Do you watch particular movies at special times of the year?

Tools    

Boldly going.
Some movies I like to watch at particular times of year.
New Years- The Time Machine

Groundhog Day- Groundhog Day

Valentine's Day- Warm Bodies, Shakespeare in Love

Easter- The Greatest Story Ever Told

Mother's Day- AI: Artificial Intelligence, Dumbo, Aliens

Father's Day- Real Steel, Despicable Me, 3:10 to Yuma

Halloween- Pet Sematary, Addam's Family, Monster House, The Shining, Needful Things, Ghostbusters, Young Frankenstein, etc.

Remembrance Day- Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Schindler's List, U-571, War Horse, 300

December- How the Grinch Stole Christmas, It's a Wonderful World, Die Hard, Home Alone

How about you?

Used to be, they always played the Ten Commandments on Easter (or near Passover, which makes sense).
I also used to watch King of Kings or The Greatest Story Ever Told on Easter.

When I was a kid I remember spending all day on Thanksgiving watching monster movies - they'd show King Kong, Son of Kong, Mighty Joe Young, and the various Toho Godzilla movies. I think they used to also show Rankin Bass' Mad Monster Party on Thanksgiving (one of my childhood favorites).

Halloween & Christmas kind of go without saying - horror movies & Christmas movies. There'd always be a viewing of one of the versions of A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life was a standard for X-mas.

Easter Sunday: Hop

July 4th: 1776 and Independence Day

December: It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street
gbg - how could I forget 1776 on the 4th of July? It's become a yearly tradition! Thanks for reminding me.
(Sometimes I'll also watch Yankee Doodle Dandy! I know you do too!)

And I like to watch The Longest Yard when the Superbowl is on!

I don't have any particular steadfast traditions on this front. I usually watch Christmas Vacation at some point during the holidays. Used to watch Jingle All the Way on Christmas Eve but that tradition has seemed to fall by the wayside in recent years.

Also used to get together with my cousins, uncle, and couple other people the night before Thanksgiving to watch a bunch of scary movies. Talked about doing it one year and then the only time we could all get together to do it was over Thanksgiving and it kind of become a tradition for several years before schedules and a little family drama got in the way of it and it also fell by the wayside. I also try to take in as many horror films as I can on Halloween or over the weekend closest to it each year.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
gbg - how could I forget 1776 on the 4th of July? It's become a yearly tradition! Thanks for reminding me.
(Sometimes I'll also watch Yankee Doodle Dandy! I know you do too!)

And I like to watch The Longest Yard when the Superbowl is on!

Yes, Yankee Doodle Dandy is another July 4th tradition for me too. Sometimes it ends up getting pushed back to July 5th if I'm busy and can't get to it until after Midnight, but it's always before I go to sleep that night.

Boldly going.

A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life was a standard for X-mas.
Christmas Carol is a favourite of mine too. I particularly like the animated film with Jim Carrey's voice.

Oh, sometimes I watch Peter Jackson's King Kong around New Year's (probably because of the winter scene in Central Park).

Lord of the Rings trilogy every Thanksgiving. This year I tried to watch the Hobbit films too, mistake. I go on a horror binge around Halloween.

Elf is always the film for December for me.

United 93 on or near September 11th.
*laughs* Cripes, that's a miserable holiday.

I wonder if there are people who watch Bowling for Columbine just to reinforce their fear of school shootings every year?

If I had a steak, I would f**k it!
Outside of holidays not really. Although...

Bear with me for this story. My first semester of college, I didn't have too many final exams to worry about, so I decided to take the opportunity to finally watch Schindler's List. The next semester, I just wanted to watch a really long movie to remind myself I'm still in control of my life during finals. I just happened to come across Schindler's List, so I figured I might as well watch it again. So, now Schindler's List is a finals tradition for me, and that's how it got started!

Weirdly, I've actually seen Schindler's List. It was part of history class one year (it was one of those things you needed parent permission for), but I don't remember a damn thing about it other than the subject material.

I think they showed it to us way too early for any of it to really have an impact. Many years later they showed A Beautiful Mind in health class and THAT I totally remember.

Also eventually saw The Matrix in philosophy class when we were discussing skepticism which made for a fun day too.

I think my education fell by the wayside around the same time my teachers' taste in movies did too, because Twilight was required reading and also a movie day in English class in high school.

Never read Huckleberry Finn, or The Great Gatsby, or To Kill A Mockingbird, but I sure read friggen' Twilight.

To roll it all back on topic though, my old choir/band classes typically held an annual showing of Fantasia, and Fantasia's awesome, so there's that.

I have to return some videotapes...
I usually only watch films in the season during October and December. I watch 31 horror films on October and I try to watch classic Christmas films in December.

Boldly going.
*laughs* Cripes, that's a miserable holiday.

I wonder if there are people who watch Bowling for Columbine just to reinforce their fear of school shootings every year?
I agree, but I never used the word holidays.