this scene a lot.

"Crapshooter's Ballet" from Guys and Dolls

I do have some issues with this film, but this ballet is absolutely spectacular featuring some very athletic choreography by Michael Kidd.

"Is Anyone Here for Love" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Everyone remembers Marilyn's iconic "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend", but Jane Russell was given a chance to shine in the film as well and she nailed it. This number is mentioned in the documentary The Celluloid Closet as having strong homoerotic overtones because Russell is strutting her stuff in front of a hundred athletic men who appear to be oblivious of her.

"Rhythm of Life" from Sweet Charity

Powerhouse vocals from Sammy Davis Jr. as Big Daddy and Bob Fosse's brilliantly unconventional choreography make this one a winner...and yes, that is Ben Vereen backing up Sammy during the opening verses.

"Goin Courtin" from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Always loved this nearly forgotten number from the classic where Jane Powell's Milly tries to teach her six new brothers-in-law about the art of courting a woman properly.

"Clap Hands, Here Comes Charley" from Funny Lady

Ben Vereen strikes again in this colorful and energetic number from the 1975 musical...I get tired just watching this one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
"Yours, Yours, Yours" from 1776

This duet between John Adams (William Daniels) and his wife, Abigail (Virginia Vestoff) that takes place even thought the characters are actually in different states, provides the film with one of its loveliest musical moments.

This song isn't one of my favorites from the movie, but I love this scene because it shows a softer side of John Adams that we don't see through most of the rest of the movie.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
"Bang Bang" from Robin and the Seven Hoods
"Rhythm of Life" from Sweet Charity
Any number featuring Sammy gets a thumbs up from me. I love him and everything he does.

"Every Day a Little Death" from A Little Night Music
It is such a shame that this movie isn't better because it is in the top 3 for Sondheim's musicals for me, but that is a pretty good number in the film.

"On the Atchison, Topkea, & the Santa Fe" from The Harvey Girls
I have loved this song for as long as I can remember. When I found out it was from this musical, I loved it even more because it became a big number to watch then.

"Try a Little Tenderness" from The Commitments
That one really is a great moment in the movie.

"Honestly Sincere" from Bye Bye Birdie
I always thought that this was the most underrated song in the musical, period. I've always liked it.

"All I Do is Dream of You" from Singin in the Rain
This has always been one of my favorite songs to sing (of course, I sing the slower, original version). And this is a cute number in the film.

"Is Anyone Here for Love" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
I think most everything in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is underrated. It just seems like people tend to only remember Marilyn in her pink dress singing about diamonds. I don't think most people would realize that it is a pretty decent musical.

"Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar
"Everything's Alright" has always been my favorite, but there is no denying that this song is the strongest in the musical. I saw it when he was still touring with Carl Anderson,
and his performance of "Gethseman" stole the show.

"Goin Courtin" from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Any time Seven Brides for Seven Brothers gets acknowledged somewhere, that is good for me! Still my favorite movie musical.

"Everything's Alright" has always been my favorite, but there is no denying that this song is the strongest in the musical. I saw it when he was still touring with Carl Anderson,
and his performance of "Gethseman" stole the show.

I don't know if I ever told you, but I appeared in two different productions of Jesus Christ Superstar...I played Judas in our high school production and about four years later, I was in the chorus of a community theater production...that show is SO much fun to do, I never get tired of singing those songs.

"Piano Lesson/If You Don't Mind My Saying So"

Forgive the poor quality of the tape, but I really had to include this number, which is our first glance at the movie's leading lady. Prudish Marian Paroo (Shirley Jones) has been followed home by traveling salesman Harold Hill (Robert Preston) and tells her mother (Pert Kelton) all about it, expecting her mother's praise for ignoring the man but gets exactly the opposite.