The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

That's pretty funny actually but what I mean is that IMDb lists movies under those "genres" along with music (not musical), so I think using that site as a baseline would be a mistake. Otherwise this is leading to Stripes being my #1 choice on an eventual war movie countdown, and that's just goofy.
I'd prefer not to use iMDB too (obviously).

I remain thoroughly unconvinced.
And I'm unconvinced that a few of the movies on the Action Countdown actually qualify as action films, but it doesn't matter because enough people did think so to get those films on the countdown. It's the same thing here. Not everyone has to agree that every movie makes the best use of the sci-fi tag, but you don't have to vote for films you don't feel belong on this list.

I love The Road Warrior. It's one of my all time favourite films. I can say with near certainly that it's not going to be on my sci-fi list though, because while I do agree that we can call it sci-fi, there are just too many other films I like that definitely fit the science fiction description better than the Mad Max films do, and I'm going to be prioritising those for my list since there are only 25 slots. If someone else want to put one of the Mad Max films at #1 though, that's fine. Nope already said that they count.

The definition set out says "ADVANCES" not "REGRESSIONS".
So are you trying to say that the nuclear bomb was not an advancement in technology? Is an all-out nuclear World War not an "advancement" of our previous World War that only used those bombs near the end?

The regression of society only came after the advancements in technology ruined things.

For all we know, the rest of the world outside of Australia is fine.
Again, at the beginning of The Road Warrior, the narrator specifically states that this was a change that affected the entire world.

So are you trying to say that the nuclear bomb was not an advancement in technology?
YES. Nuclear bombs exist NOW. They're not futuristic or advanced technology by modern standards. They are pretty damn dated.

In fact, WarGames is a better example of Sci-Fi because it features and hinges upon AI.

And I'm unconvinced that a few of the movies on the Action Countdown actually qualify as action films, but it doesn't matter because enough people did think so to get those films on the countdown. It's the same thing here.
It's not the same thing here because a specific standard is being insisted upon here.

YES. Nuclear bombs exist NOW. They're not futuristic or advanced technology by modern standards. They are pretty damn dated.
But they were an advancement in technology, and in the films they are used in the "future" (though it's not necessarily our future since all but Fury Road are not recently produced films) and caused enough devastation to alter the Earth's ecosystem and to have long term effects that cripple the progression of humanity. Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road have the best examples of that.

In fact, WarGames is a better example of Sci-Fi because it features and hinges upon AI.
But AI exists now. Not to that level, but it does exist.

You seem to think that science automatically means technology, but social sciences, and earth/environmental sciences do exist, and that's why films like Mad Max can be classified as sci-fi.

If a film opened with an event (aliens, robots, whatever) that practically destroys civilization, and the rest of the movie focused on humanity trying to survive this dismal future where they rely only on what we'd currently call antique technology (because our modern technology no longer works), and were dealing with the effects of that event on their society, would you automatically dismiss that as well? Even if the event was an alien invasion (but aliens are never seen or heard from again after the opening)?

But they were an advancement in technology,
And you're just assuming that Fury Road was set during a time that nuclear warheads were a breaking technology which it's collection of vehicles thoroughly contradicts.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
But AI exists now. Not to that level,
Boom.

If a film opened with an event (aliens, robots, whatever) that practically destroys civilization, and the rest of the movie focused on humanity trying to survive this dismal future where they rely only on what we'd currently call antique technology (because our modern technology no longer works), and were dealing with the effects of that event on their society, would you automatically dismiss that as well? Even if the event was an alien invasion (but aliens are never seen or heard from again after the opening)?
If a 3 hour movie contains a single brief scene of someone firing a laser gun I would consider it extremely debatable.

Post-apocalyptic movies set in the future are sci-fi. That's just how it is.

This one is going to be tougher than other countdowns digging through my lists.

Speaking of sci-fi y'all should check out HBO's Westworld. Loved that first episode.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Obviously I got nothing against Mad Max, but if a list all about spaceships, laser swords, androids, cybernetic enchancement, time travel, and technological utopias gets uppended by a bunch of sweaty dirty people in gimp suits and a car out in the middle of nowhere, I'm gonna call bullsh*t.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
But AI exists now. Not to that level
Boom.
If you're saying existing technology taken to a new level definitely means it counts as an advancement in technology, then why don't you think the use of nuclear weapons on a global scale is an advancement of their current (used as a deterrent) or past (only used twice) states?

But like I already said, science doesn't only mean technology. I think limiting your idea of sci-fi to just technological advances is a bit narrow.

Obviously I got nothing against Mad Max, but if a list all about spaceships, laser swords, androids, cybernetic enchancement, time travel, and technological utopias gets uppended by a bunch of sweaty dirty people in gimp suits and a car out in the middle of nowhere, I'm gonna call bullsh*t.
Not all science fiction is about spaceships and androids, which is what I've been trying to say.