Slasher Hall of Fame

Tools    

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Used to love it in my early teens, in fact I was downright obsessed with Freddy Krueger at one point. Some sequences are still quite striking, I was impressed by the special effects this time around. It's not really scary though. Freddy just feels very fictitious, there is no way he would frighten me if he were to actually appear in my dreams (you're just a movie character bro), unlike some protagonists from other slashers that would probably make me soil myself. Still a pretty unique and surreal slasher. Freddy is still rad regardless.

OK, some of the reviews have been nothing more than the title, pictures, and ratings. Close to, anyway. I'm only mentioning that because of what I want to do for my next review. I am in no way trying to be disrespectful, or rude. I simply did not like this movie, and minus all the swearing this guy does, I agree with pretty much everything he says. So, with that being said, I will be posting two videos for my next review. Once again, I promise there is no disrespect intended.

Jason X

I think anyone who makes a video of themselves finding mistakes in the 10th Friday the 13th movie has got way too much time on their hands

It's a comedy - it is stupid, pointless and doesn't make sense but unlike most of the other Friday the 13th movies it is well aware of those things.

Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)
Alfred Sole
Nominated by Destiny

A story of jealousy between two little sisters, Karen and Alice, takes a turn for the grotesque as we enter a murder mystery of little Karen, who got all the attention. Alice is the remaining daughter of a divorced couple, strictly forbidden in the Catholic religion. The whole film takes place in a Catholic-type community and this just adds to the ominous vibe of the story. The story centers on a little girl Alice, who is schizoid, rather violent, and perhaps not as little and undeveloped as she appears. Everyone, even Alice's aunt, thinks Alice killed her little sister out of jealousy... well, except for her divorced mother and father.

More disturbing and sinister than other slashers in here, Alice, Sweet Alice doesn't really have any light to speak of. This one has the most powerful blood content of all the nominations, for me, due to how the story is handled

WARNING: "Alice, Sweet Alice" spoilers below
There's some ambiguity to the conclusion. The main killer turns out to be a crazy old Catholic lady out to punish the sins of Alice's parents. Not only that, the crazy old woman kills the priest in church as they try and arrest her. Yikes. Alice ends up with the killer's knife and bag of bloody relics as we fade to black.

Above Average

Taking a break from the other thread! Wow!

I think anyone who makes a video of themselves finding mistakes in the 10th Friday the 13th movie has got way too much time on their hands
Yep, I always say that about a lot of things I see online.

I thought he was pretty funny, at times. He swears too much. I am not trying to be the pot calling the kettle black (If you were around me in everyday life, you'd get that.), but I think when you do something for the public, you could lay off of that a lot more than he did.

It's a comedy - it is stupid, pointless and doesn't make sense but unlike most of the other Friday the 13th movies it is well aware of those things.
Is it really? I'm sorry if I missed that earlier in this thread. I had no idea that when they made the movie, they were purposely being that way. I'll have to watch it again sometime, now that I know. When I first heard about this movie, I was like, "OK, this is great. They found a way to bring him back." Taking it as a serious attempt at a sequel, I was disappointed, before I ever watched it.

Is it really? I'm sorry if I missed that earlier in this thread. I had no idea that when they made the movie, they were purposely being that way. I'll have to watch it again sometime, now that I know. When I first heard about this movie, I was like, "OK, this is great. They found a way to bring him back." Taking it as a serious attempt at a sequel, I was disappointed, before I ever watched it.
I haven't really ever read too much about it but it had to be a comedy surely "Guys, it's okay! He just wanted his machete back"

He's described as "Uber Jason" in the credits. The whole thing just feels completely tongue in cheek to me.

Oh, Jason X is certainly not serious. It's a post-Scream Friday 13th. Comedy is taking it too far, but it's certainly not serious.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

It's not really scary though. Freddy just feels very fictitious, there is no way he would frighten me if he were to actually appear in my dreams (you're just a movie character bro), unlike some protagonists from other slashers that would probably make me soil myself.
pulling a 'defend-your-darling' card outta my red and green sleeves for a moment

I actually agree with you though in a sense BlueLion, i don't think Nightmare on Elm St is scary. before even seeing any of the movies, i thought Freddy Krueger was scary. i wrote a short story mentioning him for a class. But then when i watched Nightmare for the first time, it wasn't scary, it was packed with fun and style and atmosphere and great music and Heather Langenkamp

the only thing i can think of movie-wise that actually scared me was the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when i was 8 years old. Thought i was watching a fun little family film and was introduced to a pedophile child kidnapper who lured children in with free candy

I always imagined Freddy would be even worse than that, but he wasn't. The strange thing about Fred Krueger is, somehow everyone knows who he is. Even if they haven't seen the movies.. If you go walk through the ghetto and talk about Fred Krueger, they're gonna know who he is. If you walk through a luncheon full of rich tennis moms, they're gonna know who Freddy Krueger is. 'That guy whose movies i won't let my kids watch, gross!'

As far as fictitious, that's one way to approach stories, and movies, and characters. But it's not the way i choose to. As a kid i always enjoyed making up stories and characters, and drawing pictures of them, and sharing them with friends who liked to look. I used to make up Halloween stories and draw pumpkins to procrastinate doing school work I think that crossed over naturally as i began to get into movie-watching. This Nightmare film is a story that fogs the line between dreams and reality. I like that best about it, it's one reason why it's my favorite movie. It's possible for dreams to merge with reality, they can come true, that's what moviemaking is all about

I understand completely. I agree regarding Freddy - he is definitely pretty iconic, and it's what makes the movie iconic, but upon revisiting it after nearly a decade it turns out he's not as terrifying as I once thought. I think there is some pretty dark stuff in one of the Nightmare movies, but I'm not sure which one (could it be the one with Patricia Arquette?). I'm not sure, so I guess I'm going to have to rewatch the other movies at some point. Something tells me that one is probably my favorite of the Nightmare movies.

Jeepers Creepers (2001)

I dug the setting and the premise, but boy are the characters in this film stupid. I liked that it was nicely shot and it had some pretty tense moments in there as well, but most of this occurs only for about 30 minutes, as it slowly begins to become pretty ridiculous beyond that. This was also one of those times when I was reminded of the cliche that what is unseen is always scarier than what is actually seen, so I stopped taking it seriously as soon as I saw the appearance of the villain. Definitely watchable though. Overall not a bad nomination.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I always dug Jeepers Creepers. The ending scared the crap out of me as kid. Not a fan of the second one, but the first one's a solid horror flick. Quite atmospheric at times.

I always dug Jeepers Creepers. The ending scared the crap out of me as kid. Not a fan of the second one, but the first one's a solid horror flick. Quite atmospheric at times.
Hell Yeah

Happy Birthday to Me

This movie was a little frustrating to me. I thought it did everything well, but I didn't think it excelled in any area. One great thing can make a movie memorable; a theme song, a major shock, a great villain, etc., but this movie didn't have any of that. I can't point out any weakness in the movie, and I thought it had some of the best kills of the tournament, but it just left me wanting more. I don't mean too sound overly critical; it's just that I thought it was pretty close to being great. As it is, I definitely enjoyed it.

Best Kill: Weightlifting

Verdict: Above average

I owe reviews for Happy Birthday to Me, Jeepers Creepers, Alice Sweet Alice, Terror Train, Dressed to Kill, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween. Why in the hell didn't one of you tell me how behind I am?!? I'm going to attempt to finish this off by Monday. Then I better get my ass over to the Sci-fi thread. Why in the hell did I join that new thread!?! I'm screwed!

What the hell? I know I said that like two to three days ago. Why on Earth does it say one day ago? I'm taking a nap. I'll right these tonight. Maybe I should start saying things like, "In three days", or " Gimme a couple of days" I feel like I'd have more time.

*Now playingThe Twilight Zone theme*

In the middle of Saturday night, which is Sunday morning? If so, it feels farther away than that. I swear it was like Friday night, early Saturday morning.