Rank the Die Hard Movies

Tools    

My friends have had fierce discussions about this in the past. Their opinions all differ from mine (and mostly each other), but I'd be interested to see if there's anyone out there who actually agrees with my assessment.

1) Die Hard
2) Die Hard 4
3) Die Hard 3
4) Die Hard 2
5) Die Hard 5

2) Die Hard 4
3) Die Hard 3
This is the only thing I find particularly shocking/objectionable. With a Vengeance is the only Die Hard worth a damn other than the first one, and I think it's pretty rare to see it below any of the new ones, so I'd be interested to hear some elaboration on that.

This is the only thing I find particularly shocking/objectionable. With a Vengeance is the only Die Hard worth a damn other than the first one, and I think it's pretty rare to see it below any of the new ones, so I'd be interested to hear some elaboration on that.
I think that is the major bone of contention. There was just something about Die Hard 4 that I just loved...a little more than Die Hard 3.

For me the first is easily the best, and the second easily the second-best. After that I would go three and then four, but those two are very close for me. The last is easily the worst.

I've only seen the first two recently enough to say anything about them and have always preferred two over one. I do remember liking Die Hard With a Vengeance, but haven't watched it in years. Live Free or Die Hard was pretty crappy and I have no intention of watching A Good Day to Die Hard

Die Hard and With a Vengeance are the only two I really enjoy watching. I never liked the second film (it's one of the worst sequels I've ever seen), and the most recent entry into the series is nigh unwatchable.

1. Die Hard (1988)
2. Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995)
3. Live Free or Die Hard (2007)
4. Die Harder (1990)
5. Every Die Hard knock-off.
6. A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

Die Hard With a Vengeance
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Live Free Or Die Hard
A Good Day To Die Hard

The first three are an excellent trilogy and the other two are movies I can very easily live without seeing ever again.

Die Hard 3. I love Die Hard 3. I loved the Sam Jackson and Willis, the tone and the stakes felt higher for me. It's has only a very slight edge of the first one.
Die Hard. Fantastic, tense, well made and just really fun. I can't remember the last time I saw a modern action movie that was smart AND fun.
Die Hard 2. Good but very much the same and didn't do anything new for me.

Die Hard 4. Enjoyable. Not bad but not a great. A fine action blockbuster.

Die Hard 5. One Of The Most Boring Things I've Ever Seen In My Life

Die Hard with a Vengeance
Die Hard

------------
------------
------------
Die Hard 2
------------
Live Free or Die Hard

No intentions of watching any more of them.

1-3-2-4-5. It's the boring answer, but that can't be helped.
It's not boring - I actually think it's becoming a consensus with the more people I ask about it.

For me the first is easily the best, and the second easily the second-best. After that I would go three and then four, but those two are very close for me. The last is easily the worst.
Fantastic answer.

1. Die Hard
2. Die Hard 2: Die Harder and Live Free or Die Hard (tie)
3. Favorite Die Hard knockoff: The Rock (I don't consider Speed as a Die Hard knock-off
5. A Good Day to Die Hard

I haven't seen Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Welcome to the human race...
It's not boring - I actually think it's becoming a consensus with the more people I ask about it.
The fact that it's the closest to a consensus is what makes it boring.

1. Die Hard
3. Favorite Die Hard knockoff: The Rock (I don't consider Speed as a Die Hard knock-off

Do consider it recommended, it really is a good slice of '90s action. Also, I'd say that Con Air might pip The Rock as my favourite Die Hard knock-off, but I'd have to think about other contenders before committing to it.

~ Quint

1. Die Hard

Favorite Die Hard knockoff: Apocalypto (2006)

Question: why is Speed considered among the die hard knockoffs, in this case "Die Hard on a bus?" It doesn't have several of the hallmarks of the sub genre, such the henchmen, the good guy hiding in the hostages' midst (in fact, Howard Payne knows who he is dealing with "Pop quiz, hotshot!" and none of Jack's family is among the hostages.

Welcome to the human race...
Question: why is Speed considered among the die hard knockoffs, in this case "Die Hard on a bus?" It doesn't have several of the hallmarks of the sub genre, such the henchmen, the good guy hiding in the hostages' midst (in fact, Howard Payne knows who he is dealing with "Pop quiz, hotshot!" and none of Jack's family is among the hostages.
I imagine a lot of it is to do with the action taking place in a confined location - a lot of Die Hard knock-offs are easily defined by being referred to as "Die Hard on/in a _____" because of their use of singular settings, hence why people call Speed "Die Hard on a bus" and leave it at that despite the obvious differences in the details.