Rauldc14's Top 119 Films

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
71. High Noon

Here's what I said about it for the fifties HOF. This was my nomination, a film I can easily go back to time and time again:

High Noon

In retrospect I should have waited to nominate this for the Western HOF because it is one of my favorite Westerns of all time, but it really is one of the best movies of the 50s too. The pacing is spectacular, you feel like the length of the movie is the length of the actual time. The cinematography is really spectacular too. Fred Zinnemann deserves a lot of credit for a brilliant directing job, and Gary Cooper is the perfect fit for the retired Sheriff with his back against the wall. I love how the suspense it built up and the last ten minutes of the film are just perfect. Oh, and then there is the presence of Grace Kelly just for an added bonus. This is one of those films that just gets better with every REWATCH for me. The song "Do Not Foresake Me O My Darling" is a very memorable one and fits with the film really well. Almost feel like bumping it to a perfect rating.

+

Alice in Wonderland is great. American Gangster is good, but I don't love it. I doubt I'd like ID4 if I were to watch it again, but I liked it when it was new. I hated No Country for Old Men.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
just finished playing catch up with this one! Some really great flicks and some I haven't heard of and a bit curious about.

STILL have not seen High Noon and NEED to see it.
Alice in Wonderland IS a great Disney flick - my fav is Robin Hood but HUGE respect for seeing Alice is yours
Also, very cool to see LA Confidential and Jackie Brown on your list as well

70. Antwone Fisher

Based on a true story of a navy sailor, this one had a profound effect on me. Sometimes there is more to people than meets the eyes, which is exactly what this story tells us. We saw this year with Fences that Denzel could direct a solid movie, but this one is leaps and bounds over that one for me. Loved Derek Luke in the lead role and I thought Denzel's scenes were very well done. This one seems to be rather underseen on here and I've often thought of nominating it for a Hall of Fame.

69. Ratatouille

Love the animation. I love the way that Paris is shown visually. The characters are fun and the story is a fun ride. There are a few Pixar that beat it, but this is still a great animated film.

68. Remember the Titans

In contention as one of the best sports movies of all time for me. Obviously love Denzel in it, but it is a very inspirational film. I've never really had a lot to say about it, but I just think it's an easy film to watch over and over again.

67. Once Upon a Time in the West

Technically speaking probably the best western of all time. And it's certainly one of my favorites as well. The acting is magnificent, the story is engaging, the music is awesome and so is the cinematography. I really enjoy the performances in this movie, and oh yes, Claudia Cardindale is great as well.

66. Se7en

Here's what I said about Se7en for the dissection thread:

Se7en

Started with my favorite of his that I have seen. I love the atmosphere of the film. The dark shots give an eerie tone to the film that really gives it a chilling vibe. The scenes in the rain we're also brilliantly well done. He really knows how to use his surroundings to create the film he wants people to love. The story is really well laid out and it keeps us on our feet for the duration. One by one we see this killer laying out plans for his next victim. The chase scene was exceptional. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman work well off each other, and Kevin Spacey as John Doesn't gives one of the more memorable and chilling performances as a film villian. Of course the ending was quite a decent shock the first time around, it really gives a high climax to the film. Again, Fincher uses the film atmosphere, isolating Doe and Mills in a very unsettling ending. I would find it hard for this to be a Fincher to surpass.

65. Signs

Hard to believe this movie is 15 years old. I saw this in the theaters and it was one of the most on your toes experiences. And it still is somewhat. The tension Shymalan builds is unparalleled. The story he weaved was great. Overall this is just a real fun ride. It would be awesome to see Shymalan be able to replicate this success again, though I doubt that happens.

I got confused a bit at Signs. I thought it was great aside from something I found silly.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
When he keeps remembering "swing away", was that really her psychic vision of him hitting aliens with a baseball bat?

I got confused a bit at Signs. I thought it was great aside from something I found silly.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
When he keeps remembering "swing away", was that really her psychic vision of him hitting aliens with a baseball bat?
Yep. Pretty sure that's what it was supposed to be.