1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

30th May:
137. Mum & Dad (Steven Sheil - 2008, dvd)
+
Low-budget horror that is reasonably effective in places and did eventually manage to get me invested in proceedings but some of the dialogue is weak, Perry Benson simply didn't convince as 'Dad' at all for me and for me the shift in tone toward farce for the climax detracted somewhat from what should have been a satisfactory conclusion. Sorry crick!

31st May:
138. Ballad Of A Soldier [Ballada o soldate] (Grigoriy Chukhray - 1959, stream)

Quite delightful and touching Russian drama set in wartime that follows a young soldier on leave to visit his mother and encounters some of the forms of love along the way. A touch melodramatic in a place or two and slightly unrealistic at the beginning but both are minor quibbles and the chemistry between the two young leads is lovely to watch. Many thanks to jiraffejustin for making the site aware this film was freely available to watch.

Don't know why I haven't been in this thread before but nice work.

I've not seen most of the films here, but was happy to see that you enjoyed Quills and Her, among others.

Don't know why I haven't been in this thread before but nice work.

I've not seen most of the films here, but was happy to see that you enjoyed Quills and Her, among others.
Thank you kindly, difficult to comprehend how anyone could not at least 'like' Quills and Her in my book

Thank you kindly, difficult to comprehend how anyone could not at least 'like' Quills and Her in my book
Same, but I nominated Quills for one of the Hall of Fame threads here and there were at least a couple of participants that outright hated it.

Oh well. I guess I can't complain too much since I hate several films that are favorites for a lot of people around here.

Same, but I nominated Quills for one of the Hall of Fame threads here and there were at least a couple of participants that outright hated it.

Oh well. I guess I can't complain too much since I hate several films that are favorites for a lot of people around here.
Yeah, all of us have at least slightly different tastes and that's great imo .... still think those people must have mistakenly watched a documentary on porcupines or something tho

1st Jun:
139. The Cranes Are Flying [Letyat zhuravli] (Mikhail Kalatozov - 1957, stream)

Superb Russian drama set in wartime that may for the most part follow a tried and tested story arc but if told well it is always effective and this is not just told well but contains some amazing cinematography to boot too. Thanks again to jiraffejustin for making the availability of this one known too.

2nd Jun:
140. The Hitch-Hiker (Ida Lupino - 1953, stream)

Ok film noir that has some solid enough acting from the three leads and builds up a little tension every once in a while but as a whole it just feels a little pedestrian and uneventful and it probably didn't help that for fifteen minutes or so early into proceedings I was wondering why the supposedly despicable baddie had started his 'relationship' with his two captives by going for a picnic

3rd Jun:
141. La Linea - The Line [La Linea] (James Cotten - 2009, tv)
+
Crime drama that sadly just doesn't work very well for me as the story never really excites nor really makes a whole lot of sense and what action there is is mixed, with one of the shootouts in particular being almost cringeworthy in it's execution.

Do you remember who hated it? Just curious because i was in that HOF and i can't remember.

Haven't seen any of your latest entries but i read that last one as directed by James Corden at first

... i read that last one as directed by James Corden at first
Hahaha

4th Jun:
142. Moon (Duncan Jones - 2009, dvd)

Delightful and effective sci-fi that for me is just so aesthetically pleasing in it's design and beautifully toned it manages to belie it's relatively low budget. Oh and Sam Rockwell absolutely knocks it out of the park imho.

143. Flight (Robert Zemeckis - 2012, tv)

Part air-disaster, part character study that starts positively with some very effective flight scenes before settling into an ok if somewhat unadventurous study of addiction but then sadly dissolves into an overly familiar and cloying finale.

5th Jun:
144. Ichi The Killer [Koroshiya 1] (Takashi Miike - 2001, dvd)
+
Action movie that never really takes itself that seriously and revels in being completely over the top which makes it a fun, and sometimes comical, ride for the most part though not always the easiest story to follow.

One of my friends loves Ichi The Killer. I thought it was a mess but still pretty enjoyable.
I very much have to be in the right frame of mind for it tbh or it annoys the flock out of me because I want it to be so much better than it actually is.

I have it and have seen it once. I didn't know what all the fuss was about. It was brutal, but other than that....

Nice to see you got to see The Cranes are Flying. It's on my list of movies that are in the running to make my 50's list.

Escape Plan was a nice surprise, it's good fun.

I quite like Mum and Dad and Ichi the Killer.

Moon is on my watchlist.

I liked The Hitch-Hiker about the same as you.

I loved Flight, but not in the type of way which will make me watch it again.

Nice to see you got to see The Cranes are Flying. It's on my list of movies that are in the running to make my 50's list.

Escape Plan was a nice surprise, it's good fun.

I quite like Mum and Dad and Ichi the Killer.

Moon is on my watchlist.

I liked The Hitch-Hiker about the same as you.

I loved Flight, but not in the type of way which will make me watch it again.
I'm trying to fit in a few 50's movies I've not seen before - quite embarrassed by what a poor show I've made of doing so thus far so have decided that even though I don't really like watching via stream I kind of just have to.

Cranes will definitely be in consideration for my list

Not sure how you will fare with Moon as I believe you're not much of a fan of off-world sci-fi .... certainly hope you find something in it though as I think it's a great little film.