Let's Explore and Discuss by Theme

Tools    

I propose something we can all participate in together. Join up with people in small groups and collaboratively pick a theme that you want to explore and discuss together. It can be a director, an actor, a genre, or any kind of theme you can think of. Together you compile a small list of films that you all want to see. Then you begin watching them and discussing them together. I would like to emphasise that you should go into as much detail and depth as you can, rather than just having superficial discussions. I would not suggest picking a director/actor who's filmography you've already completely seen, unless you want to watch a bunch of them again. The purpose, at least the way I see it, is to explore new territory. And I often find myself writing reviews of various lengths, but what I really want to do more is talk about the various elements of those movies more with other interested people.

This shouldn't require as much commitment as a HoF. People can be in more than one group simultaneously. There doesn't have to be time restraints. People can drop out of groups and join groups that are already going. People can randomly participate in the discussions of other groups. Generally I want there to be structure, but also flexibility and freedom.

Some themes that I would be interested in doing this for are:
Jean-Luc Godard's Films
Anna Karina's Films
French New Wave Films
Realistic Samurai and Ninja Films
Coming of Age Films
Andrei Tarkovsky's Films
Korean Films
Japanese Films
Anime
Roman Polanski's Films
Ingmar Bergman's Films
Federico Fellini's Films
Francois Truffaut's Films
Louis Malle's Films

I'm particularly interested in exploring some other directors who I like to think of as "giants" and legendary great brilliant monster directors who I haven't even really touched yet. Also certain film movements like Chinese New Wave.

So does this sound appealing to some of you?

I can dwell on one of Tarkovsky`s works, that is Stalker. I saw it and didn`t quite understand at first, I thought about the main hero`s words and actions and couldn`t quite catch the idea of the film. However later it occured to me that probably there was really nothing supernatural in the Zone but the Stalker just wanted people to believe that there is something good them, that they are capable of good actions.