Slay's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Thanks Beale and Piddy,

In answer to your question P,

The 'Big Bang' deals with the creation of the universe itself; the movie doesn't address that at all. As far as evolution goes, it doesn't show that we weren't born from a primordial soup, rather that a sentient race chose to help us along with one seemingly small step, yet epic in scope, and that is to awaken the creativity that we already showed hints of. Is that what you meant?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I'm ashamed to say that I have only seen half of 2001, it was one late night, I put it on, and was mesmerized, but, having consumed alcohol that very evening I found myself passing in and out of clarity, till I dropped into a slumber.

This is on the top of my to see list now, great review

Originally Posted by Philmster
I'm ashamed to say that I have only seen half of 2001, it was one late night, I put it on, and was mesmerized, but, having consumed alcohol that very evening I found myself passing in and out of clarity, till I dropped into a slumber.

This is on the top of my to see list now, great review
I can see that. This is not a movie to see drunk, tired, or in a distracted state. It can be a boring movie at times unless you are in the perfect mood for it. It's funny, I was reading user comments on IMDb, and it's pretty split right down the middle.

Half think it's a masterpiece of epic proportions (with half of them thinking that if you don't like it, you must be dumb), and the other half that think it's the most boring thing they've ever seen (half of them thinking that if you do like it, then you're a pretentious follower of the masses). It's amazing what kinds of absolute vehemence can sometimes be associated with this film and the people who view it. People were actually frothing at the mouth at both ends, but more so with the haters of the film.

A system of cells interlinked
Just another amazing review man. Props big time from this corner...

I am cutting another review today, Should be up by this evening. This time I think I might have a film that isn't reviewed on the site yet.

_S

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I was reading user comments on IMDb, and it's pretty split right down the middle.

Half think it's a masterpiece of epic proportions (with half of them thinking that if you don't like it, you must be dumb), and the other half that think it's the most boring thing they've ever seen (half of them thinking that if you do like it, then you're a pretentious follower of the masses).
I think the film is a masterpiece and I've have trouble watching the film in it's entirety before without fidgeting with some boredom. I believe that to consider a film a masterpiece you don't necesseraly have to like it to apprecaite it's quality.

I must reitterrate the other comments, Slay. Your review was great and helped to define the points of the movie I didn't quite understanding fully. I doubt anyone can watch this without missing some essential little detail here and there.

A film that makes you have to watch again and again with keen interest to decipher and download new information each time, is truly a worthy film.

Thanks Sedai for the, um, er, props.

I agree with you Revenant. There has to be some recognition when a film can be re-watchable at such a large scale in order to catch things you've missed, or to try and figure it out. Some people call that pretentious filmmaking (some accused Lynch of that for Mulholland Drive), but I don't. As long as it's intelligent and, in the end, decipherable to some measure.

When I buy a new video game, one way I rate it is by how re-playable it is. Some games really kick ass but after beating it, there's no more interest. I can't rate a game too highly because of that. But if a game can be beaten, then still makes you want to come back and do it again...then I rate it higher. It's the same principle for certain movies as well.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Thanks Beale and Piddy,

In answer to your question P,

The 'Big Bang' deals with the creation of the universe itself; the movie doesn't address that at all. As far as evolution goes, it doesn't show that we weren't born from a primordial soup, rather that a sentient race chose to help us along with one seemingly small step, yet epic in scope, and that is to awaken the creativity that we already showed hints of. Is that what you meant?
Eh.. I don't know.. Guess I'll have to check it out again before I try to be clever about it. But I didn't mean that the film addressed any theory in particular explicitly but more symptomatically. Let's see if I can explain myself... The apes four million years ago alone are a challenge to the biblical creation myth that states that the miracle that earth is was created in one day some thousands of years ago. The monolith on the other hand would, as I said before, represent some kind of alien kick in the ass for humanity - not what the christian scriptures preaches but more in sync with christianity than darwinism. The film isn't taking a stand for one theory or the other. It's more a mix between them all in a way... Not saying THAT'S what 2001 is all about, only that is what I've been thinking about.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
It was a long while since I saw this film but I have thought about it from time to time. One thing that I thought about is the mix between different creation myths within the film. There is both the Big Bang/Evolution theme (apes millions of years ago) but also the theory of "a wonder" or something godlike coming to earth and "showing the way", so to speak. What do you think of this, Brian? (And all others too, of course... )
I didn't mean that the film addressed any theory in particular explicitly but more symptomatically. Let's see if I can explain myself... The apes four million years ago alone are a challenge to the biblical creation myth that states that the miracle that earth is was created in one day some thousands of years ago. The monolith on the other hand would, as I said before, represent some kind of alien kick in the ass for humanity - not what the christian scriptures preaches but more in sync with christianity than darwinism. The film isn't taking a stand for one theory or the other. It's more a mix between them all in a way... Not saying THAT'S what 2001 is all about, only that is what I've been thinking about.
Okay, I see what you meant now. My mistake, I didn't notice the, "/evolution". I only noticed the, "Big Bang".

I don't know if it being more Christian like than Darwinian really has anything to do with anything, but yes, I see your point. I think. What was your point?

Actually, I never thought about it that way, because it is, after all, a science fiction film. Then again, it does touch on spiritualism (note that I didn't say religion) because the concept for the next phase of evolution is to leave behind the flesh and exist purely as ‘spirit’. It is never shown if it is Alien or Deity intervention, I guess that would be up to the viewer to decide. Kubrick himself said that he meant the movie to have multiple interpretations. There is a certain plot that is beyond question, but on the deeper level of the film is what many people need to figure out what works for them personally. What you’ve noticed about the similarities to both beliefs is a perfect case that what Kubrick intended actually worked. Wouldn’t you think so?

Okay, I see what you meant now. My mistake, I didn't notice the, "/evolution". I only noticed the, "Big Bang".

I don't know if it being more Christian like than Darwinian really has anything to do with anything, but yes, I see your point. I think. What was your point?

Actually, I never thought about it that way, because it is, after all, a science fiction film. Then again, it does touch on spiritualism (note that I didn't say religion) because the concept for the next phase of evolution is to leave behind the flesh and exist purely as ‘spirit’. It is never shown if it is Alien or Deity intervention, I guess that would be up to the viewer to decide. Kubrick himself said that he meant the movie to have multiple interpretations. There is a certain plot that is beyond question, but on the deeper level of the film is what many people need to figure out what works for them personally. What you’ve noticed about the similarities to both beliefs is a perfect case that what Kubrick intended actually worked. Wouldn’t you think so?
No. Kidding. Yeah, I guess... Only that every time I have a brilliant theory about a movie no one agrees with me. Same with Donnie Darko.

No. Kidding. Yeah, I guess... Only that every time I have a brilliant theory about a movie no one agrees with me. Same with Donnie Darko.
Well, I'm not really getting your theory then. I see you say that both beliefs are exhibited in the film, kind of sketchy with the religious, but still there. I agreed with you and mentioned that Kubrick might have liked it that way because more people could relate to it, but it all dealt with personal interpretations. Isn't that agreeing?

And turn that frown upside down lil' guy. Here, have a cookie....I need one of Nibble's pictures.

Well, I'm not really getting your theory then. I see you say that both beliefs are exhibited in the film, kind of sketchy with the religious, but still there. I agreed with you and mentioned that Kubrick might have liked it that way because more people could relate to it, but it all dealt with personal interpretations. Isn't that agreeing?
Yeah, if you think that "Kubrick is ok with every single theory about his movie, even your little insignificant one, you miserable ****!", then, yeah, you were agreeing. ...

Ah, all I want is to be hailed as the possessor of the collected meaning of all art house cinema. Can I? Please?

And turn that frown upside down lil' guy. Here, have a cookie....I need one of Nibble's pictures.
Yeah, like the one with her in leather boots and whip in hand.

Yeah, if you think that "Kubrick is ok with every single theory about his movie, even your little insignificant one, you miserable ****!", then, yeah, you were agreeing.
Is that what you really got from my reply?

Your 'theory' is more of an observation, there's no way it can be wrong. I agreed with you.

Is that what you really got from my reply?

Your 'theory' is more of an observation, there's no way it can be wrong. I agreed with you.
No, you big dumb bear, that is not what I got from your reply. I got it!

No, you big dumb bear, that is not what I got from your reply. I got it!
Just making sure.

Thanks Sedai for the, um, er, props.
I should know better than to use regional slang on the web.

I liked your review

Don't cry, I agree with your Donnie Darko one, I think, must go back and read it.

You ready? You look ready.
I read your review for 2001: A Space Odyssey. My mouth hit the floor and stayed there. How do you do it? Jezz it's going to be tuff to write reviews now and not say "I wish I could write like LordSlaytan." Keep up the good work and try writing for a local paper.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by nebbit
Don't cry, I agree with your Donnie Darko one, I think, must go back and read it.
Don't take what I say too seriously.

Hey there Slay man...

Wanted to give you a heads up that Yoda has set up the popcorn box rating system for us to use in our review threads. The VB command is on the VB page and you can see how it looks in my thread (as well as scope my new review )

btw, I like this avatar the best so far

_S