Animation Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's really too bad this HOF didn't happen 15 years ago as i know for a fact i would have loved this as a kid. I only thought it was okay i will say it was interesting seeing an american animated film from this time with its own distinct style.
I have a feeling that this will probably be the case for most people haha.

As I mentioned in my post about it, the actual animation was done by a Japanese studio who had a lot of creative control over the final product, which is probably why it looks different from other "fully American" productions of the time.

Basically to me there wasn't much difference between the scenes where she was talking in her head to the scenes when she was talking to other characters. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same on that or if it was just me, it very well could be.
Which format did you see it on? I watched the BluRay, and there was a distinct difference in the sound of her thoughts vs her spoken dialogue, though the inflection in her voice was the same for both. I recall there being some audio issues with some of the first DVDs produced, so I'm wondering if that might be the case here, or maybe I just had an easier time telling the difference (maybe because I'd seen it before?).

My biggest problems were just about all of the songs. Sorry, but they weren't for me. Not much to say there i just didn't enjoy them and was hoping for them to finish while they were on. To be fair the actual The Last Unicorn song was pretty good, that was the only one i liked though.
I'm pretty much the same way. I don't mind the other background scores done by the same artists that did the main theme, but anything one of the characters sings is absolutely horrible. I would prefer them to be cut, especially since there are only a couple in the entire movie. They seem a bit out of place to me.

If i had seen this when i was 8 or 9 i think i would've loved it; dark childrens films like The Black Cauldron were big favourites of mine as a child and i think this would've been the same.
I never actually saw The Black Cauldron. Maybe I should.

I never actually saw The Black Cauldron. Maybe I should.
You should try it. i wouldn't be surprised if it was the reverse of this, a dark childrens film that i still enjoy thanks to nostalgia that doesn't work much for you. In general it is said to be one of Disneys worst films but i think the fact that you loved this and dark films when you were a kid like me means it may have been a favourite of yours when you were a kid.

And yeah i read your review after i posted mine. Interesting tidbit about the link to animators that would later work for Ghibli: i wouldn't have guessed that. Was surprised to see that you agreed with me about some of my problems, namely the songs and Jeff Bridges voice acting. Could totally see those being things that wouldn't bother you as a kid.

WALL•E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
Imdb

Date Watched: 11/1/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: gbgoodies's Nomination for the MoFo Animation Hall of Fame
Rewatch: Yes

I've seen this movie many, many times and - while it's not quite my favorite Pixar film - it is a shining example of the of the quality that the studio made their name on. It is an absolute joy to watch - with gorgeous colors, wonderful humor, an imaginative story, a beautiful romance, and endearing characters.

Despite being a robot that was designed simply to compact and move garbage - and one of the least sophisticated machines in the film - Wall•e demonstrates the most emotional range and the most human-like traits of any character in the film, actual humans included. In many ways, he's like a toddler - full of innocence, curiosity, and just a touch of mischief. He's a collector of trinkets and trash - of anything that interests him, but at the film's start we find that his only companion is a cockroach. (BTW, who knew an animated roach could be so damn cute?)

All that changes when an Extra-terrestrial Vegetation Evaluator probe arrives on Earth with a classified directive. Wall•e is smitten and these early scenes between Wall•e and Eve - with his clumsy attempts to win the affections of the fierce and beautiful newcomer - are incredibly sweet.

And while there are underlying themes about consumerism and humankind's abuse of the environment, the love between Wall•e and Eve is what carries the film. The scene where the pair dances in space is nothing short of magical and the later scenes where Eve discovers the depth of Wall•e's devotion to her and her realization of how much he means to her are absolutely heartwrenching.

But it's not all about love and tears. It's also about laughter - from sight gags like Wall•e's confusion over where to place a spork, to more physical comedy like his interactions with the Microbe Obliterator (Mo) - I find myself far more amused by this than by most live action comedies.

While it might not be a truly perfect film (though if there's a flaw, I'm blind to it), it is for me at least a perfect film watching experience, and this may well be the first HOF in which the number one movie on my ballot likely won't be my own nomination.

Excellent review . Couldn't agree more especially with this:

The scene where the pair dances in space is nothing short of magical and the later scenes where Eve discovers the depth of Wall•e's devotion to her and her realization of how much he means to her are absolutely heartwrenching.
Don't think anything gets to me as much in an animated (and near enough anything) film as those scenes. The only real difference i have is that it is my favourite Pixar.

I couldn't respond to this earlier because I was already running late for work.
You should try it. i wouldn't be surprised if it was the reverse of this, a dark childrens film that i still enjoy thanks to nostalgia that doesn't work much for you. In general it is said to be one of Disneys worst films but i think the fact that you loved this and dark films when you were a kid like me means it may have been a favourite of yours when you were a kid.
I've heard that people don't like it very much, but that doesn't really mean anything to me because my tastes do not always line up with mainstream opinion haha.

Was surprised to see that you agreed with me about some of my problems, namely the songs and Jeff Bridges voice acting.
I like to think that Christopher Lee makes up for how terrible Jeff Bridges was, but that's probably not the case haha. But yeah, we seemed to have very similar viewing experiences, except that I had seen and liked the film as a child, but you hadn't. The only thing I really disagree with is Mia Farrow's voice. I rather like how strange she sounds (though that could be nostalgia talking). Other than the dark tones and the visual style, her voice was one of the few things I remembered really well over the years.

Nice Wall•e review.

I only saw Wall•e once when it was in theatres. I remember really liking the beginning, where Wall•e is trying to be friends with Eve. It was really sweet, and if the entire movie had been that, I would've loved it. However when they go onboard the spaceship, I recall not really liking the movie from that point forward. I really need to watch the film again because I don't remember why at all.

I'm not sure when I'll get around to seeing it again (I plan to watch Secret of Nimh tonight, and I'd like to see Treasure Planet next after that), but since my room mate owns the BluRay, I can watch it whenever I'm in exactly the right mood to see it, which is always preferable.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Sorry, GBG. Didn't know you had a thing about spiders. Would've said somthing otherwise.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Great review, Camo, so glad you liked it. Must say I agree on the point you made regarding humor in the movie, it's never been Bluth's strong point. Any humor starts and ends with Jeremy, and while I like him, he can be too much some times. I hope this will be the first of many positive takes on NIMH, seeing it's one of my favourites.

Also, I finished another movie for the Sci-fi countdown tonight, don't think I'll be awake long enough to get through another movie now, so my HoF watching starts tomorrow with The Last Unicorn.

Until tomorrow, I bid you all a good night.

I gave you a little rep to feel happy. Hope your mood goes up bit now.

Redneck? Jesus...
You believed on Vicky's insulting nonsense while projecting your own ignorant prejudiced impressions upon me. How do you think I should feel about you? Anyway, people here often show their racist prejudiced side very easily. Blocking my nomination for no reason other than prejudice... This clearly informs more about their types more than anything.

Anyway, people here often show their racist prejudiced side very easily. Blocking my nomination for no reason other than prejudice... This clearly informs more about their types more than anything.
Once again, the decision to disqualify your nomination had absolutely nothing to do with race. If you are not going to discuss the nominated films, then please refrain from posting in this thread.

I never talked about race.

Its your personal attacks (because it is a persobal attack to accuse me of trolling, which I clearly refuted) and Raul's ignorant prejudice that made the "decision".

The Secret of Nimh (1982)
Dir. Don Bluth
Starring: Elizabeth Hartman, Dom DeLuise, Peter Strauss

As a child, The Secret of Nimh was a film I saw a couple of times but never really cared that much for. I have much fonder memories of some of Don Bluth's other films, such as The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go to Heaven, though considering how less enchanted I was with The Last Unicorn compared to when I last saw it as a child, I'm a little scared for what I'll think of All Dogs Go to Heaven when I watch it again for this HoF haha.

While this new viewing hasn't exactly converted me into being a complete lover of The Secret of Nimh, I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than I had before. I really appreciated the atmosphere, the colours, and the beautifully rendered environments. I thought the animation was really smooth, with a nice blend of anthropomorphism and real animal movements (particularly the moments when Mrs. Brisby is scared). While some of Elizabeth Hartman's lines at the beginning sound like they were accidentally recorded from a line reading, overall the voice work was really well done from everyone involved. There was more than enough emotion to lend credibility to the characters and make us care about their plight.

I wasn't a fan of the crow character, and while I understand the need to try and occasionally lighten up the darker tone of the film, he was just a complete miss for me, though not irritating enough to ruin anything. There's only one thing I really dislike about this movie, but being that it's a major plot point, it's not something I can just easily overlook like the crow. And that is whole deus ex machina magic necklace scene at the end. I'm not sure what I would've preferred to see happen instead, but I found the ending to be rather disappointing.

My disagreement with the ending doesn't necessarily have too negative an impact on the rest of the film though; it's still a really well made, well designed, and well acted film. I'm glad I had the chance to watch this again, because I probably wouldn't have revisited this on my own accord.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Secret of Nimh.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	27683  

Yes, because "people here often show their racist prejudiced side very easily" means something else.
It does, I meant prejudice in general.

Anyway you are now back to my ignore list since its obviously a waste of time to talk to you.

I shouldn't have wasted my time in thinking about nominating something here.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Anyway you are now back to my ignore list since its obviously a waste of time to talk to you.

I shouldn't have wasted my time in thinking about nominating something here.

The colours in this are excellent. I really don't think the actual drawings or movement are anything that special, the colour choices are inspired though. I was watching this on a big screen and at first i thought the orange-yellow sky was really overwhelming but once my eyes settled i loved how the black bird looked against that background. That's definitely what worked best for me visually.
I definitely agree that there were some great colour choices in this film. I probably didn't pay attention to those details when I was a kid, but I also think seeing the DVD version (in comparison to an old VHS tape or a broadcast on an old tv set) really helped me notice the colours and details this time around.

Another minor problem is one that i personally think is part of most Bluth films; i don't think he is great with humour.
This is also part of the reason why I'm a little wary of rewatching All Dogs Go to Heaven. I don't remember it being that funny, but it's apparently listed as a comedy-drama on Wikipedia. I'm definitely still looking forward to it though.

It's really strange revisiting films I haven't seen in nearly two decades, and so far I've had two different experiences. My own nomination I liked much less than nostalgia told me I would (though I still liked it), and I ended up liking The Secret of Nimh a lot more than I ever did as a kid.

You believed on Vicky's insulting nonsense while projecting your own ignorant prejudiced impressions upon me. How do you think I should feel about you? Anyway, people here often show their racist prejudiced side very easily. Blocking my nomination for no reason other than prejudice... This clearly informs more about their types more than anything.
BUT YOU DON'T LISTEN FOR ****! Why should I argue with you? Why should I actually try when I know you want get it?

Okay, let's say you aren't trolling... Then again, for the 1000x time, why would you keep on nominating stuff that aren't a movie, stuff that are sequels or inside some universe and thereby really hard to understand for anyone who hasn't seen the rest? and not only do your nominations not fit or at the least push the rules of the HoF, I don't see a reason for your overly obscure Magical Girl-ish nominations either. "Expand my mind" you refer to. Again, this is so under the radar that it has no place in a HoF whatsoever. Of course, some of your noms have been fine, but you should take your overly fangirl-ish anime movies elsewhere, because you just have to realize that we aren't as obsessed about the genre as you are, and that's fine, but you should stop judging us for it and calling it "ignorant" or whatever you want to call it. I'll happy see some anime, but the way you are handling this and the way you are trying to get people to watch more anime and "expand their minds" IT DOESN'T WORK. Why doesn't it work? BECAUSE OF YOUR METHOD and your way of handling all this.

I'm tired of it, we are all tired of it. Miss Vicky actually watched your movie and then you go on to judge her for her negative reaction? It's so laughable to me.... i just can't...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I watched Her today instead of one of the animation noms. I'll get to one of these, but not until Monday. It will probably be All Dogs Go To Heaven or The Last Unicorn.

I'll be saving Wall E for last as I'm getting it for the wife for Christmas.

Then you erred in using the word "racist," and should admit as much, because that's a very serious charge. The fact that you didn't simply acknowledge this suggests that you're not making a dispassionate assessment, but merely lashing out at people who don't think like you.

Perhaps such mistakes wouldn't happen if you were less cavalier about what you accuse people of. For example, not immediately leaping to the conclusion that every disagreement is an expression of prejudice.