Top Recommended Movies - Both Good and Bad

Tools    

Hi Guys!

So I am starting to do throwback Thursday reviews on my review page, and was looking for some good recommendations to something that stood out above others movies.

It doesn't have to be new, and doesn't have to be old. Anything that has been released on DVD / Blu-ray and no longer in theatres would be fine.

I would prefer something that is amazing in at least one subject. Overall movie, Cinematography, acting, special effects (for its time), even something that is amazingly terrible (Troll 2) lol. I know you guys probably will offer some recommendations I would have never thought of.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Dark City - Sci/Fi - Excellent.

Ultraviolet - Sci/Fi - Terrible.

Suspect's Reviews

Dark City - Sci/Fi - Excellent.

Ultraviolet - Sci/Fi - Terrible.
Awesome thanks. I forgot all about Dark City. I will definitely make way to watching it again. I'm actually looking forward to Ultraviolet too. Sometimes if a movie is horrifically bad, it can manage to be entertaining for that reason lol. I'll check them out!

Welcome to the human race...
I saw Ultraviolet last year and I can confirm that it is not that kind of bad movie.

Sinister - Horror - Excellent.

Sinister 2 - Horror - Terrible.

Could see the difference between a very-well made horror movie with lot of tenseful scene and some creepy atmosphere to an awful sequel without anything good in it.

Greatest movies? I'm a sucker for the Kurosawa films, through and through. I definitely recommend those to anyone and everyone.

Horrible movie: I know it's a cliche 'horrible movie' but Battlefield Earth remains my favorite "horrible movie you must watch"

That said, I am open to suggestions on movies I should be watching as I seem to be in a rut as of late. I've been going through suggestions online. A few I've come across:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/
http://www.afi.com/100Years/movies.aspx
http://movie.info/6-best-movies

Good - You're Next directed by Adam Wingard

Bad - The Purge directed by James DeMonaco

Greatest movies? I'm a sucker for the Kurosawa films, through and through. I definitely recommend those to anyone and everyone.

Horrible movie: I know it's a cliche 'horrible movie' but Battlefield Earth remains my favorite "horrible movie you must watch"

That said, I am open to suggestions on movies I should be watching as I seem to be in a rut as of late. I've been going through suggestions online. A few I've come across:
I know what that's like, going through a run of bad movies, usually that's how I feel every January. I know it's brand new, but I totally recommend seeing 'The Finest Hours' and even '13 Hours of Benghazi'. Breath of fresh air for January films.

What kind of movies are you into? Maybe I have a recommendation that will fit your favorite niche! And thanks for those links, I will check them out as well.

I started off slightly differently and then ended up going with two films with something in common, namely Ron Silver:

Good: Blue Steel (1989)

Bad: Timecop (1994)

Although I think Timecop was largely inoffensive, it did have some horrible time travel theory.

Bad - The Room (2003) (This one could be argued as so bad it is good)
You shut your mouth. The Room is arguably one of the greatest films ever made. Up there with Citizen Kane and The Godfather

Yeah, I've started to find the whole "so bad it's good" line of reasoning extremely flawed in recent years. I'll grant "unintentionally funny" for films like The Room or Troll 2, but after a certain point you just have to admit to yourself that you're actually enjoying these movies regardless of any ironic detachment.

Good - Starship Troopers (1997)

Bad - The Room (2003) (This one could be argued as so bad it is good)
Haven't heard of 'The Room' so I checked out the trailer. My God that alone was hard enough to get through lol. I may have to check it out just to see how awful it is

Yeah, I've started to find the whole "so bad it's good" line of reasoning extremely flawed in recent years. I'll grant "unintentionally funny" for films like The Room or Troll 2, but after a certain point you just have to admit to yourself that you're actually enjoying these movies regardless of any ironic detachment.
I thought that was always the point?

I thought that was always the point?
You'd think, but there's something inherently condescending about referring to something as "so bad it's good", as if you have to explicitly claim superiority over something before admitting that you like it. A good way of distinguishing the two attitudes would be to compare Joel and Mike from Mystery Science Theater 3000 - the former's dopey sincerity is a far cry from the latter's smug cynicism.