Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Yeah nice achievement and congrats GS, just one question, what made you give only a
to Ran? Personally I think it is his best film.

Care for some gopher?
Luci del varietá (I, 1950, Federico Fellini/Alberto Lattuada) -

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (Mark Hartley, 2014)

Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014)

Okay, ehm, what?!

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? (1966)

Wow! What a ****ed-up movie! A festival of amazing writing and acting, with great directing details and with a couple of tremendous scenes!
Elizabeth Taylor, George Segal and Sandy Dennis deliver incredible performances, no doubt about that, but what Richard Burton does is not only in a different league, it's a whole new sport. It's definitely among the best performances in the history.
I felt it's probably 20 minutes longer than it should but it's well paced, nevertheless. The whole final is amazing but the Bible reading scene is... overwhelming!

Thanks Gatsby for recommending me this one.

+

The Babadook

Ba-ba-ba... dook!

I love that flick

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

From the top 100 Sci-Fi list, a pretty interesting story in which firemen are in charge of seeking out and burning all literature. Complications arise for one fireman when he becomes fond of reading. An interesting story like I said, but I didn't find the translation to film all that interesting. Julie Christie plays two roles, and it's got some great visuals. Not bad, worth a watch.

The adaption of Ray Bradbury's masterpiece should really be remade. There are so many elements of the book that could be reproduced with modern effects to create a great sci-fi film. I envisage a Minority Report style thriller.

The Thick Walled Room (1956) - Masaki Kobayashi (Japanese Drama)
The story of Japanese soldiers jailed post WWII for war crimes. It kind of feels like Kobayashi didn't quite know what he was trying to achieve with some of his early films - some of them are good but a bit messy. Of course, once he got everything together he produced eight years of great movies from The Human Condition I in 1959 through to Samurai Rebellion in 1967. This is a good film but it's not up to the standard of what he would produce a few years later and like many films from that time it suffers from having terrible acting from the American cast members who I assume were amateurs.

The Green Zone (2010) - Paul Greengrass (American War)
Decent but ultimately forgettable film about the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Not much more I can say because I have forgotten most of it but my rating suggests I must have quite liked it ...

Undertow (2004) - David Gordon Green (American Drama)
Green is one of my favourite modern American directors and I think he could have a great future if he stays away from being a gun for hire in Hollywood - unfortunately I don't think he will but hopefully he'll keep coming up with films like this occasionally.

Here Green has created a very good family drama/thriller with some pretty dark themes. I think George Washington is his best film but this comes close.