The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I'm not a Easy Rider fan either.

I do like Sound of Music. Nearly made my list but I cut it in the end.

Top 10 Prediction
1. Psycho
2. 2001
3. Once Upon a Time in the West
4. Strangelove
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
7. Persona
8. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. Midnight Cowboy
10. 8 1/2

It's a prediction. This would be my nightmare from hell nearly.
I doubt Mocking Bird will be top ten, I think it'll show up next set in fact. I'm on a drought haven't seen either of today's either

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I had a bunch of musicals on my list, but The Sound of Music wasn't one of them. I like the movie, but it's just not one of my favorite musicals. It doesn't have the rewatchability of most other musicals. It's considered one of the greatest musicals ever, so I expected it to be high on the list, but based on the comments so far, I'm surprised to see it this high on the MoFo list.

I've seen Easy Rider, but it was only okay for me.

I'm the one who gave Easy Rider 14 points (I gave 0 to The Sound of Music). Both times I saw it (the most recent time was at the AFI in Silver Springs, MD) I expected it to not be that great -- iconic zeitgeist film of the late 60s/early 70s reflexively conjures the likes of Billy Jack and various mediocre imitations for me -- but wound up loving it.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
My Fair Lady - I seriously thought about adding this one, but in the end, I never had it on any sort of top 25 list of mine other than a musical one (I have always been against the fact that Julie Andrews wasn't cast in the role) - and, honestly, I would've just been listing it for this man, anyway:

He's the entire film for me.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - I like it very much, but I never considered it.

Easy Rider - I didn't consider this one either.

The Sound of Music - With the exception of two songs in it, I don't like this musical and I never have. I don't know what is so appealing about it. My brother (who has never liked it either) has always said "It is just about a nun who couldn't stay celibate".

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Sound of Music - With the exception of two songs in it, I don't like this musical and I never have. I don't know what is so appealing about it. My brother (who has never liked it either) has always said "It is just about a nun who couldn't stay celibate".

Did you know that Christopher Plummer hated working on The Sound of Music so much that he called it "The Sound of Mucus"?

Easy Rider was my #6. Here's what I wrote about it a year ago. I'd only been a member here for about 2-3 weeks at the time and I used a three popcorn rating from Lucas as a catalyst to randomly talk about why I love the film:

"They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em."

I love movies that are time capsules of the past--- movies that so perfectly capture the era in which they were made that it's like stepping into a time machine. Easy Rider could not have been made during any other time in history--- not without losing its authenticity, at least. The 60's is in its DNA. It lives and breathes and bleeds the 60's. I get a contact high just from watching the film.

(Hey, Mr. Nicholson, don't bogart that joint!)

I've often wished that I could've been a teenager during the 60's (as long as I don't have to worry about being drafted to 'Nam or anything like that). I've always loved everything about the decade: the movies, the music, the fashion, the hairstyles, the rampant drug use, the ideals, the winds of change blowing in the air. When I put on Easy Rider, I'm transported to a time period that I wasn't alive to experience. I get to hop on the back of a bike with Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda and drive across the country. Like Gravity allowed me to visit space, Easy Rider allows me to visit the age of peace and love and flower power--- which, as the movie illustrates, isn't as full of peace and love as one might expect.

Besides being the greatest road movie in history, Easy Rider is also one of the most important and revolutionary films ever made. It opened the door to a new breed of independent film-makers, something for which everyone on this forum can be grateful. Since it's deemed an all-time classic, I think many watch it expecting a movie that's much more polished, so they're a bit taken aback by how rough around the edges it is. But that roughness is part of what makes Easy Rider so brilliant, in my opinion. This is a landmark counter-culture film made by people who were actually part of the counter-culture movement. When characters drop acid in a graveyard, they're actually dropping acid in a graveyard! Hopper, Fonda and Nicholson weren't acting so much as just embodying who they already were. The rebellious, free-spirited attitude that serves as the movie's soul was already present in each of them.

No, there isn't much of a plot, but for me this is a "hang-out" movie. The soundtrack is phenomenal. Jack Nicholson turned himself into a star with his show-stealing performance. The editing, still to this day, feels inventive, as if even the camera has an acid blotter under its tongue. It's a great film, an important film, and one of my top twenty favorite films of all time. I love everything about it, warts and all.

Everything I wrote still stands. Easy Rider may not be be the best movie of the 60's, but I don't think there's any other film that more perfectly encapsulates the decade. I'm disappointed that it isn't higher on the countdown, but I'm not really surprised given the tepid reactions from a lot of people who seem to respect its profound influence on the industry but don't particularly enjoy watching it. Personally, this is a film that I never grow tired of re-watching. It appeals to my sensibilities in a lot of ways. My dad and a couple of my uncles were in motorcycle gangs before I was born. I never even learned how to properly ride a bicycle without training wheels, so there's no way in hell I'm ever going to own a motorcycle, but through being around Harley's some as a youth and hearing stories from my family and viewing old sepia-tinged photos of my father and uncles during their biker days, I've always been fascinated by that culture. The bikes, the long hair, the tattoos, the rock n' roll and heavy metal music, the partying, the drugs, the anti-establishment attitude -- all of that appeals to me.

As someone who grew up in the American South and always chose to dress differently and wear my hair long, I can relate very strongly to the restaurant scene in Easy Rider. I've often received those same judgmental looks and nasty remarks. The ideals of the characters also appeal to me. Just about four or five years ago I gave serious consideration to joining a commune. (Quite a few still exist, believe it or not, although nowadays they're often referred to as "intentional communities.") I didn't have anything else going on in my life at the time and I was starting to get in trouble a lot due to too much stored up anger and resentment, so I thought it'd be good to get away from everyone and everything and join up with a group of more similar-minded individuals. I'm still very drawn to that lifestyle. I'd love to say f**k you to The Man, drop out of society and live a self-sufficient life. I think that's a difficult, but much more rewarding way of life. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or self-discipline to ever accomplish it. So Easy Rider is wish fulfillment for me in a lot of ways. I watch the film and I think, "I want to be those guys! I want to drive my bike across the country! I want to drop acid in a graveyard! I want to smoke weed with Jack Nicholson! I want to get naked with a bunch of hairy hippy chicks!" As long as I don't suffer the same fate as the characters, sign me up! Since that isn't possible, though, I just watch Easy Rider and live vicariously through Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper.

My List So Far:
#6) Easy Rider
#12) Fail-Safe
#14) The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
#15) Repulsion
#16) Knife in the Water

You've gotta be kidding me. My Fair Lady, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Easy Rider and The Sound of Music ALREADY?!?!?!

There must be some big foreign crap nobody's ever heard of taking all of the higher up spots.
All those movies are too high in my opinion, some way too high.

5. Elmer Gantry (1960, Richard Brooks)
15. Z (1969, Costa-Gavras)
16. A Hard Day’s Night (1964, Richard Lester)
20. Mary Poppins (1964, Robert Stevenson)
21. My Fair Lady (1964, George Cukor)
23. Easy Rider (1969, Dennis Hopper)

Most of my movies that have made the list are in my bottom 10. That means movies I REALLY love will either be pretty high or won't show up, which is to be expected. I'm starting to lose hope for one of my top 10 that I thought had a chance on the list, though I hope I'm wrong and a lot more people voted for it than I would assume.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I forget, is he the lady?

I wish! Even he would've made a better Eliza Doolittle than Audrey Hepburn. I just didn't like her in there.

This is the guy that "stalks" Eliza (yes, essentially, he is stalking her while he is singing his song). And - because I am weird - I have a tendency to watch that entire movie just so I can look at him.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Anybody who knows me knows I love Easy Rider, but I had the same problem as cricket did when I eventually had to cut it. It's as direct as a beautiful travelogue in its depiction of the landscape of the Southwestern U.S. It shows the various alternative lifestyles people of the time were choosing while the enigmatic anti-heroes had to choose one for themselves. Was Captain America (Peter Fonda) right when he said they blew it? Amid occasional bursts of phantasmagoria, Easy Rider states its case of what is was like to be an American in the '60s. Although it's not changing at nearly as fast a rate nowadays, we're certainly still a divided country.
Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)

I posted much of what I enjoy about this film at another thread where I showed the "This used to be a Helluva good country" and "The Venusians are working amongst us" scenes. I'll try to track those down for you to remember and enjoy, but for now, I'd rather just share my personal thoughts about this film.

Easy Rider, at least for me, is a very profound film. More than any other of the films trying to define the era of the Vietnam War, which obviously includes reoccurring racism, Hippies, drugs, the mistrust of the government (pre-Watergate!), the mistrust of our youth, the divide between the "traditional" Americans and the "Younger Generation" ("Red Vs. Blue" - that sounds so Revolutionary War), the concept of what the "American Dream" is ("You go for the big money, and then you're free... "), the communes, etc., certainly dates the film because it was just about as up to date as was possible.

My brother used to criticize Easy Rider as being flawed because all the marijuana smokers had their own joints. My brother is informed, but he's also short-sighted. Criticizing Easy Rider because they don't pass a single joint around makes as much sense as saying that people smoke dope ONLY as a communal experience. It's partially correct, but it doesn't reflect people's reality, including my Bro's. The reality is that Easy Rider takes what seems to be an exagerration of America's attitude and turns it on its head. The awesome scene just outside of LAX where Phil Spector sells the drugs to Captain America and Billy is a textbook example of how to draw an audience in, both visually and cinematically.
The Sound of Music is a very entertaining musical, and it gets your attention immediately with the on location in the Alps intro. As Julie Andrews appears in the hills below, the camera swoops down on her as she sings the title song. It was so iconic, Disney recreated it for their Beauty and the Beast animated feature. The film occasionally gets a bad rap for being saccharine but it reflects a realistic depiction of the events these characters actually went through at the beginning of WWII. But for the most part it is a romantic comedy with tons of songs, so I can understand the coolness factor of avoiding it or hating it out of hand. It gets a big from me, but it was never in serious contention for my list, which still has five of them to appear so far.

It's been over 20 years since I saw either of those films so they weren't in contention for my list.

I watched Easy Rider when I was about 20 and was a little underwhelmed. It didn't really live up to its reputation and felt really dated. Having said that, I think if I watched it now rather than as a 20 year old looking for something "cool" I would appreciate it more.

Saw The Sound of Music as a kid. Not sure how much I liked it but it definitely had a lot of memorable scenes.

My list:

1. Late Autumn
2. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
8. The Human Condition III
10. An Autumn Afternoon
13. In the Heat of the Night
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
24. Z
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 52 of 64

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great write ups Mark and Spaulding - as ALWAYS.

I watched ALL of those musicals from the 60's as a kid in the late sixties and early seventies. Two of which stayed with me in my list (Oliver! and Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang).
Not sure if I could sit through Sound of Music nowadays but it WAS one of those that I watched any ole time it was on TV as a kid - which was A LOT.
One of my favorite scenes was near the end when the Trapp family was escaping and two nuns were confessing to their Mother Superior about how they have sinned; revealing the distributor and wires from the German soldiers' vehicles from beneath their habits.
Still makes me chuckle.

Haven't seen Easy Rider since my late twenties, and like spaulding, i watched it for the "hangout film" that it was. Being a long haired, leather jacket with a denim cut-off over it-wearing delinquent meself back in the day.

As for the whole "where movies are showing up in the list" thing, we have this with every list and Daniel expressed, very well, what should be obvious: this is a VERY eclectic and quite prolific forum. One of the many reasons I love this place so much. So, with such a wide range of tastes in movies, these lists WILL express that. And that's a GOOD THING.
True, its easy to get agitated when a fav is placed way to low or far too soon, or something we never cared for, gets too high in the list. . . . but, in the end, this is all for fun and for discussion/debate/complaint/praise/etc, etc, so, like Megamind said: "Let's have fun with it, c'mon."

The Breakdown...

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

3rd (23 points), 4th (22 points), 5th (21 points), 7th (19 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 2x 13th (26 points), 17th (9 points),

Judgment at Nuremberg

2nd (24 points), 3rd (23 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 5th (21 points), 9th (17 points), 13th (13 points), 2x 15th (22 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 22nd (4 points)

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.