The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I thought Nausicaa was very good, but it came a lot closer to making my animation list than it did this one. I thought it would place a lot higher.

I don't dislike Avatar, but I saw it at the movies and it seemed to go on forever. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I missed Avatar in the movie theater, but I watched it on Blu-Ray, and it looks amazing, but the story is only okay. I have a 3-disc Blu-Ray set that has an extended version of the movie, but I haven't watched that version yet. Has anyone seen the extended version? Is it worth watching?

I liked Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, but I didn't love it. Maybe if there was less stuff about insects in the movie I might have enjoyed it more.

Seen: 17-1/2 out of 22
My list: 3 so far

16) Source Code (2011)
21) Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
23) Galaxy Quest (1999)

It's late at night in the Top 100 Sci-Fi Films Countdown thread.

It's time for a TEST.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The Stats

Escape From New York

Another 1st placer. Nothing else to special about this one. It wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 1st, 7th, 9th, 20th

Guardians of the Galaxy

This film has been on the most lists so far with 9. It also represents the biggest jump between the points of two films that we've had so far with a 3 point difference between this and Escape From New York. It wasn't tied with anything.

Layout: 8th, 14th, 17th (x3), 22nd (x2), 23rd, 24th

Snake Plissken ? Happy to see him there, but ... I thought he was dead ...

Escape From New York is quite fun, not seen Guardians Of The Galaxy yet.

Today's curse of the were-monk lands on these two...
76. Demon Seed (1977)
75. E.T. The ExtraTerrestrial (1982)

Two from my list! I have been a fan of Snake Plissken since high school. I loved Escape from LA when I saw it on TV, thought it was awesome when I saw it uncut, then fell in love with Escape from New York. Escape from New York deserves to be on this list. It was my number 20.

Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the best movies I saw that year. It was a lot of fun with plenty of humor. It was my number 17.

17. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
20. Escape from New York (1981)

My List: 2
Seen: 17/24

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well I had one of those films on my list. I wonder which one.

Yes I did indeed have Guardians on my list. I was one of the three people to have it at #17. It was the only 'superhero' film I included on my list. While you can argue for many of them technically being sci-fi I don't feel like they really qualify.

Two films I've seen and liked, but neither were on my list. Its been years since I've seen Escape to New York, which is why It didn't end up on my list because I forgot about it. I gotta give it a rewatch. Guardians of the Galaxy was fine but I didn't love it. It was never even close to ending up on my list, there were a bunch of other MCU films that would of gotten on my list first over it, If I was even a huge fan of the MCU or superheros in general which I'm not. The only Superhero film that was even close to ending up on my list was Thor but it didn't make the cut.

Seen: 13/24

My List: 4/24
3. Looper (100)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
24. Source Code (92)

I don't think any from my list have made it yet. The fix is in.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Two films I've seen and liked, but neither were on my list. Its been years since I've seen Escape to New York, which is why It didn't end up on my list because I forgot about it. I gotta give it a rewatch. Guardians of the Galaxy was fine but I didn't love it. It was never even close to ending up on my list, there were a bunch of other MCU films that would of gotten on my list first over it, If I was even a huge fan of the MCU or superheros in general which I'm not. The only Superhero film that was even close to ending up on my list was Thor but it didn't make the cut.

Seen: 13/24

My List: 4/24
3. Looper (100)
13. Avatar (80)
14. 28 Days Later (85)
24. Source Code (92)
Plus, Thor isn't science fiction - he's Norse Mythology! (Let debates commence!)

I put two superhero movies on my list, you can guess what the first one is, and the second was Spider-Man (2002) - which I thought was a very well done science fiction / comic book movie (and since the list is limited to 25, I include Spider-Man I & II within my single Spider-Man vote).

Guardians of the Galaxy made my list, down near the bottom. Too damn much fun. I knew the team from Marvel Comics, though they were never favorites, but James Gunn and company made a ridiculously entertaining flick and a welcome, hilarious addition to the Marvel Movie universe. As much as I like this flick, if I had been seven-years-old when it was released, I am sure I would believe this is the single greatest piece of cinema yet created by humans.

My List
18. The Hidden (#82)
23. Guardians of the Galaxy (#77)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra