The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Rodent, thanks for the recommendation for Interstellar. I'm not scared by bad reviews. I've just got a feeling I'll like it so I'll go for it one day.

I enjoyed both Back to the Future II and Gravity but like several people here, I'm not the biggest Clooney fan. I've liked him in several flicks, but his constant head bobbing (is that an actual tic or something----I don't want to make fun of the guy if he's early onset Parkinson's but once you see it, it's hard to unsee) is distracting and he does act like he's just there to part a lot, with a few exceptions. But I liked the effects of Gravity and I like Sandra Bullock in almost anything, and whether she was believable or not in this (I thought she was) I was distracted by her beauty. Shallow as I am, beauty can often tip the scale for me.

Back to the Future II, I thought was a great sequel. The darkness of the sequel didn't bother me. It had many delights and I feel Thomas J. Wilson is underrated in these films. I notice he stays busy but does a lot of voice work. Hey, if it puts food on the table, go for it!

I voted for neither, as the song goes.

List so far:
#8 Invasion of the Body Snatchers .46
#18 The War of the Worlds .90
#20 The Time Machine .69
#23 Logan's Run .71

I had Back to the Future Part 2 at #13.

I do not like Gravity. At least, I just couldn't really feel much for it when I watched it.

The storyline for Gravity is absolutely fascinating for a movie -- but it's totally destroyed by the actors. I can't buy Sandra Bullock and George Clooney helplessly floating around in outer space. This is not the kind of film that needs big name actors we've all seen in hundreds of other big movies. To me, this was a fatal mistake. They're only there to get people's money at the box office. I don't like it. It might as well be Pee Wee Herman and Little Richard lost in space. Which could be very funny, but let's get serious.
I would love to see a Pee Wee / Little Richard space movie! Clooney I agree with since I can't stand, but I liked Sandra in the movie. Then again I really like her as an actress so that helped. And Clooney dies off in the movie so that meant he was not in the movie a whole lot.

I could however see this movie being pulled off by no name newbie actors though. We didn't need to have big names in the flick, but I am not the director.

Gravity at #23!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Gravity was meant to be scary? I completely missed that. Maybe because it was a poor cinema experience. I think I'll prefer the film in 2D.
I kinda can't believe you went to see a 3D movie. You, of all people, seem like you should have already known that 2D movies are just better. Go see something in 2D first. If it's REALLY good, see the 3D version afterwards. See the 3D version first if it's something you really don't care about seeing in 2D. But then again, maybe that was your excuse with Gravity.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked Back to the Future Part II, but not as much as the first movie, and not enough for it to make my list.

I liked Gravity, but I didn't see it in the theater, so maybe that's why I don't love it as much as other people do, so it didn't make my list either.

Seen: 49-1/2 out of 60
My list: 4 so far

13) The Avengers (2012)
16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

Seen: 49-1/2 out of 60
What's with the 1/2 gbg? Which movie did you turn off half way through? Just curious, i'm sure you explained this somewhere else in the thread but i must have missed it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
What's with the 1/2 gbg? Which movie did you turn off half way through? Just curious, i'm sure you explained this somewhere else in the thread but i must have missed it.
I turned off Event Horizon because it was too much like a horror movie for me.

I tried to watch Event Horizon for this countdown because it sounded like an interesting concept, and I like Sam Neill, but it crossed too far into horror for me so I had to turn it off about an hour into the movie.

Seen: 5-1/2 out of 8
My list: 0 so far

If that's your interpretation, fine. But if that's a serious intention behind the movie, that's stupid! HELLO! It's supposed to be about the nightmare of outer space. Not a commercial for Prozac.
Well, my main point was that the film should be seen as an internal experience. It's a film about a person coping with the pains of her past in an organic manner. It's an alternative for Prozac if you will. The environment of space is meant to be a representation of her status. It's a seductive and dark place that is ultimately unhealthy to remain in. It shouldn't be shown as simply a nightmare, in my opinion. Internal darkness is much more ambiguous and complex than that.
That's why the ending is such an effective moment for me. It's her coming back to earth. She's in touch with gravity again. She's ready to face life again because of her journey. It stands in large contrast with the strange and uncontrolable place that is space.

I personally think both actors did a fine job, but I guess that's largely subjective.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Independence Day

Wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 1st, 2nd, 6th, 11th (x2), 12th, 15th, 21st, 22nd,

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Also wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 3rd (x2), 4th, 9th, 10th, 15th (x2), 18th (x2)

I like both of these movies. Glad ID4 made the list without my help - I forgot to include it.

Woot! Had ID4 at #11

Seen: 56/62
My List: 9/25

24. Interstellar - 43rd
23. Logan’s Run - 71st
22. Galaxy Quest - 88th
20. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978) - 58th
16. Silent Running (1972) - 86th
14. Sunshine (2007) - 52nd
13. Event Horizon (1997) - 93rd
11. Independence Day - 40th
06. Dredd (2012) - 96th

Must be doin sumthin right
For such a hokey movie that had so much wrong with it (general poe-faced idiocy, dog in the tunnel scene, insane stereotyping of multiple groups, Randy Quaid, etc) I think of Independence Day as a really quite memorable & fun time with several now-iconic moments. None of the dozens of inhumane disaster blockbusters that cashed in on its success were able to imitate its inexplicable semi-quality. Also one of the greatest marketing campaigns ever

Starship Troopers is still the only one to show up from my list but I went pretty chalk so I'm anticipating seeing most of them in the top 40

Another movie from my list! I don't care what people say I love Independence Day. I watch it every 4th of July. It is a big spectacular and very 90's sci-fi blockbuster. I love it. It was my number 21.

4. The Avengers (2012)
15. Return of the Jedi (1983)
17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
18. Gravity (2013)
20. Escape from New York (1981)
21. Independence Day (1996)

My List: 6
Seen: 44/62