Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Last Hurrah - Not one of Ford's greatest, but an interesting (and very personal film) that acts as a spiritual successor to The Sun Shines Bright. It's about the changing of values and the changing face of politics.

A Countess from Hong Kong - This was lovely, sort of surprises me that this film is so unfairly maligned. It's a colorful, funny, and very charming;definitely a great picture and one that feels deeply personal as well.

El Dorado - A very solid Hawks hang-out film. It's basically a repackaged version of Rio Bravo though, so can't say i'd rank it as one of his best. A fun time.

Master of My Domain
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

Sorry, MV.
Whoa, okay, I think ESOTSM is overrated and doesn't deserve its reputation as one of the best films, but wow zero stars?

Blissfully Oblivious
A Most Violent Year

Fantastic performance by Oscar Issac followed by some great ones from Jessica Chastain and Albert Brooks. The consistent theme of choice can be a bit pushy but it does work by the end. Everything else works fine. It's an alright movie (especially if you're a fan of Oscar Issac) but I can't say I'll ever want to watch it again.

Deadpool

It's going to be hard for me not to be biased on this one because I was a Deadpool fan long before this movie was made (even a bit before X-Men Origins), but this movie was just pure nirvana for me. As Emma Stone would say, "Deadpool has a direct line to my funny bone." Other than a few dated jokes that included the likes of Limp Bizkit and Rosie O'Donnel, every joke hit and even after the third time seeing it, I was still laughing out loud. The acting was great across the board. Especially Ryan Reynolds who just embodies Deadpool similar to how Robert Downey Jr. embodies Tony Stark. The villain is a bit bland but works for an origin story as he scales to Deadpool as far as powers and skills go. Colossus more good guy persona works as a great counter to Deadpools more juvenile nature and has some pretty great scenes himself. TJ Miller had great comedic chemistry with Reynolds. Wade Wilson and Vanesa are now my second favorite on screen couple (only being passed by Samantha and Theodore from Her). The action scenes worked great thanks in large part to that R-rating not holding them back. Even the more dramatic moments were treated with respect (shown by the writers restraint to throw a joke in). If I have anything bad to say about it, the CGI was noticeable and the ending felt a bit too…happy. That probably had something to do with it being released on Valentines Day weekend but those are crumbs in comparison to how entertaining this movie was for me. Deadpool is pretty much my favorite comic book movie ever now and I've seen…almost all of them. I would recommend it but hell the box office suggests almost everybody has seen it. Twice.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

I'll admit. I'm not that big of a Mission Impossible fan. I haven't seen the first two and I've only seen bits and pieces of the third but Ghost Protocol was pretty good and Rogue Nation was pretty good as well. It had some really well shot and edited action scenes (that motorcycle chase was insane) and the dialogue between the team was fun. The villain was fine and I liked how he matched wits and intelligence with Hawke but his voice was kind of annoying. It was like he was trying to channel Batman or something. For a fun and exhilarating action film, I highly recommend it. And yes. I am now under the assumption that Tom Cruise's luck is going to run out and he's going to end up getting himself killed from those crazy stunts.

Kung Fu Panda 3

It's Kung Fu Panda. If you've seen and enjoyed the first two, you'll more than likely enjoy this one. I took my nieces with me when I saw it and they had a great time. The Furious Five do get less screen time so there's more time spent on Po's more personal story but the action scenes were fun, there were quite a few laughs, and I liked that both Bryan Cranston and JK Simmons did voice work for it. Definitely a great time at the movies for the family.

Steve Jobs

I'm just going to throw it out there dammit! Fassbender should have won! Don't get me wrong. I'm happy Leo finally got his gold and his moment (and I'm not even doubting Leo's performance in The Revenant, which I've seen only a part of because its snail like pacing knocked my ass out in the theatre) but that should have happened with Wolf Of Wall Street. Fassbender literally transcended in his role as Steve Jobs and I found him entirely believable. The acting from the rest of the cast was great too. I really liked how it was edited and Arron Sorkin is now one of my favorite writers (Yeah I recently binged all three seasons of The Newsroom, which also includes the fantastic Jeff Daniels. Can't believe that guy was in Dumb and Dumber). I also liked that they didn't shy away from Steve Jobs being a total d***.

Room

Yeah I cried a few times. I'll admit it. The mother/son dynamic is a very personal one for me and Room hit those heart strings in all the right ways. The unique perspective this movie is filmed from was extremely engaging, Brie Larson definitely deserved her win for best actress, and Jacob Tremblay should have been awarded something. I'm not going to talk much more about it because I went into this experience knowing very little and I was absolutely floored. If my body reflected how I felt mentally when those credits started rolling, I would have literally looked like one of those yellow smiley faces.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I feel ashamed that it took me all this time to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. This movie was a lot of fun. I really liked all the main characters performances. I liked the narration by RDJ. The editing was cleverly done and the dialogue between characters was as well (punk rock Steven Segal anybody?). I'm so happy I bought the dvd and I recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

Prisoners

Hugh Jackman is scary. Screw Wolverine. If Hugh Jackman thinks you took his kid, he's going to f*** you up. Seriously though, talk about an extremely tense and unmerciful thriller. Prisoners really holds no punches when showing how people can react when experiencing an emotional trauma. The only enjoyment this film will provide are for movie buffs for its fantastic cast, seamless editing, and wonderful cinematography. Other than that, just misery all over the place. You're going to want to hug your kids after this one.

I have to return some videotapes...
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind -

Sorry, MV.
Yeah the film's writing and concept should already get it to

Stars in My Crown (1950)

+

A different kind of Western, more family oriented without the gunfights. There are some interesting conflicts that arise, and it's a very easy and enjoyable watch. Nice theme song too.

Care for some gopher?
What's Up, Doc? (Peter Bogdanovich, 1972) -

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
What's Up, Doc? (Peter Bogdanovich, 1972) -
SOOO happy to see some love for this movie!!

I actually went looking and couldn't find your review; and I could of swore it was your review that first turned me on to The Lobster. Thanks for reposting the link, Iro!!

Predestination (2014) - The Spierig Brothers

- This flick is f*cked-up and it completely blow my mind on so many level... I watch the ending 3 time for finally understand the entire plot and it's awesome. Very intelligent and philosophical movie with a great entertaining plot and nice acting from Ethan Hawke and Sarah Snook. Dialogues between the two are highly interesting and they got a great onscreen chemistry. The direction was very good (even though I didn't know them before this flick). Without giving any spoiler let say that last 35min are totally twisted and mind-blowing and it's the reason why the movie is probably going to be a new favorite of mine. Definitely a movie that people that like thinking are going to appreciate.
-
I was pretty impressed with the storyline and how they went about things. Really looking forward to a rewatch of this one

The Hobbit-The Desolation of Smaug

Wow this did not hold up well for a 2 year old movie. I have the same complaints as everyone else who doesn't like it-the inclusion of the elves was pointless, Lee Pace was was overacting as Legolas' father, the CGI was really really bad in some parts, really Jackson you're going to film the barrell escape with a Go Pro??? It takes far too long to get to Smaug-what could have been 30 minutes of a single Hobbit movie is stretched out to over 90 minutes by an unnecessarily long detour to the elf kingdom for some Legolas fan service and love triangles, as well as a Gandalf side quest that could have been eliminated entirely without losing any plot or character. That said, the character interactions are still fun, and it does get very good once Smaug shows up in the third act.

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
The Social Network - 4/10 - Good lord, I find this movie to be boring. However, at least the story was coherent.

Sling Blade - 10/10 - A pleasant surprise! I was told to watch this movie, and I didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more movies like this one!

The Social Network - 4/10 - Good lord, I find this movie to be boring. However, at least the story was coherent.

Sling Blade - 10/10 - A pleasant surprise! I was told to watch this movie, and I didn't know what to expect. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more movies like this one!
Oh God, I thought it was just me...I have tried four different times to watch The Social Network and every time I do, I nod off.

The Social Network is totally brilliant!! You guys are wrronnngg

I have to return some videotapes...
Yeah Social Network is genius on every single level, I don't know what your watching.

Angst (1983)

Austrian film in German about a psycho who gets released from prison, and immediately gives in to his urges. It's filmed brilliantly in a very raw and intense manner, and has a nerve shattering musical score. The movie has one of the most brutal and disturbing murders I've seen on film, but a lot of it's effectiveness is psychological.

Welcome to the human race...
The Social Network is a well-crafted slice of tedium where the soundtrack is far and away the best thing about it. I think a
is a fair rating.

Last movie I saw...

Midnight Express -

On the one hand, it's a harsh and brutal film full of filth and violence.

On the other hand...

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
This was a rather surprising entry, considering all the bad reputation surrounding the film. It's given me a reminder that I shouldn't take the word of mouth (or word of critics, for that matter) too seriously.

It's no masterpiece, naturally, but it's painted a darker (and thus, more faithful) image to the original grim fairy tale, a concept that's rarely done well (or often, what with all the OUAT/Disney fairy tales floating about). Women were rarely respected if at all, the Salem witch trials are referenced, and we have lots of gritty badass gun-action if that sort of thing doesn't bother you.

But its reputation is not without merit. The ending is disappointing, settling for your trite 'heroes walking into the sunset' ending found in most action adventures. It's not a terrible ending, but the value of Grimm Fairy Tales was lost. Let's all remember that the purpose of those dark tales was to provide moral warnings to little kiddies through some of the most disturbing facets of human nature you could imagine. Hansel & Gretel falls short of that purpose.

(Fun, but nothing more)

Shawshank Redemption

"I wish I could tell you that - but prison is no fairy tale world."

Ironically, the movie ended on a fairy tale note. Maybe Red should've been the one to provide the studio notes.

Shawshank has a reputation. Usually, when that word is used, it rarely denotes positive things. Shawshank was known to be one of the greatest movies of all time, yes, but among the other side of cinephiles, it's also one of the most grossly overrated atrocities in the history of cinema. Now, in my opinion, the truth lies somewhere in-between. After all, there's always a much grosser atrocity, Schindler's List. At least Shawshank didn't glamorize an entire genocide.

When I stepped into the movie, I was highly cynical of what's to come. I'm not one to give merits to people's praises of a movie if I personally didn't like it, so I expected very little of this redemption. The result was a tad surprising, I'll admit. The facets of prison life portrayed here can be realistic and believable for the most parts, not the mawkish schmaltz that people had accused of. No, that bit won't happen till the second-half of the film, when our fairy tale villain comes along to spoil the day.

The whole idea of hope being poison was a powerful notion conjured by Stephen. I wouldn't expect less from the king of writers himself. That said, the whole idea of Norton being written off as some generic big bad warden just didn't sit well with me. Watching the film reminded me of a TV show I recently did some research on, The Wire, and how people said it's way too realistic and mundane for the mass populace, how it didn't settle for cheap tropes of good and evil but showed the world as it is. That's what missing from schmaltz-fest like Shawshank and Schindler's List. They like to pretty up the world and tell you that evil can be defeated like some simple math equation, and that hope is ultimately and objectively good for you, unlike the ambiguous notion Stephen had in his book.

Nonetheless, Shawshank is far from a terrible film. It's just one that leaves me with a bad taste at the end, that's all. I was mildly entertained for the better half of the film, so it's not altogether an entirely foul experience. I just wish it could have avoided dreaming about what prison life really was and actually showed how it truly is.

(Fun, but nothing more)