Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Murder by Death -

Generally decent, but I can't help but feel like Clue improved on it considerably.

Life Partners (2014)

Woody Allen is a pedophille

Definitely better than the first one. Awesome climax. This one felt much more like a complete story than the first one that just felt like an origin story. I will watch the third and final installment in the trilogy this weekend.
-

I have to return some videotapes...
The Nice Guys (2016) -
++

I'm gonna have to give this a re-watch to make sure, but I wasn't in love with this film like I thought I would be. The writing isn't as clever as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and it also isn't nearly as funny. It has a couple okay performances by Crowe and Gosling, overall it's not as entertaining as I hoped. One thing I can applaud Black for is capturing the atmosphere of the 70's and directing it like an old school buddy cop film.

I have to return some videotapes...
Man on Fire (2004) -

Good film, I love Denzel and this film can be silly, but I just enjoy the emotion that Scott brings to his scenes.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Up

Wife wanted to watch this one again, yes she was crying again.

Great film. Great animation. One of Pixar's best.

Suspect's Reviews

High-Rise (2015) -

The first few minutes of this film are amazing, and actually had me really excited to see the rest of the story. I was gravely disappointed. I'm still not sure if leading with the end of the story was a smart move or a stupid one. On the one hand the great opening made the rest of the movie seem uninteresting, but on the other hand if I hadn't seen that scene first, I definitely would have turned it off long before the halfway point instead of sitting through the entire thing completely disinterested. View at your own risk.

Videodrome -

Another very good Cronenberg film. This was nuts in a great way. It was a great idea, manipulation and desensitization through television. One way this really got to me was how seedy i felt watching it, it is amazing that Cronenberg was able to recreate the feeling that Max viewers would have watching his channel. And i'm talking about throughout the film, not just the stuff actually to do with Videodrome directly, the way Max is already into violence and connects it with sex, his relationship with Nicki was probably the most wrong thing in the film to me even though they didn't have much screen time together, honestly him piercing her ear was probably the toughest thing to watch just because both of them were getting off on it so much. The casting of Woods was probably the best decision made here, to me i can't think of anybody better to pull off someone as Slimy as Max, someone who could be involved in all of this.

Anyway very good film, i personally preferred The Fly but i think i have a stronger desire to rewatch this one. Also it was great finding out where "Long live the new flesh" came from haha.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Oh, indeed.

Timecop -

Disappointingly lacking in weirdness (a handful of memorable moments notwithstanding).
This has to be one of my favourite JCVD movies. I must have rewound that VR simulation scene a dozen times as a kid.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Annabelle (2014)

I don't particularly like horror films due to the fact that I'm quite easily frightened. But even for someone as easily creeped out as myself, Annabelle was extremely dull.

Although the set up and design is kind of creepy, the execution is awful. This movie follows every single bad horror cliche known to man.There was literally one scene were it was even slightly scary, and I'm quite easily scared. All in all the film was just boring, it was to serious to be a B film and it was to boring and not scary to be a good horror film.

Which Cronenberg films have you already seen now, Camo?

I've now seen these 8:

Maps to the Stars
Eastern Promises
A History of Violence
eXistenZ
Crash
Dead Ringers
The Fly
Videodrome

Not sure which one I would call my favorite out of those films. I think I'd need to rewatch all of them. It's been a while since I had a Cronenberg spree.
The Fly and Dead Ringers are probably his best films objectively, but I also really liked the radical portrayment of ideas in Crash (a film that only becomes better in my mind, as I probably didn't fully understand it when I first watched it) and the succesful entertainment that is eXistenZ.

I definitely consider him to be a very interesting filmmaker. He's a unique voice.

Not much. Just The Fly, Videodrome, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises and The Dead Zone. I've liked them all to varying degrees, i was a little disappointed in the last two though especially The Dead Zone as i thought it sounded like exactly my type of film and it just didn't fully live up to that. The Fly is quite easily my favourite of his, just watched it the other day.

I was planning on watching Scanners and Map to the Stars soon, think i may move Dead Ringers to next though because i've never heard anyone mention it and you've now piqued my interest by calling it one of his best.