Why do Trailers and Posters suck these days?

Tools    

All the trailers I watch these days are all mostly boring and spoiler too much of the Movie.

I thought the reason for trailers was to hype your Movie and get people excited to see it in theatres but most don't excite or interest you in any way and they all are structured pretty much the same way.

Even the trailers for big blockbusters suck, all they show is "Come and see big explosions and stuff" that is just not engaging enough.

Surely they cut the trailers a bit differently and make the films look more interesting than what the film actually is.

Where is the marketing going into these trailers?

No wonder why Hollywood now relies on remaking classics, adapting comic books and making unnecessary sequels to every film in existence that did ok at the box office.

And what's with all the boring Photoshop movie posters? They used to look like pieces of art but now they're all mostly the same boring design.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I like them. Just a bit of pump up fun for me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I don't think the Blockbuster trailers are pump up enough.

They need better song choices for a pump up trailer.
Oh I agree on that point. Some of the song choices are woeful.

Photoshopped posters "supposedly" had to come into play once studios starting getting in trouble for false advertising. The studios decided that "floating head" posters would be more "truthful" and based them primarily around the actors in the movie as if to say, "here, this is exactly what you are getting". I mean "Vacation" (1983) would be an exception, not the problem from the good old days of Drew and co.'s paintings...

I think it's just laziness and cost cutting and lack of imagination. I miss paintings and matte work. That stuff was/is so awesome! What a bunch of d!cks in Hollywood, seriously.

As far as trailers, it's all bottom line mentality=money.
Get the attention of the population (I guess?). Make it powerful, rhythmic and loud. Dramatic, over the top and suspenseful. Don't worry about good acting or story or helping a brother out, just go for the neck bone and slice.

It's all money.

Speaking of strictly Hollywood films, the internet helped ruin commercial films for us with pirating, downloading, etc. Now they gotta GUARANTEE their money is gonna be made. The days of taking chances on new visions is pretty much over unless you finance it yourself or we the people get really lucky. No more dime-a-dozen Hollywood films that floor us for real. Give people fast food, get them addicted and keep them feeding off of the core impulses and senses. Fool them into thinking it's important and they will believe.

Just look what clear channel did for the radio. I actually get happy if I hear Bryan Adams, that's how low it has sunk now.

Geez, I don't even see good crane or dolly work most of the time anymore. If you get a crane shot, it's probably a fake CGI landscape, so..it's not even a friggin' crane. It's a 3d render. OoH, how exciting.

I generally hate movies nowadays. I mean yes, there are some definite exceptions..but even with a good portion of those exceptions, they have to compete with the whole wave of shock value that came into play. Now you can't even watch a commercial without class A cinematography for dog food.

There's no separation. TV commercials look as good as a feature film now. Where's the fun in that? Where's the difference? We need segregation in media, but we're SOL in that department. For music, it's NYC, NASHVILLE, CALIFORNIA, BOSTON and SEATTLE all mixed into one recording studio, over compressing to pump the drums, and all movie trailers use the fan cut (blinking, sound assisted fast black shadow cuts that act as fake glitches) to build excitement. I tried it once for a low rent project. It's dumb.

All the trailers I watch these days are all mostly boring and spoiler too much of the Movie.

Exactly..like they spoiled the new Schwarzanegger drama..they give away a serious moment that totally could have been avoided...when Arnie answers the door and we see the guilty guy standing there....UGH!! I wanna whip the editor to death for that!!

IDIOTS!

The worst thing about trailers is when they give out too much, especially in the theater when you can't ignore them.
Mad Max and the Force Awakens trailers were done right, you got amped up but knew almost nothing about the plot.

When it comes to posters, they all seem so lazy, they just put up a couple of photos of the characters, maybe a fade of sorts and that's that. I want some abstract stuff that will intrigue me, and when I watch it to have the realization why was the poster the way it was.

because they dont have the background voice promotion of for example if u watch the 90s trailers, i remember i recently saw :" traces of red "a movie from the 90s

“I was cured, all right!”
'the background voice promotion'. I miss this!

Do you guys ever realise that all trailers these days sound the same? Terrible I hate trailers!

because they dont have the background voice promotion of for example if u watch the 90s trailers, i remember i recently saw :" traces of red "a movie from the 90s

Oh yes I love the voice overs. Why did they stop them?

It was a good way to market Comedy films by telling you interesting lines about the characters and what their situation is.

Oh yes I love the voice overs. Why did they stop them?

It was a good way to market Comedy films by telling you interesting lines about the characters and what their situation is.
maybe hollywood thinks that it's old fashioned and retro to have voice overs, but for me i think this should always be how trailers work, with voice overs.

Welcome to the human race...
Maybe it's a matter of projecting authenticity through a show-don't-tell approach. Rather than have an announcer try to sell you on the movie by talking about it, the idea is that the movie is allowed to speak for itself by having all the voice-over exposition be taken from the actual film. Plus, it's probably a pragmatic bit of cost-cutting - what can an announcer say that can't be put into a line of text?

Modern times moving along with technology sadly.

Years ago, posters were all drawn and painted... now, it's simpler for Joe Bloggs to take a snap on his digital camera of the cast, and just use a computer to Photoshop the poster together.
Kinda like I do

Pretty much the same with movie writers as well tbh. Why pay for someone talented, painter, writer etc... when they can just churn something out quick, for a fraction of the cost?

Maybe it's a matter of projecting authenticity through a show-don't-tell approach. Rather than have an announcer try to sell you on the movie by talking about it, the idea is that the movie is allowed to speak for itself by having all the voice-over exposition be taken from the actual film. Plus, it's probably a pragmatic bit of cost-cutting - what can an announcer say that can't be put into a line of text?

Surely a voice over actor is not that much of a cost for Hollywood I think they would cost about 1000$ at most.

Text works for a more suspenseful horror or thriller movie but it doesn't have an effect in other movie genre trailers.