Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Which ones do you think are bad out of interest?
Cars 2 is the obvious one, with Monster U coming in second and Dinosaur. Thought for a long time that Planes and Planes: fire and rescue was a pixar too, but recently got told that it was only disney, otherwise I would've included those too. Didn't hate Bug's life, but it was meh for me. I seem to be one of the few who liked Brave, even if I can agree it had story issues. Seems like we are in agreement on the lower quality pixar movies

Cars 2 is the obvious one, with Monster U coming in second and Dinosaur.
Those are definitely Pixar's weaker efforts, but I wouldn't call them bad. The only one that I think is close is Brave.

Excuse me if this is a bad write-up, because it's late, I'm tired and I just really wanted to get it posted so I could get some of my activity into this thread. So here goes my review for...

WALTZ WITH BASHIR

As I have always said, rewatching movies is essential. 'Waltz With Bashir' was a film I found myself watching for the purpose of the animation countdown, but what I didn't count on, was what a poigant piece of work this film was. But there was a lot of visual, thematic and aural impressions throughout, which made it tough to tear down details inch by inch in just a singe viewing. 'Waltz With Bashir' is one of those films that really benefitted from a second viewing, moving it from really good, going on great, to an absolute masterpiece. Rewatching movies is essential, even if it is just one more viewing (99.9% of the time that's all there's needed, discounting joy watches), because at least to me, it gives me closure and comfort knowing that I know everything about it I need to know. The first watch made me grasp its greatness, but the second watch cemented it. Sometimes it goes the other way too, but good or bad, a second watch is often a solid final statement rather than a simple standpoint - I don't ever have to watch this movie again, but of course I could and get even more out of it because I love it. But I won't have to worry or wonder no more. I had my waltz with bashir and it was wonderful...

'Waltz with Bashir' dares to dance between a fine line of facts and fiction. Documentaries are often fascinating and captivating, but excluding nature documententaries, they are rarely visually beautiful. A documentary often wants to present the facts in the most honest, direct and unedited way possible. 'Waltz with Bashir', however, plays with visual storytelling and evoking emotions through imagery the way fiction do. The combination of captivating storytelling through interviews and the moving images of the imperfect mind creates something that is almost like a visual dream, or nightmare, for that matter. A visualization of the mind and fractured memory of a veteran soldier truly comes to life with the style Ari Folman has chosen for his movie, or his story... it is supposed to work exactly like that, but I'm utterly impressed just by how well it actually does work. Sometimes, the images and narration work together like a waltz indeed, while other times it is like a war between to opposing fundamental filmic styles - both trying to outdo each other in emotional engagement.

The soundtrack was top notch as well, feeling just as spellbinding and dream-like as much of the imagery. The very ending is a controversial one. I do think it is a brave choice, no matter if you think it failed, felt forced or was fairly unneccessary. Merely the choice in itself was a daring one and it drastically changes the mood and challenges the viewer. This second time around, I do think it worked better. Just having the main character stand and stare into the horrorific aftermath of war. The running, screaming, crying... suddenly it all becomes very real to him. And even more real to us. I do think it feels forced in some way, but I don't hate it for it. I'm definitely left in a speechless state, with the calm bumping bass slowly conqueing the darkest corners of my mind. Sure, it isn't the through-and-through safe route to go, but it seems like the obvious one, and despite the mind rape, the message is important, and without it, this documentary wouldn't have won over our hearts and would also miss the kind of "reality shock" that the ending gives us. There is a differences between "oh, so that happened" to "oh my god, that actually really happened!" I understand the importance of it and I understand why it is there and I especially understand why Ari Folman wanted it there as well...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Waltz with Bashir

I left this movie for last because it's the movie that I thought I would hate the most. I tried watching Waltz with Bashir for the Animation Countdown a while back, but after watching the first few minutes and seeing the scene with the dogs, I was sure that this movie wasn't for me, so I turned it off. I'm glad that it was nominated in this HoF because I never would have tried watching it again, but it turned out to be a great nomination.

It didn't really "feel" like a documentary, especially being animated, but it felt more like a war movie about the aftermath of a war. I think the animation made it hard for me to feel any kind of strong emotion for the characters, but the story was good enough to hold my interest throughout, which is unusual for me with a war movie. I thought it was so sad when he finally figured out what actually caused his memory loss of that time, but the ending was even more devastating when it went from animation to actual images, and all of a sudden, the whole story felt real.

I loved the animation, and the dark colors helped match the tone of the movie. And the music seemed to fit very well too.

While it's not the type of movie that I'm ever likely to want to watch again, I'm very glad that watched it once. It turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

If you watch another movie he might answer you
I've watched Wall-E, Waltz with Bashir and that Unicorn movie so far. Watching another nom today.

It's going forward, raul, I'm telling ya!

The Secret of NIMH (1982)

I chose this movie because I had fond memories of it from childhood, but I had not seen it for a couple of years prior to this HoF. I now realize I've done myself a disservice by not coming back to it sooner. The animation's beautiful, the story's well told and the characters are likable (mostly). But I've only resently come to discover a connection with Mrs. Brisby that goes deeper than it was previously.

Earlier this year I became an uncle for the first time. I now have a ten month old nephew, which has had quite the effect on me. He's hovering between crawling and walkning, which means you gotta keep a close eye on him so he doesn't fall over (or something else does). He's a bundle of joy, but I worry about him, and I'm just the uncle! My job goes as far as playing with him and spoiling him rotten. If I worry this much over a kid who's most immediate problem's whether or not he's getting dessert after dinner, how stressful must it not be to have four kids to fend for, without a spouse and with one of them in danger of dying from an illness? It must be near enough paralyzing, and yet Mrs Brisby not only manages to keep moving, she actively seek out help from creatures who would kill her given slightly different circumstances. When Nicodemus says this...

Nicodemus: Courage of the heart is very rare.
...I believe it. The courage she displayes in pursuit of a way to save her children is very scarce, and while she does become scared at many a time throughout the story, it's natural, and she never lets it stop her from doing what she has to. Such natural displays of genuine courage are few and far between, whether it's in live action or animation. At the same time, she doesn't let this worry show when she's with the children or encountering others around her. She's always kind, even to Jeremy when he's threatening to have them discovered by the farmers cat, risking their lives in the process.

Speaking of Jeremy, while I didn't really have a problem with him other than the fact that he sometimes outstayed his welcome, he is the weakest point of the movie. It's been said that Bluth has a problem when it comes to levity, but I think that it's not exactly what's wrong. He can create levity in a scene by way of setting the scene, but the problem's the dialouge. He's not very good at making a character funny, but making a moment feel less gloomy or less hostlie, that he's got down to a t.

Take the scene wherein Mrs. Brisby's feeding Timothy the medicine; it's intimate, the light's subdued but for a halo surrounding the bed in yellow light (they could've mixed the audio a bit better, though. The song that's playing over the scene was a little to loud, if they'd had it set lower and with a softer voice it'd been more effectful). Same with their home in general. It's cluttered and built piece-meal, but it has a feeling of security and warmth. It's a safe, comforting place; while the lighting's subdued, what light there is is warm, in earthy tones of red and brown.

Contrast this with the interior of the Great Owl's tree: Here all color has been leeched out of the light, giving a feel of age and decay. Light grays mingle with cold blues and inky black darkness. She misses the Owl entierly at first, being completely still and blending into the background, only becoming aware of him as he lifts a claw and crushes the spider mere inches from attacking her. Then two bright, torch-like eyes nails her to the ground and she beholds his massive form. Everything here's been made to be uninviting, no warmth in this home, only bones scattered about from unfortunate pray.

A mix of both you can behold in the approach and subsequent interior of the rosebush, wherein the rats live. After forcing through the outer layer of the rosebush, Mrs. brisby's met with thick, black stems clad in thorns, as to keep unwanted guests out. But juxtaposing that feel of hostility are brightly colored lamps in every hue of the rainbow, spreading light around and between the stems, creating a feel of making the best of a bad situation, like being forced to thread through sharp thorns to get to a safe haven. Later, she must traverse a dark passage, bereft of the multi-colored lights, only to be led into a lit room, board a diving bell and be transported to the rats home proper, again lit with warm, earthy tones as in her home, if lacking some of the comforting feel.

This is what Bluth's great at, setting a mood for any given scene. While favouring (it seems) the darker stories and darker settings, he's got no problem with turning a dark and hostile situation into a place of calm and safety. What needs work is how to portray levity in the characters, how to make them funny without them becoming annoying. They manage better with the Shrew, but she's still not totally bereft of some annoying features. She's a tough old bird, though, managing to stop the tractor from beginning to plow the field early by severing the fuel line and disconnecting the battery (I think). Without her, the whole movie would've been over before it really began.

The story itself might not be very deep, but it needn't be. This is more of an emotional adventure, played out in a mother's desperate attempts to both save her family and keep it whole, something already made impossible by the death of her husband before the movie's beginning. She must fight to keep what's left together, only barely managing it in the end. The ending, while abrubt, makes for a passable (if overly saccarin) conclusion, played out to a soft, beautiful song over what apparetly was the storyboards of the project.

This movie's still a favourite, maybe even more so now, when I have more sense to apreaciate it with. I'll have a hard time ranking these movies, but I think this is still a contender for the top most spaces.

This became quite a bit longer than I thought, but seeing as I had a hard time writing this (I started over four times or something), I guess it's not too wierd. Sorry if it's a bit long winded.

I can't believe that I watch 9 and Your name AFTER this HoF, I could have nominated them , I'm sad because I just realize the difference between me and an experienced MoFo.

Tokyo GodFather
If I had the members and the movies I would have guess that this movie was Guap's. I really don't know anything at all about Miss Vicky, for example that she like this kinds of movies (I love this kind of movies, I just think not everyone is interested on them). I always enjoy a good movie with a funny okama, that Hana-san is amazing . At first I wasn't really seeing the point of the movie, they had the baby and they had to flee from the train, but from this point on, I couldn't stop watching!! Not only a deep meaning movie, but a hilarious one! The face of the old woman when she saw the okama again with the baby after quoting the miracle of Maria! That Kiyoko is really blessed by God, the end was wonderful too!

The characters are really interesting too, Miyuki that run away from her house after stabbing (literally) his father, and how she lost weight after becaming homeless. Gin-san really made me have different opinions, first his family was all dead, then they were not? I understand why Hana storm away (even though she was just bluffing). Hana-san is really my favorite, and how she made that poor taxi driver's night a nightmare :P

Those ladies gossiping were hilarious too:

I watched it english sub, but the scenes with the latin americans weren't subbed, it was weird how those japonese speaking characters could understand spanish just fine though.

Anyway, I really enjoy this movie, I would love to rewatch it some day too, I said deep meaning but I really can't think about any right now, I was without internet so I only watch this one that I download it before, I'll try to watch another one soon enough .

(9 was so cool!! and it's kind of underrated)

I can't believe that I watch 9 and Your name AFTER this HoF, I could have nominated them , I'm sad because I just realize the difference between me and an experienced MoFo.
You're telling me! I joined the 1940s HoF and I'm feeling like a freakin' greenhorn. But that's one of the reasons I joined, to get some more experience in a part of movie history I'm not familiar with. I'm seeing this as an education, you should too.

Also, I've had my eye on 9 for some time, but with someone else saying it's good I think I'll move it up my list.

If I had the members and the movies I would have guess that this movie was Guap's.
There aren't a bunch of little girls in short skirts talking in really high squeaky voices. It couldn't possibly be a Guap nom.

Also, I've had my eye on 9 for some time, but with someone else saying it's good I think I'll move it up my list.
I enjoyed 9 as well, though it's not a favorite.

The Last Unicorn

So, where do I start. Probably at the start would be a good idea... I really didn't like this at all in the beginning. I was sure this was going to be a struggle to get through. It kind of was, but it kept redeeming itself more and more as it went along. The animation was a bit off-putting. It is old, sure, but so is Disney's Snow White from 1937 and it looks better than this. I think it was overall too simplistic in its style and it seems like they struggled with how to create depth and weight to the look and feel of the characters. Sometimes though, it looked pretty good with its own distinctive style, while other times it was awfully plain. The pan/depth work was also a mixed bag, with the opening paling in comparison to, say, Disney's Bambi, which had a great sense of depth and fluent motion. Some of the painted backgrounds looked really good though.

My biggest problem was with the story, the set-up of said story, and the universe. It felt rushed and thrown together. The universe had no build-up and it is clear that this is a longer book turned episodic movie. I was leaning towards hate throughout most of the beginning runtime, until the unicorn and wizard escaped from the witch and the titty monster (what was that about?). It seemed as if the story found its footing and moved along in a better pace. Overall though, the plot is still thin, fragmented and the movie just doesn't interest me enough. But there was something about it after all, that got me more and more interested and I guess it had a subjective style to it that became more obvious towards the ending of the film.

My torn feelings could mean that a second viewing is in order some day, but for now, I don't know how to feel. I guess I'm gonna be generous today. Also, unlike a few others here, I LOVED the soundtrack. It had the right kind of magic, almost religiously epic scope to it, which gave the movie a great sense of mystery and positive energy. I looked up the soundtrack afterwards and is in fact listening to it right now. LOVE IT..

-