Poor Movies that are redeemed by one scene, performance or sequence

Tools    

Speaking of Tim Curry, his performance as Darkness in Legend is the only thing I enjoyed in that film.

Here's a question: have Nathan Lane and Tim Curry ever been in the same movie? If so, I must watch it immediately.

Both those guys are just fun to watch regardless of what they're doing.

Doesn't Tim Curry's entire career involve saving total crap?

*hides personal copy of Clue*
He was great in Clue but terrible in The Three Musketeers.

Speaking of Tim Curry, his performance as Darkness in Legend is the only thing I enjoyed in that film.
It was interesting that Ridley Scott's reasoning for casting him was that Darkness had to have a sexual quality. So Frank N. Furter popped into his mind and he went: I'll have him. It definitely works.

I think Legend looks great but what should be a European fairytale is too American unfortunately.

Star Wars Ep. VII: The Force Awakens, redeemed only by Daisy Ridley.
She's hot you're right! but there's no redeemed in The Force Awakens because the movie is brilliant.

Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct (1992) is pretty good and the movie is mediocre.
Derek is correct here, poor movie but I suspect many people will watch it for Sharon Stone.

I'll have to think more about this, but I think if Rififi didn't have it's silent sequence, I wouldn't have cared too much for it.

Another probably unpopular opinion: One of the only things I enjoyed about Gone With The Wind was the final scene/line

Welcome to the human race...
While I can definitely identify good scenes in films that I thought were generally bad/average, I'm not sure that a single scene or sequence would be enough to wholly "redeem" a film. An awesome five-minute segment wedged into a generally mediocre two-hour film is not going to seriously alter my opinion about the film as a whole.. It's easier to say that about performances because they can be spread over several scenes throughout the film.

That being said, I'll see if I can think of some examples that aren't necessarily redemptive but still deserve mention.

I think There Will Be Blood (2007) might fit this category. I'm sure some will disagree, but I came away from it with very mixed feelings:

Can't remember much from this movie, yet I can't forget the performance of Daniel Day-Lewis and two particular scenes: "I've abandon my child" and "I drink your milkshake."

"I drink your milkshake" is the film's climax so it's basically a painfully slow film that is redeemed by the ending and the performance of its star.

While I can definitely identify good scenes in films that I thought were generally bad/average, I'm not sure that a single scene or sequence would be enough to wholly "redeem" a film. An awesome five-minute segment wedged into a generally mediocre two-hour film is not going to seriously alter my opinion about the film as a whole.. It's easier to say that about performances because they can be spread over several scenes throughout the film.

That being said, I'll see if I can think of some examples that aren't necessarily redemptive but still deserve mention.
Understood. Maybe a better way of putting it is; an otherwise forgettable movie with a scene that you'll never forget?

Doesn't Tim Curry's entire career involve saving total crap?

*hides personal copy of Clue*
Perhaps...this cry face is the only good thing about Home Alone 2...