Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

I don't think of mindless entertainment as the dumbest piece of moviemaking in the world, but simply movies that excel in entertainment but perhaps not in moral, thematic or even plot-related connections. Personally I really like The Party with Peter Sellers, but apart from being extremely fun and entertaining there really isn't any plot, any point or any sense with it all... it's "mindless entertainment" in the way that I don't have to think, just feel the fun and be entertained with nothing but that to take home.
Yeah, that's what i meant too Swan. He said it much better than me haha.

If not for your second post I would've responded futher, but yes it indeed seems to be the case that we understand the term differently.

Edit: it indeed seems you understand the term VERY differenlty, almost exaggerated in nature.

But despite the fact that there are movies that are "mindless entertaiment" in the way I mean it, I actually also think there is movies in the way you mean it.

I watched The Room with a bunch of people and we laughed our asses off. As a piece of cinema, that movie has NO redeeming qualities whatsoever. But from a subjective standard, the movie is so much fun. Mindless entertainment right there.

I don't think there is an official definition of "mindless entertainment" so there's no way my definition can be wrong or exaggerated. It's a completely sensical definition.
It can be wrong, no, I didn't say you were wrong either.

To me, a mindless film is one without ideas or emotional relevance. It's a film that is dumb and pleasing in a very shallow way.
I don't know that I've ever seen a film that is totally devoid of those things. Can you name some?

Once of my least favorite things that people say is "sometimes when I watch movies, I just like to turn my brain off." I don't think you have to do that, and anyway why the hell would you want to?
It's called escapism. Of course you don't have to do that, but sometimes it's nice to just not have to really think about anything, especially if you're trying to wind down from a stressful situation.

For most people "mindless entertainment" is just entertainment that isn't trying to make some big statement or provoke your thoughts in any way. It may still have some underlying emotional themes, but mostly it's just fun for the sake of being fun.

I feel the films that do that are an insult to the people who watch them.
I find it insulting when people make this kind of statement. If movies like that aren't your kind of thing, don't watch them. The rest of us will continue to enjoy them without feeling the "insult" you think we ought to feel.

I probably sound really smug, I hope I'm not.
Little bit.

No. I'm not going to play your little game. I know you don't like me and I sense hostility. I wasn't trying to fight or insult anyone, but kindly ramble thoughts back and forth with two (three, with Camo) people I like a lot. Camo and MM were very nice and I don't think took offense to anything I was saying, and I hope GB doesn't either. The fact that you said I was, in fact, being smug makes me think you're trying to insult me and get a rise out of me. I'm not going to play that. And anyway, I don't have anything more to add to the debate.
I asked a simple question that I genuinely wanted to know the answer to. If you want private conversations with people without others joining, take it to PM or Facebook or something. If you're going to have a debate in a public thread - especially one for something you're not even participating in - expect others to join, too.

As to calling you smug. You are, but you know that already since you said it first.

The Castle of Cagliostro

Really glad this was nominated. I watched it about three years ago and i remember quite liking it but thinking it fell somewhere in the middle for Miyazaki. Also i couldn't remember it that clearly. Well it improved alot here for me and i wasn't expecting it to. More than anything it is just a really fun adventure film. Lupin is a great character, i was actually reading that Miyazaki changed him quite a bit which angered the fans of him. The original Lupin was supposed to be a completely brutal villain, not the likable thief yet hero that Miyazaki turned him into. Actually apparently the creator of Lupin said he thought the movie was great but he agreed he was nothing like his Lupin, saying: "i wouldn't have had him save the girl, i would have had him rape her." Yikes. Well i don't have any connection to or knowledge of the original Lupin and i liked him alot here. He is really funny and man his gadgets are so dumb and cheesy but i don't care i love them they give him this weird charm that makes him alot more likable and makes his constant escapes all the more entertaining since the villains come across so badass and he is this skinny, goofy dude with loads of corny gadgets. I like all of the other characters too with the exception of Clarisse. She's just a boring, typical damsel in distress character. Maybe it wasn't necessary to put that much effort into her character since that is pretty much her role in this, but it would've been nice if they gave her a bit of a personality. The animation was great, there's nothing left to say about Miyazaki his films always look amazing. This is his oldest so it looks less polished and dynamic than his later ones, but it gives it character.

Anyway great stuff, as i said i'm really glad i saw it again. I would say it is my third or fourth favourite Miyazaki now which is no small feat since the other two or three above him are among my favourite animated films.

Sent my list. I'm still planning on rewatching and doing a write-up for Waltz With Bashir, there's no point in waiting til then to send it though because my list won't change.

Have enjoyed this alot, i'll still stick around and read peoples reviews, maintain the review post and join any discussions that might pop up that interest me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's five lists now, great job guys! I'll be watching my last 3 soon next week.

I'm 100 percent in for part 2 and would like to gauge interest for it.

It depends when it is and if i'm in any other HOFs, but yeah i'd like to as well.
^ This.

Also I have no idea what I'd nominate because if I nominated my other choice for this HoF, it wouldn't really be a surprise because I've mentioned it here a few times haha. I'm sure I'd figure something out though.

^ This.

Also I have no idea what I'd nominate because if I nominated my other choice for this HoF, it wouldn't really be a surprise because I've mentioned it here a few times haha. I'm sure I'd figure something out though.
What is it since you won't be nominating it? Probably heard you mention it before but i can't think right now.

No idea what i'd nominate either, would probably try to make it something less watched. I think that's my only personal problem with the Animation HOF, Disney, Pixar, Bluth and Ghibli are the most likely things to be nominated and i've seen most of them