2016 Movies So far

Tools    

What would you say about this year's movies so far?

Welcome to the human race...
What would you say about this year's movies so far?
Some of them are good and some of them are not.

Only seen Zootopia, i liked it. I don't even really know what films are coming out this year to be honest. The only one i can think of that i'm looking forward to is Scorsese's Silence.

Looking forward to Finding Dory as well.

Only seen Zootopia, i liked it. I don't even really know what films are coming out this year to be honest. The only one i can think of that i'm looking forward to is Scorsese's Silence.

Looking forward to Finding Dory as well.
Warcraft seems nice too.

I've seen 15 movies this year. Top 5 would be:

1. Green Room (imdb 2015)
2. The Nice Guys
3. Zootopia
4. Triple 9
5. Captain America: Civil War

I'm looking forward to "Conjuring 2" and "Warcraft".

So far I've seen:

The Witch (theatrically released in 2016)
Deadpool
Zootopia
The Jungle Book
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Captain America: Civil War
X-Men: Apocalypse
Warcraft

Based on the ones I've seen, it's been a pretty good year so far. Disney killed it with Zootopia (my movie of the year so far and more than likely will remain so) and The Jungle Book, which was excellent as well. My least favorite was X-Men. All of them have been at least decent though.

Deadpool

Zootopia

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Nice Guys

X-Men: Apocalypse

Finding Dory
Oh I completely forgot about BvS. Saw that one also, it was okay but yeah could have been better.

This might just do nobody any good.
1. The Witch
2. The Nice Guys
3. Green Room
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. Jungle Book

I still need to see Midnight Special and Hail, Caesar! aside from that… kind of "meh" on all other movies. Seems I was the only one who wasn't blown away by Civil War or Deadpool.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
I haven't had an Ex-Machina experience yet. Deadpool was good for what it was. There hasn't been a great experience for me yet. Neon Demon and Suicide Squad are two I'm looking forward to.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
I don't know about you people but I thought that Norm of the North was a true cinematic masterpiece. What with unbelievable voice acting from veteran actor Rob Schneider, an incredibly not half assed and subtle message about the environment and evil man, and the beautiful animation that makes Pixar look like a bitch. Norm of the North, the real classic here.

I have to return some videotapes...
I've seen around 20 films this year probably and I think most have them have been pretty bad. This summer looks like it's going to be horrible in the way of blockbusters... I have seen a couple of the big ones that haven't come out yet and it's not looking good. My Top 5 is probably:

1. Sausage Party
2. Jungle Book
3. Deadpool
4. Midnight Special
5. 10 Cloverfield Lane

Welcome to the human race...
Current mid-year top five:

1. Green Room
2. The Nice Guys
3. Hail, Caesar!
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. The VVitch

I'm sure this will change quite a bit by the end of the year.

This is the order I saw the movies in, not the order in which I prefer them. Sticking to a few words per movie for brevity because most of them were just fine (not great, but not horrible either).

The Forest: Boring.
Hail, Caesar!: Fairly entertaining.
Deadpool: As expected.
Gods of Egypt: Nigh unwatchable.
London Has Fallen: Definitely unwatchable.
10 Cloverfield Lane: Fairly good.
Batman v Superman: Fairly bad.
Keanu: Better than expected.
Captain America Civil War: Very decent.
High-Rise: Disappointing.
The Nice Guys: Also disappointing, but not as much.
Neighbours 2: Surprisingly really funny.
X-Men Apocalypse: Surprisingly not very good.
Zootopia: Good.
Warcraft: Okay.
The Conjuring 2: Half really good, half hilariously bad.
Independence Day Resurgence: Kind of boring.

I'm looking forward to Ghostbusters because I'm not hating on a movie before it comes out and am genuinely interested to see how it goes, as well as Doctor Strange, though I am a bit worried about that one because I hated the trailer. Also Star Trek, even though I keep forgetting it exists.

The seven feature length films I've seen so far, listed as 2016 on IMDb, with a short personal comment:

Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland
Actually a pretty decent over-the-top wild teenage comedy with lots of absurd and crazy stuff going on. I watched this while I was stoned with some friends and we had a lot of fun. It helps if you know the series from your teenage years, of course

Deadpool
It's one of the superhero films I've had the most fun with when watching it. The plot is still extremely cliché'd (like most films of its genre), but at least this film took some mild risks with its black humor. I definitely appreciated that aspect of it.

Hail, Caesar!
I liked this a lot and it's probably my favorite of the seven films listed here, but the reason why it will probably never be a top tier Coen Brothers for me, is that I was left wanting so much more. This film should've explored its interesting environment and all of its characters even more in detail. It could've easily been half an hour longer for me. I had a blast while watching it, but I was ultimately left with a feeling of mild frustration when the film ended and that means this film had the potential to give me much more. What's on the screen is really terrific, though!

The Jungle Book
This was a visually stimulating film that worked for most of the time, but in the end, I think I still prefer the original 1967 animated version for a number of reasons. The first one is that the original songs didn't really work in this film (except for the theme score, which I feel should've been used more in this particular version, as it matched its mood very well) and the second and most important one probably is that I believe the original film's ending was much more profound than this version's conclusion. Still a great time at the theater!

The Nice Guys
I had a lot of fun with this film! Great comedy, cool action, fascinating sets, absurd but interesting take on the typical film noir plot... I was pretty satisfied with how this film turned out. A wild ride!

Zootopia
Next to Wrecked Ralph, this is probably my favorite 3D Disney film (not counting Pixar films of course). It's incredibly well made and every single minute of it is engaging. The only tiny issue I have with it is probably that, like many modern mainstream films today, it chooses to spin the most interesting core issue that's driving its plot in such a way, during the third act, that the film doesn't really have to tackle it anymore. As a result the film becomes a one-sided moralizing exercice instead of a genuinely interesting philosophical study. I understand that this is a pretty odd criticism for a Disney flick, though, so I don't really hold it against this film. It's pretty much perfect for what it is.

Café Society
Like most of Woody Allen's post-2000 films (not all of them), this was OK, but ultimately not even near the level of greatness of most of his '70s/'80s/'90s pictures. He simply took some of his typical themes, put them in a new jacket, and ultimately represented them in a less interesting manner than he has before. It's frustrating to see that an artist of Woody's caliber has so many difficulties to bring something refreshing on the table, while seemingly not even being aware of it. While still not without its occasional charms, this is one of Woody's most mediocre and less focused outings, in my opinion.

If anyone feels like having a deeper discussion about any of these films, I'm perfectly willing to do so.