Remakes better than the original?

Tools    

Lol!
Dredd is also not a remake.
No, but it's certainly a better screen version of Judge Dredd.

But Not Slight of Mind or Tongue...
A rare example where the remake is considered the classic, not the original, is the 1941 version of The Malt Falcon starring Bogart. It is so much better the original film made in 1931.

Always (1989) is better than A Guy Named Joe (1943)

An Affair to Remember (1957) is better than Love Affair (1939)

His Girl Friday (1940) is better than The Front Page (1931)
I've never seen Always, but I agree with the other two.

So awesome to see some love for the remake of The Producers...I was pretty sure I was the only person on the planet who liked the musical remake. Can't get on board with you regarding Michael Keaton...loved him as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never seen Always, but I agree with the other two.
Have you seen A Guy Named Joe? If so, what did you think of it?

If you get a chance, watch Always. It's one of my favorite movies, so I'd love to read your review of it. I think it's a very underrated movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
So awesome to see some love for the remake of The Producers...I was pretty sure I was the only person on the planet who liked the musical remake. Can't get on board with you regarding Michael Keaton...loved him as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Gideon, I watched the remake of The Producers after you recommended it, and I liked it too. I don't think it's as good as the original, but it's a very different movie, and it probably gets hurt being compared to the 1967 version.

You can read my review of it here.

I prefered Red Dragon to Manhunter, although I'm sure many will disagree. I like the more polished feel to Red Dragon, but I can see the appeal to the raw tone of Manhunter, too.

I prefered Red Dragon to Manhunter, although I'm sure many will disagree. I like the more polished feel to Red Dragon, but I can see the appeal to the raw tone of Manhunter, too.
I'm somewhat torn on this one, although I find myself on the side of the fence that thinks MANHUNTER is the superior film. I would agree with those that say that MANHUNTER is a technically superior film, and without a doubt Michael Mann is such a vastly superior filmmaker to Brett Ratner that it doesn't really even warrant a comparison between the two.

But, there is something that I do appreciate about the fact that RED DRAGON is more faithful to Harris' novel and the cast is outstanding, especially Ralph Fiennes.

I'm somewhat torn on this one, although I find myself on the side of the fence that thinks MANHUNTER is the superior film. I would agree with those that say that MANHUNTER is a technically superior film, and without a doubt Michael Mann is such a vastly superior filmmaker to Brett Ratner that it doesn't really even warrant a comparison between the two.

But, there is something that I do appreciate about the fact that RED DRAGON is more faithful to Harris' novel and the cast is outstanding, especially Ralph Fiennes.
I agree there – I thought Ralph Fiennes was great as Dollarhyde. The scene where he's in distress because the Red Dragon is compelling him to kill Reba is really good because you feel sorry for him. Tom Noonan was fantastic but I'm not sure Dollarhyde's humanity was that easy to connect to.

I would say that Manhunter scores particularly by having Brian Cox, who is a superior Lecter because he doesn't advertise Lecter's insanity. Hopkins thinks of Lecter as the Bogeyman and that's part of the performance.

Quoted for truth !

I agree with everyone who mentioned The Hills Have Eyes, far better than the original for me. Some others I've preferred to the original:

Total Recall - yeah, I said it!
The Last House on the Left - the remake that came out after Wes Craven's remake.
The Crazies
Let Me In - remake of Let The Right One In

sometimes the remakes become the worsts

sometimes the remakes become the worsts
I was thinking that when Payback was on the other day. Again, probably not classed as a remake of Point Blank but based on the same story.

Heat (remake of L.A. Takedown)
If... (remake of Zero for Conduct)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (remake of All That Heaven Allows)
The Departed (remake of Infernal Affairs)
His Girl Friday (remake of The Front Page)
Traffic (remake of Traffik)
Monsieur Hire (remake of Panic)
Nosferatu: The Vampyr (remake of Nosferatu)
13 Assassins (2010)
Vanilla Sky (remake of Abre Los Ojos)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
King Kong (2005)
Ocean's 11 (2001)

And I consider Sorcerer about on par with Wages of Fear.

Mad Max Fury Road > Mad Max > Mad Max 2 > Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

I actually watched the older films and was quite disappointed Thunderdome was played down considering the other three films.

I don't have a problem with Keaton as Batman, I just have a problem with the costume designer that refused to let him move his neck.

I keep hearing "well back in the day, they couldn't do that", but that's ridiculous. Concealing the neck with a second layer of black cloth beneath a black mask has got to be one of the easiest costume adjustments you could make if you didn't already think ahead and design the mask to overlap with the cowl.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Departed
The Maltese Falcon
A Fistful of Dollars
Ocean's Eleven
Airplane!
The Ten Commandments
I don't know if I would consider Airplane! a remake per se...it borrows basic plot elements from the movie Zero Hour, but it is not an exact remake of that film, but a satire of a specific film genre.