The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I wouldn't say I hated Clockwork... but I certainly don't see it the masterpiece people say it is.

Being in the top 10 is bad enough, but I'm glad it never made the top 5 tbh.

Anything Being Over any of the Original 3 Star Wars Movies, T2, ET and Blade Runner and Yet only Blade Runner and A New Hope has not appeared yet but never expected Abyss this high or Clockwork Orange and i dont consider Clockwork Orange a Sci Fi movie.

Anything Being Over any of the Original 3 Star Wars Movies, T2, ET and Blade Runner and Yet only Blade Runner and A New Hope has not appeared yet but never expected Abyss this high or Clockwork Orange and i dont consider Clockwork Orange a Sci Fi movie.
Not sure where you got the idea The Abyss was going to show at this point, because it's not. These are the films yet to appear:

The Thing
Star Wars
Back to the Future
Alien
Blade Runner
2001: A Space Odyssey

I expected Abyss to make the countdown towards the bottom of the list. I doubt many of the younger members have seen it, so that's maybe why it didn't make it. It's not talked much about anymore. Great film BTW, if anyone is inclined to take a recommendation.

Strange that A Clockwork Orange is in the Top 10 at #7 for "science fiction" movies.
Dystopian future... yes, but that's about it as far as sci-fi elements go.

So making people become unable of physically doing crimes by making them watch specially designed films is not "science fiction" according to you?

-----------------------

A Clockwork Orange was my #5. A work of very rare cinematic effectiveness by the master of filmmaking himself.

In my best Charlton Heston voice...Oh! My! God! where in the hell is Soylent Green?
Since there's no chance of it making it at this point, I guess I can reveal that Soylent Green was on my list and I'm also surprised it didn't make it.

So, keeping with the theme of "green," I guess it's a sure bet that The Green Slime is not on the list. Oh dear! Well, that's all right 'cause it wasn't on my list either!

So making people become unable of physically doing crimes by making them watch specially designed films is not "science fiction" according to you?

-----------------------

A Clockwork Orange was my #5. A work of very rare cinematic effectiveness by the master of filmmaking himself.
Forcing people to watch films as an aid to brainwashing has been around for quite a while. Like I said, aside from the eye hooks (and whatever the wires are supposed to be) brainwashing via classical conditioning & forced association is not a futuristic concept.

You can viddy A Clockwork Orange on my list at number seventeen.

MY LIST
2. Solaris (#23)
3. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (#27)
6. Children of Men (#20)
7. 12 Monkeys (#14)
8. Moon (#29)
9. Her (#25)
11. Brazil (#32)
13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1956] (#46)
15. Stalker (#22)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers [1978] (#58)
17. A Clockwork Orange (#7)
18. The Hidden (#82)
20. Ghostbusters (#57)
22. The Fly (#15)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
24. The Terminator (#10)
25. Safety Not Guaranteed (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope

The third and final Star Wars film to make the cut. A Clockwork Orange was only three points behind, and I thought this one was a shoe in for the top 3 at least, but here it is at number 6.

The Placements
1st (x4)
2nd (x2)
3rd (x3)
5th (x3)
6th
7th
8th
10th
11th
12th
13th
14th
16th (x2)
17th
19th
20th (x2)
23rd (x2)

I had Star Wars: A New Hope at number 12. It was the introduction to one of the film trilogies that defined my childhood but also made me a fan of film. Though it is not my favorite Star Wars movie that is like saying it is not my favorite Indiana Jones movie. I still love it and you better believe I am going to vote for it.

That being said, I too thought this was going to be higher. I was thinking an easy top 5. Kinda shocked it was so low. Also I had no idea The Thing would be this high.

1. Top 5 easy. A possible #1
2. Stalker (1979)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
4. The Avengers (2012)
5. Terminator 2:Judgment Day (1991)
6. The most likely #1
7. The Road Warrior (1981)
8. Empire Strikes Back (1980)
9. Predator (1987)
10. Mad Max (1979)
11. Jurassic Park (1993)
12. Star Wars (1977)
13. Heavy Metal (1981)
14. The Terminator (1984)
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
16. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
19. Aliens (1986)
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)
22. Planet of the Apes (1968)
23. I am guessing Top 5
24. Kinda shocked it made it this high. But not sad, great flick.
25. I am guessing Bottom to Middle of the Top 10

My List: 18
Seen: 76/95

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My #1.
Star Wars (George Lucas, 1977)

Lucas takes a little bit of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress and a whole lot of The Wizard of Oz, blends it with Buck Rogers serials, throws in a hip sense of humor, and voila! It's a nice combination of old veterans Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing with the "newcomers" Hamill, Ford and Fisher, plus it gives you James Earl Jones' ominous voice inside the covered-up bod of David Prowse (the weightlifter/bodyguard in A Clockwork Orange). I was there in the theatre on May 25, 1977, to see the opening of Star Wars. It was already a phenomenon. In fact, even though my bro and I bought our tickets 90 minutes in advance, we went to the book store to wait instead of standing in line. That meant that when we returned, there was only one seat available, so I let my younger brother sit while I stood in the back. It didn't matter. My mind was blown, plus we just stayed for a second show afterwards anyway. Then, when we walked out to my car, I had flyers for buying 20th Century stock from a local business. Well. I tossed those, even if I lost a pretty penny right there. I seem to recall the company's stock rising 50% the first week.

What else can you say about the original Star Wars? To meatwad, I want to tell you how terrific this film looked on the bigscreen. You can talk and talk about improvements in the video/DVD/changes by Lucas, etc., but trust me, over 30 years ago, Star Wars was a mind-blowing experience. People in the audience cheered, laughed and gasped, often all at the same time, and there is no way in hell, you'll convince me that moviegoers were less-sophisticated 30 years ago. Hell, back then, the audience at least required a film to have a script and some decent acting! (and yes, why would anybody wanna rag on Star Wars for the acting? If you do, you must live in some flippin' shell. Ha! Don't worry, I'm not dangerous, YET.)

I don't know what else to say about Star Wars which you don't already know. Everyone, except me, realizes that The Empire Strikes Back is far superior because it digs deeper into the mythos and creates "shocks". However, I still don't buy it. The Empire Strikes Back, my #80 film on this list, is a beautiful film and highly worthy of praise, but just like Godfather II, it needs some legs to stand on, and even then, it doesn't quite reach the heights of its predecessor. I know that puts me in the minority, but look at it this way; I've been in the minority for a LONG time.

My List
1. Star Wars (#6)
3. The Incredibles (#98)
6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#18)
7. Planet of the Apes (1968) (#17)
8. Total Recall (#19)
9. A Clockwork Orange (#7)
11. The Empire Strikes Back (#8)
12. The Iron Giant (#50)
13. Altered States (#95)
14. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#79)
16. Return of the Jedi (#47)
17. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (#21)
18. Gravity (#41)
19. Aliens (#12)
20. RoboCop (#28)
21. Jurassic Park (#13)
22. The Fly (1986) (#15)
23. Mad Max: Fury Road (#37)
25. Children of Men (#20)

Seen: 95/95
OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films (2010 edition): 47/95

And thus, after so much debate, it was written that New Hope is better than Empire.

I voted for the original, the only one in that franchise that I did vote for.
Quite simply this movie was a phenomenon back in the day .... of course there'd been queues at our local kino before but the one for this literally went all the way round the block and even started on a second circuit and that was unheard of! Far too iconic a fillum to ever imagine leaving it off a ballot such as this.