Song Tournament #18

Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love

10-The Black Crowes - Nebakanezer VS. 6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me

15-No Time - The Guess Who VS. 16-Pat Benatar ~ Promises in the Dark

6-Tricky - Overcome VS. 7-Ke$ha - Backstabber

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love

Round 1 Day 2

Billy Talent over The Pixies

The Killers over Uriah Heep

The Darkness over The Raincoats
"I Believe in a Thing Called Love" - fun song

JJ Cale over The Black Crowes
Nice change of pace- "My Baby and Me"

Pat Benetar over The Guess Who
Unapologetically 80s Pat Benetar

Ke$ha over Tricky
Bring the fun back

Morphine over Lepers

Night Ranger over Michael Kiwanuka

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
R1D2
12-Pixies - Hey
I'm note sure I've heard Surprise, Surprise before. Good clean sound, good vocals, and a solid production, but I think the lyrics and cleanness (?) of the sound are just a bit too on point and literal for me.

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin
I'm digging these two together. Good contrast against each other. I pretty much enjoy the Killers, though I've never bought an album--decent alt-pop with some throwbacks. I think though when I put Stealin' next to it, Somebody Told Me feels very dated and fits exactly where it fits in the musical timeline. On the other hand, Stealin' sounds fairly modern considering its release date. Having not heard this song before I had to look it up because I honestly thought it was a contemporary band putting a spin on 70s rock. This track sounds a bit timeless to me because of that, and sounds like it could have been written today. Whereas 40 years from now we will all know exactly when Somebody Told Me popped in ...and out. Don't kill me! ugh.. unintentional pun there. (sorry) This is strictly as a comparison. I doubt I would have picked Stealin' on its own.

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at Night
I Believe... is always a fun track, but once I've heard it again, I'm usually good for a year or three after.

There's just something special and organic about Only Loved at Night. I want to keep listening to this one to discover more. Whoever posted this one, I'm curious what else you listen to!

6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me
Full disclosure: Never been a fan of The Black Crowes, nor have I been a fan of steel guitar. With that said, JJ Cale's voice is just near perfect to set the mood of this track. The slow, crunchy guitar distortion pouring out of Nebakanezer like thorny molasses is terribly seductive, especially when compared to those damned steel guitar shreaks; but, that voice.... omg, that voice....

16-Pat Benatar ~ Promises in the Dark
Sadly, I don't really care for either of these tracks (nothing against the artists, just the samples). I'm going to cop out on this one and go with Benatar only because during the intro and in a few other parts of the song I can totally hear Jason Segel's Dracula Musical (Huh? ...huh? See that "m" there? I'm learning!) from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Search your feelings well, you know you hear it too.... "WAH-ah-ah--aaah!"
o.O

*cough*
sorry. random associative outbursts. it really pisses off the coworkers, too.

6-Tricky - Overcome
OK. So I load up Tricky over on YouTube and click onto another tab so that I can mellow out while I do other things. I hear a piano and a puppy crying and nearly threw my laptop in defiance of such blasphemy! As I clicked back over to right this abomination I see that it's just a Honda advert =\ too. many. adverts.

Tricky. Hands down. I bought this CD my sophomore year in college and it completely changed the way I understood music---this track especially. This album is both calming and torturous as it was the soundtrack to my art school crush-slash-heartbreak. le sigh. Oh, Tricky. You hurt so good.... "How do I come back....?"

Nice to see another fan in the ether.

12-Morphine - Thursday
Another awesome pairing! Still gotta go with Morphine on this one. I mean, really. Two-string slide bass. Baritone sax, sometimes playing a tenor (at the same friggin time?!). Jazz---smooth, mellow, nasty, grungy jazz. and ....Sandman. Chile, pleez. No whammy, no whammy, stop!! wait. wut? Stop on morphine! oh.... eh =\

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye
Seeing the Night Ranger video opening just put a smile on my face. What's not to love about hair metal ballads and dual-neck electric guitars?

I really really wanted to love Love and Hate. The track has almost everything I like in music: smooth vocal harmonies and rhythms (especially the layering near the end), a solid bass line walking where it needs to be without begging for attention, and a simple, catchy melodic groove. As the track played on though, I found myself just wanting it to get to where it wanted to go already. I'll have to give this another try in a few weeks to see if I still react the same way. I'll for sure check out other songs now. Thanks for another new sound!

p.s. I type too damned much.

10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey (Don't know who nominated this... Billy Talent is my favorite band, Billy Talent is my entire childhood in music and Dead Silence Album is fantastic and this song especially is amazing. Big Up to whoever nominated this)

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me (great song)

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love (Childhoooodd)

R2D2

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers -
Somebody Told Me

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at Night VS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday --- @.@ FTW

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael
Kiwanuka - Love and Hate

@ynwtf loving reading your comments! It was me that nominated Tricky, The Raincoats and Michael Kiwanuka. I listen to all kinds of music, so tastes are unpinnabledown try some more Michael Kiwanuka, he's got a lot of talent
Tricky has too, but you know that already - he comes from Bristol, not far from me.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Now, if this was Pixies' "Where's My Mind?" I definitely would have voted the other way

This is one of those challenges -- My Baby and Me has a very wonderful, laid back sound to it, and I gotta tell ya, if it beats out Nebakanezer, I would totally get why

Thursday has a Cigar & Whiskey Bar feel to it that I like
Yeah, Where Is My Mind is probably my favorite Pixies track. I absolutely hated Pixies growing up. I think it had to do with their video for Here Comes Your Man. Ugh. For whatever reason, that really.... really pissed me off. And really, that is an understatement. Really. Anger issues, I guess? eh. But yeah. I hated them forever. Then one night I'm sitting in a theater enjoying the resolution of Ed Norton's character in Fight Club when a haunting voice enters in through the background noise, heralding in an unknown song. I immediately fell in love with whatever was about to play. Oddly, I never bothered researching that track and completely forgot about it until a few years later when I bought the DVD. Then that song played again and I had to know who the artist was. It was Pixies Where Is My Mind. Since, I've bought several albums and listen to them regularly. I do, however, still skip past Here Comes Your Man.

And I totally dig your reply to the Morphine song. Could not have said it better myself.

ROUND 1 DAY 2

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me not heard Uraih Heep in an age!

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love I love the Raincoats and this track is one of my favourites

6-Tricky - Overcome VS. 7-Ke$ha - Backstabber Tricky's great, he's someone I listen to a lot

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday Flipout's a perfect little punk single

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate really like this guy, I've been listening to him a lot lately

ROUND 1 DAY 2

Thank you so much for your noms! They are all beautiful songs.

ROUND 1 DAY 2

10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey-I liked both but I was waiting for the second to hit another gear that never came.

10-Uriah Heep - Stealin VS. 11-The Killers - Somebody Told Me-Big upset here because I used to love the second song. I never heard the first before and I thought it was damn good.

6-The Raincoats - Only Loved at NightVS. 14-The Darkness - I believe in a thing called love-I didn't dislike the first but it's a little quirky for my taste.

10-The Black Crowes - Nebakanezer VS. 6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me-That was a good match.

15-No Time - The Guess Who VS. 16-Pat Benatar ~ Promises in the Dark-I was sick of the first several years ago when the radio used to overplay it. Even if I was still sick of it, it would still get my vote here.

6-Tricky - Overcome VS. 7-Ke$ha - Backstabber-The first was nice. I'm not sure if I hated the other or just disliked it, but if you have a dollar sign in your name, you probably suck.

9-Lepers - Flipout VS. 12-Morphine - Thursday-I liked both of these, and in regards to the second nomination, it's cool to hear a live version once in a while in these tournaments.

16-Night Ranger ~ Goodbye VS. 6-Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate-Night Ranger has one great song, but besides that, they seem to be just the kind of sissy band I hate. The other one could be a little shorter but it's pleasant.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, Where Is My Mind is probably my favorite Pixies track. I absolutely hated Pixies growing up. I think it had to do with their video for Here Comes Your Man. Ugh. For whatever reason, that really.... really pissed me off. And really, that is an understatement. Really. Anger issues, I guess? eh. But yeah. I hated them forever. Then one night I'm sitting in a theater enjoying the resolution of Ed Norton's character in Fight Club when a haunting voice enters in through the background noise, heralding in an unknown song. I immediately fell in love with whatever was about to play. Oddly, I never bothered researching that track and completely forgot about it until a few years later when I bought the DVD. Then that song played again and I had to know who the artist was. It was Pixies Where Is My Mind. Since, I've bought several albums and listen to them regularly. I do, however, still skip past Here Comes Your Man.

And I totally dig your reply to the Morphine song. Could not have said it better myself.
Fight Club was EXACTLY where I first heard and, like you, fell in love with that song. I always run through the first part of the credits for that song.

And as far as great descriptions of songs go, I gotta echo Christine, I am LOVIN your lil write ups!!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

6-JJ Cale - My Baby and Me
[color=DarkRed][i]Full disclosure: Never been a fan of The Black Crowes, nor have I been a fan of steel guitar. With that said, JJ Cale's voice is just near perfect to set the mood of this track. The slow, crunchy guitar distortion pouring out of Nebakanezer like thorny molasses is terribly seductive, especially when compared to those damned steel guitar shreaks; but, that voice.... omg, that voice....
"Thorny molasses" holy ***** that's an EXCELLENT description!!
And totally agree about Cale's voice.

10-Billy Talent - Surprise, Surprise VS. 12-Pixies - Hey (Don't know who nominated this... Billy Talent is my favorite band, Billy Talent is my entire childhood in music and Dead Silence Album is fantastic and this song especially is amazing. Big Up to whoever nominated this)
Forgot to answer this - THANKS Derek, that would be me. If not THE favorite of that band, it definitely ranks somewhere in the top position.

ROUND 1 DAY 3

9-Arch Criminals - Falling VS. 10-Pretty Reckless - Follow Me Down

10-Bob Seger - Lucifer VS. 6-Roots Manuva - Juggle Tings Proper

11-Billy Talent - Afraid Of Heights VS. 12-Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

10-The Sonics - Have Love Will Travel VS. 5-The Stooges - I Wanna be your Dog

8-Eric Burdon and War - Spill the Wine VS. 1-Peter Gabriel - Digging in the Dirt

7-Ke$ha - Blah Blah Blah VS. 13-Billy Joel - Piano Man

5-Talking Heads - Heaven VS. 6-Nick Drake - Place to Be

2-The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb VS. 13-Coldplay - Paradise
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa