They SHOULD be Household Names...

Tools    

Michael Kenneth Williams

This Hollywood veteran, almost as well known for his facial scar as for his career, is probably best known for his role as Omar Little on the HBO series The Wire. He also had recurring TV roles on Alias, The Killpoint and Boardwalk Empire. His film credits include Bringing out the Dead, Broke Even, I think I love my Wife, Tell Tale, and 12 Years a Slave. Solid actor who has been on the cusp of stardom for a long time. BTW, according to the IMDB, the actor received the scar during a bar fight on his 25th birthday when he was assaulted with razor blades.

Kristen Chenoweth

I know a lot of people find this actress annoying but I love her. She first made a splash on Broadway when she won a Tony for playing Sally in a revival of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown and originated the role of Glinda in Wicked. Television audiences might remember her for playing Lily in the 1999 TV version of Annie, as well as a recurring roles on Kristen, Pushing Daisies, and GCB. Her film credits include Bewitched, Stranger than Fiction, and Four Christmases. Say what you want about her, she has the talent to become a household name.

Blythe Danner

After almost a half-century in the business, it really sucks that this gifted actress is best known for being Gwyneth Paltrow's mother. She first caught my eye in the sitcom Adam's Rib and the film version of 1776, where she played Martha Jefferson. She won two Emmys for her work on the series Huff and was also nominated for her role as Will's mother on Will & Grace. Her other movie credits include Three Days of Rain, The Quality of Light, The Prince of Tides, and Meet the Parents. Household name status is LONG overdue for this wonderful actress.

Idris Elba

This seriously sexy actor first caught my eye as the best thing about a 1995 Tyler Perry film called Daddy's Little Girls. This talented Englishman (yes, he's English with an accent to die for) actually made his television debut on the British import Absolutely Fabulous. His other film credits include American Gangster, Buffalo Soldiers, Sorted, 28 Weeks Later, The Reaping,Obsessed, Thor, and Pacific Rim. He also won a Golden Globe for the mini series Luther and there is a lot of rumbling in Hollywood about him being the next James Bond and anyone being considered for Bond definitely has household name status potential.
I do love his name! Just the sound of if. After the first time I heard it, I walked around saying it (having little idea who I was talking about). His name sounds like the name of some great river in an exotic land!
(He played Heimdall in the Thor and latest Avengers movies. Heimdall is the guardian of the rainbow bridge Bifrost that connects Earth (Midgard) to Asgard.)
Recently viewed No Good Deed (2014) where Idris plays a villain.

-Stanley Tucci

This quietly brilliant actor has been working steadily in this business since his film debut in 1984's Prizzi's Honor. His other film credits include Monkey Shines, Slaves of New York, Who's that Girl?, Billy Bathgate, Beethoven, It Could Happen to You, Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, The Public Eye, Big Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999), Road to Perdition, The Terminal, The Devil Wears Prada, and received an Oscar nomination for The Lovely Bones. Television fans might remember his recurring roles in Equal Justice, Murder One, Bull, and played Stanley Kubrick in the HBO movie The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. Another actor who has household name status and an Oscar in his future.

Harry Dean Stanton

When the phrase "supporting actor" is uttered, this is one of the first names that always comes up. He made his film debut in 1956 in The Wrong Man and has appeared in over 100 films, including The Proud Rebel, Pork Chop Hill, The Hostage, The Godfather Part II, Straight Time, The Rose, Private Benjamin, Pretty in Pink, Paris, Texas, Wild at Heart, Down Periscope, The Straight Story, Alpha Dog, The Green Mile, and This Must Be the Place. His TV credits are too numerous to name and he is definitely one of Hollywood's most recognizable faces and long overdue for household name status.

This list seemed to cause a little controversy and I guess that's because of differing concepts of what a household name is. A household name to MoFo's is just not going to be the same as a household name to the man on the street. There will be no honorable mentions, I think enough actors have been acknowledged here and yes, my # 1 choice is going to be someone that MoFo's consider a household name, but trust me, to the man on the street, this performer is not....they know the face. but probably don't know the name...and now...my # 1 choice for household name status:

I haven't seen Stanley Tucci in many movies, but he was terrific in the "Monk" episode "Mr. Monk and the Actor". I think he won an Emmy Award for that performance.
He did win an Emmy for that episode as well as for the TV movie where he played Walter Winchell.

Stockard Channing

Everyone knows her as Rizzo from the 1978 musical Grease, the top grossing movie musical of all time. She received an Oscar nomination for her performance in Six Degrees of Separation and won Emmys for her work on NBC's The West Wing and for The Matthew Shepherd Story, but her career spans all the way back to 1972 and her film debut in the Barbra Streisand film Up the Sandbox. Her long list of film credits include The Fortune, The Big Bus, Without a Trace, Heartburn, The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh, Married to it, Twilight (1998), and The Business of Strangers. In addition to playing the First Lady on The West Wing, Channing has played recurring roles on Stockard Channing in Just Friends, Out of Practice, and is currently playing Juliana Margulies' mother on The Good Wife. A powerhouse actress who can steal scenes and share them with equal alacrity and in my opinion, is my first choice for an actor who deserves household name status.

Hope you enjoyed the list.

As I think you already know, I think Stockard Channing is a fantastic actress and it's not a surprise to see her as your #1 choice as I know you think she's great, too.

Congrats on finishing your list.

As I think you already know, I think Stockard Channing is a fantastic actress and it's not a surprise to see her as your #1 choice as I know you think she's great, too.

Congrats on finishing your list.
I had a feel that you would know who my # 1 would be Honeykid. You know I loves me some Stockard.

Really like the list! Funny thing is with the amount of movies I watch I do recognize a lot of these people lol (As I'm sure many on here do) but there were a lot I didn't know either.

Sam Rockwell is another name I think should be very recognizable. One of my favorite actors but he never really gets the recognition he deserves. He is in A LOT of movies too, but not many people actually know his name.