Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Godfather: Part 2 (Francis Ford Copolla, 1990)

(rewatch)

It's the same masterpiece I remembered, and definitely the best on the trilogy.
The direction of Copolla and the acting of Al Pacino are without a doubt the key elements of this film. What Pacino did here is something that only very few actors in the history of cinema could achieve. Every gesture, sentence or look of him radiate power, passion and ambition, even if he looks calm on the surface. When you get so much energy from an actor without understanding what is he doing different, that's art in its purest form. DeNiro is great but Al Pacino is a god here...
As for the rest, a 3-and-a-half-hour movie that immerses you in an unique way due to a magnificent pacing, cinematography and sountrack all serving the vision of one of the greatest story tellers of the XX century.

-

P.S. Once Upon a Time in America is still my favourite gangster movie!

I have to return some videotapes...
The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

At first watching this movie I kept wondering throughout the runtime what the point of all of it was? I was really not understanding why we should care about this character? Then it dawned on me what the meaning of the whole film was, or at least what I interpreted the film to be in my mind. It's about a character who is looking for something genuine in life someone who he can trust and that won't betray him and instead just be there for him. Everyone we know in this film turns on the main character or changes his perception of them. I'm not going to go much more into it than that just in case someone reads this who hasn't seen it, but I think its an interesting plot device. My problem with this film though is I wasn't really invested in Billy Bob's acting. I also thought that some of the things they throw into the film were a little too off the beaten path for me. In this movie nothing really happens you are just kind of viewing things from the prism of this broken man. It's kind of depressing and I don't mind that, but this is just a warning before hand if you haven't seen it. There are a couple of other things that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but overall I would recommend this film to someone who is alright with watching a slow paced movie about a man who is almost an alien to the normal world.

+

I have to return some videotapes.
Please change your avatar I feel like I am reading my own posts with my old avatar and my own name.

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

At first watching this movie I kept wondering throughout the runtime what the point of all of it was? I was really not understanding why we should care about this character? Then it dawned on me what the meaning of the whole film was, or at least what I interpreted the film to be in my mind. It's about a character who is looking for something genuine in life someone who he can trust and that won't betray him and instead just be there for him. Everyone we know in this film turns on the main character or changes his perception of them. I'm not going to go much more into it than that just in case someone reads this who hasn't seen it, but I think its an interesting plot device. My problem with this film though is I wasn't really invested in Billy Bob's acting. I also thought that some of the things they throw into the film were a little too off the beaten path for me. In this movie nothing really happens you are just kind of viewing things from the prism of this broken man. It's kind of depressing and I don't mind that, but this is just a warning before hand if you haven't seen it. There are a couple of other things that just kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but overall I would recommend this film to someone who is alright with watching a slow paced movie about a man who is almost an alien to the normal world.

+
Please change your avatar I feel like I am reading my own posts with my old avatar and my own name.
I think you two are the same... both are named Cole... hmm and both got a thing for Bale...

are you sure you are not long lost twins?

All I'm going to say is you have a good taste in film .

Sicario (2015)

I love a good action/thriller, so I really appreciate one that's made this well, doesn't rely on silly action scenes, and has terrific performances. For about the first 45 minutes, I was totally loving this movie. It was full of excitement and tension, and I thought it was going to end up my favorite movie from 2015. The rest of the movie was very solid, but for me, the excitement completely disappeared to the extent that when it ended, I thought, is that F'N it?! This is a high quality movie that I'm underrating, but my disappointment is what I'm going to remember most. I already had a suck finish to the Patriots game; I didn't need another one. Oh yea, my wife thought it started awesome too, then she fell asleep. That may have been the weed though.

Sicario (2015)

I love a good action/thriller, so I really appreciate one that's made this well, doesn't rely on silly action scenes, and has terrific performances. For about the first 45 minutes, I was totally loving this movie. It was full of excitement and tension, and I thought it was going to end up my favorite movie from 2015. The rest of the movie was very solid, but for me, the excitement completely disappeared to the extent that when it ended, I thought, is that F'N it?! This is a high quality movie that I'm underrating, but my disappointment is what I'm going to remember most. I already had a suck finish to the Patriots game; I didn't need another one. Oh yea, my wife thought it started awesome too, then she fell asleep. That may have been the weed though.
didn't like it too much either... was ok

Ip Man 2 directed by Wilson Yip -
So many different elements culminate into making Ip Man such a solid and entertaining series. Ip Man himself never feels over powered, and his opponents are never incompetent. It's all a fair fight, and the story they choose to go with in this installment heavily uses that theme. They do it well of capturing all the different styles of Kung Fu, and making each one feel new and interesting, and then bringing in Western Boxing only adds to that. Ip Man's character and skill evolves as he fights, and the choreography enhances that to highest degree. The biggest and only complaint is how disconnected the plot was, the movie felt fast, and every story point it wanted to hit, it hit almost immediately. Certainly story lines the film delved into seemed to disappear, and that pulled away from the films much needed emotional moments. When I spoke earlier about Ip Man 1 I stated that it felt almost like the martial arts version of Rocky and in some ways it was better. Ip Man 2 continues to prove my point, as it combines elements from Rocky IV and Rocky III, and goes its own route with those ideas. This is almost as good as the first movie, and the few things that hold it down could probably be ignored with rewatches. My excitement is only growing for Ip Man 3.

Pure Luck

About as funny as I remembered! It was available via hbogo although it's in standard definition.
Martin Short and Danny Glover. Plus a small role featuring hershall from the walking dead.

Very good. The last bits, however, are a bit boring after nearly 3 hours. The part where they build the tunnel is the best, only pros could have done that also in a POW camp prisioners have much more freedom than in peacetime prisons.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm staying away from the movie for now for kind of this reason. All of the media hype surrounding it has been about the "difficulty" of the shooting, which is just basically clickbait for Oscar voters and non serious movie watchers who can equate difficulty in acting with quality in acting. I'm sure it was difficult, but that doesn't mean that the performance gets at any greater truth. It also fits in perfectly with the meme about DiCaprio never winning an Oscar, which his staff is surely aware of.

The rest of the buzz has been surrounding the showmanship of the cinematography. Again, people just equate this technical skill with quality, Inarritu being an easy example because he favors long takes (though few recognize one of the greater skills in this, which is using editing to make the takes appear longer than they are). Unless I see a thoughtful consideration of the film that doesn't just use buzzwords to talk about "quality," I'm going to stay away from the film until all of this hype stuff dies down and I can go into it with as few expectations in mind as possible.
Agree 100%. I started to watch this, and couldn't get far into it. I knew "cinematography" is usually a good word for "no script", I thought the first scene beginning was corny and I really don't wanna see Leonardo getting chased by a bear. There are hundreds of movies from the 30s-70s I haven't seen, including about 50 that I know have a great chance to be great, usually by directors I love.

2.5 / 5
The Not-so-good Dinosaur
CLICHES, CLICHES EVERYWHERE.

This is a very cookie-cutter family adventure film. Watching this with a friend, the film was predictable and allowed us to easily guess every major plot point before it occurred. I mean seriously: hero is underrated and picked on, father dies, hero unlocks his inner courage and is given motivation through father's ghost to save a kidnapped 'foe turned friend' and as a result he finally is no longer shrouded in his Father's shadow and is finally allowed to mark his paw print next to his father's. This is a cookie cutter formula.

Even the visual's, a sharp and ultra-realistic backdrop intercepted by large playdoh looking dinosaurs was so odd that it took me out of the film multiple times. It is the most lacklustre Pixar film I have watched to date, what the hell happened?

Tfl
Sicario
Disappointing, wouldn't watch it again 2/5

Sicario (2015)

Hahaha yeah I agree the movie was so okay and it really disappointed me because I'm a huge fan of Enemy and Prisoners.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone thats seen sicario more than once.
I got the impression it's not really a film I'd want to watch twice.. once the mystery is gone i've a hunch it would all fall flat.

I'm gladI watched the film and all, it was interesting. had cool arial shots. but it wasn't great.