GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Paprika (2006) - I watched this movie for the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame.

This movie is kind of confusing, but it's a very interesting movie. It's hard to figure out where the dreams end, and reality begins. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, and there were a few times that I was sure that the subtitles were all screwed up, (but they weren't), but once I started to understand the movie, (or at least I thought I understood it at the time), I was completely hooked. I'm not sure if it was the animation or the story that drew me in, or maybe a combination of the two, but this was definitely a very unique movie that was worth watching.

I think this is the type of movie that you have to see a few times before you understand it, and you'll probably learn something new each time you watch it. It's a bit disturbing at times, but the story was fascinating enough to hold my attention.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paprika-2006.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	21446  

My 2015 Movie Logbook:

January 2015 Movies
February 2015 Movies
March 2015 Movies
April 2015 Movies
May 2015 Movies (Scroll Down)
June 2015 Movies
July 2015 Movies
August 2015 Movies
September 2015 Movies

May 2015 Movies:
256) May 1st: The Face of Another (1966)
257) May 1st: The Thing (1982)
258) May 2nd: The Philadelphia Story (1940)
259) May 2nd: High Society (1956)
260) May 3rd: Escape from New York (1981)
261) May 3rd: Planet of the Apes (1968)
262) May 3rd: Paprika (2006)
263) May 4th: Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
264) May 4th: Heaven Can Wait (1978)
265) May 5th: 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
266) May 5th: Cloudburst (1951)
267) May 6th: The Liquidator (1965)
268) May 6th: Deep in My Heart (1954)
269) May 7th: Love Me or Leave Me (1955)
270) May 7th: The West Point Story (1950)
271) May 8th: Tea for Two (1950)
272) May 8th: On Moonlight Bay (1951)
273) May 9th: By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)
274) May 10th: Mr. Arkadin aka Confidential Report (1955)
275) May 10th: Journey Into Fear (1943)
276) May 11th: Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1957)
277) May 12th: Les Misérables (2012)
278) May 13th: Pocketful of Miracles (1961)
279) May 14th: Barefoot in the Park (1967)
280) May 15th: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) - (MoFo Commentary)
281) May 15th: North by Northwest (1959)
282) May 16th: A Star Is Born (1954)
283) May 16th: Big Night (1996)
284) May 17th: Always (1989)
285) May 18th: Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
286) May 18th: Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
287) May 19th: You Can't Take It With You (1938)
288) May 20th: Groundhog Day (1993) - (MoFo Commentary)
289) May 20th: Still of the Night (1982)
290) May 21st: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967)
291) May 21st: In the Heat of the Night (1967)
292) May 22nd: A Big Hand for the Little Lady (1966)
293) May 23rd: It's a Great Feeling (1949)
294) May 23rd: My Dream Is Yours (1949)
295) May 24th: April in Paris (1952)
296) May 24th: I'll See You in My Dreams (1951)
297) May 25th: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) - (MoFo Commentary)
298) May 25th: Seconds (1966)
299) May 26th: The Honeymoon Killers (1969)
300) May 26th: The Boston Strangler (1968)
301) May 27th: A Night to Remember (1958)
302) May 28th: From Here to Eternity (1953)
303) May 29th: The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
304) May 30th: Silent Fall (1994)
305) May 31st: Blackboard Jungle (1955)

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)

This is a wonderful fantasy about a boxer who is taken out of his body by an angel who thinks he's about to die, but when he gets to Heaven, he finds out that it's not yet his time, and he must be brought put back into his body. Unfortunately his body is no longer available, so Mr. Jordan, the angel's superior, must find him another body.

The movie is funny, romantic, and very enjoyable. The entire cast is terrific, especially Robert Montgomery and James Gleason, but it's Claude Rains as Mr. Jordan who really steals the movie.

Attachments

Name:	Here Comes Mr. Jordan-1941-wide.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	21517  

Heaven Can Wait (1978)

This movie is a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941), but instead of a boxer, the man who is mistakenly removed from his body is a football player.

Forget everything that you've heard about bad remakes. This remake is terrific, and in some ways, it's even better than the original movie. Warren Beatty and Julie Christie are wonderful together. Jack Warden is as good as James Gleason in the role of his manager and friend Max Corkle. And James Mason is almost as good as Claude Rains in the role of Mr. Jordan.

Attachments

Name:	Heaven Can Wait-1978.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	21518  

3:10 to Yuma (1957)

I'm not really a fan of westerns, but I've heard that this movie is one of the best, so I decided to give it a try. This was a very good movie because it was more about the people than the gunfights.

The movie starts out strong, and it never lets up, all the way through to the tension-filled ending. Van Heflin and Glenn Ford both give top-notch performances.

Attachments

Name:	3-10 to Yuma-1957.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	21519  

Cloudburst (1951)

I've always been a big fan of Robert Preston, so the only thing that I knew about this movie before watching it was that it stars Robert Preston. This movie is a mystery about a man whose wife is killed in a hit-and-run accident, so he investigates on his own to get revenge on his wife's killers.

It's not one of my favorites of his movies, but it's a very interesting movie. It's kind of dark and maybe even a little bit depressing at times, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes revenge movies.

Attachments

Name:	Cloudburst-1951.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	21520  

The Liquidator (1965)

This is another movie that I watched because I'm a fan of the star of the movie, in this case Rod Taylor, but I didn't know anything else about the movie before watching it. This movie is basically a spoof of the James Bond spy movies with Rod Taylor starring as a James Bond-type of hero, but with a little bit of Maxwell Smart mixed in.

This is a fun movie, but it's not great. It's worth watching if you just want to watch a goofy spy movie, but don't expect a masterpiece. Rod Taylor does a good job in the spy hero role.

+
Attachments

Name:	The Liquidator-1965-poster.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	21521  

Deep in My Heart (1954)

This movie is a musical that is worth watching for the singing and dancing, but the story didn't interest me much. It has cameo after cameo of some of the best singers and dancers of the 1950s, so if you like the old musicals, this might be worth watching just for the fantastic cast.

There are a lot of great musical numbers, but the highlight for me was a dance number that Gene Kelly did with his brother Fred Kelly.

Attachments

Name:	Deep in My Heart-1954.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	21522  

Love Me or Leave Me (1955)

This movie was recommended in Gideon58's "Favorite Biopics" thread. It's a biography of singer Ruth Etting, and it stars Doris Day and James Cagney.

This is a bit different than most of Doris Day's movies because it's a drama rather than a romantic comedy, and it's a bit darker than most of her movies. James Cagney plays a gangster, but he's not quite as tough as the gangsters that he's most well-known for portraying.

Doris Day is fantastic in this movie, and she really shines as a singer, a dancer, and also a dramatic actress. James Cagney is also terrific as the gangster who becomes her manager, and eventually her husband, but even though it's a musical, unfortunately he doesn't sing or dance in this movie. This is a great movie with some very good songs and a very interesting story.

Thank you Gideon58 for this terrific recommendation.

+
Attachments

Name:	Love Me or Leave Me-1955-wide.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	21523  

The West Point Story (1950)

This is another movie that I watched because it stars Doris Day and James Cagney, but I was pleasantly surprised to see Gordon MacRae also starring in the movie. This movie is good, but it's not great. The story is okay, and the movie has some good songs, and some catchy tunes, but nothing that really sticks with you long after the movie is over.

Gordon MacRae and Doris Day are very good together, and I was happy to read that they made several other movies together. James Cagney is also very good, and we even get to see him sing and dance a little bit in this movie. (I wish he had made more musicals.)

+
Attachments

Name:	The West Point Story-1950-dvd.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	21524  

Tea for Two (1950)

This is another movie that stars Doris Day and Gordon MacRae. It's a version of the play "No, No Nanette", but having never seen the play, I didn't really know much about the story before watching the movie.

Nanette Carter (Doris Day) wants to invest money in her boyfriend's stage show, so she goes to her uncle, J. Maxwell Bloomhaus (S.Z. Sakall), to get the money. He doesn't want to tell her that he doesn't have the money, so he makes a deal with her that she can only have the money if she says "No" to every question for the next 24 hours. She agrees, but it's not as easy as she expects.

This is a very funny movie with a fantastic soundtrack. Doris Day and Gordon MacRae are wonderful together, but Eve Arden and S.Z. Sakall have some of the funniest lines. This is one of my new favorite Doris Day movies.

Attachments

Name:	Tea for Two-1950-wide.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	21525  

On Moonlight Bay (1951)

Continuing with the Doris Day and Gordon MacRae movies, this movie has Doris Day as Marjorie Winfield and Gordon MacRae as William Sherman meeting and falling in love, but their relationship is complicated when her father, (Leon Ames), doesn't approve of him.

The movie has some wonderful songs sung by Doris Day and Gordon MacRae, including the classic song "On Moonlight Bay". Billy Gray is a bit annoying as her younger brother, but at least his role is important to the story, and he becomes a bit more likable as the story goes on.

Attachments

Name:	On Moonlight Bay-1951.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	21526  

By the Light of the Silvery Moon (1953)

This movie is a sequel to On Moonlight Bay (1951), and it again stars Doris Day as Marjorie Winfield and Gordon MacRae as William Sherman. They are still together, but they are having some problems with their relationship as he wants to make some money before they get married. There's also another plotline revolving around a love letter that adds some comedy to the story.

This movie again has Billy Gray as her younger brother, but he has a larger part in this movie causing some trouble for himself and the family. There are many more wonderful classic songs sung by Doris Day and Gordon MacRae. This is a very good movie, but I prefer the first movie because this one was kind of corny.

+
Attachments

Name:	By the Light of the Silvery Moon-1953.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	21527  

You done with your 60's watchlist?

I have a few 60s movies left that I want to watch, but I've seen most of the 60s movies that were on my list. (It was easier for me to keep track of the 60s movies when we were doing the lists one year at a time.) I'm pretty sure that most of the movies I have left are just fun movies, and they're not likely to make my list anyway.

But I'm still looking for more movies that I might not have seen yet, so I'm not ready to submit my list yet.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
This is a great idea to keep a log of what has been watched. I think I wouldn't do anything like this until next year, though, so that I can start off in January (and I don't really remember the exact movies that I watched this year, anyway ).

I liked your review of "Gone Girl". I read the book first because of the hype. I didn't care for that at all (I have my reasons - but a book review is best saved for Goodreads and not here ). When the movie was going to be released they said that the ending was different than in the book. How? As far as I remembered it was the same. Whether it was the same or I remember the ending differently, I didn't care for the ending in the film either. I thought it was a disappointment.

I haven't seen "Nightcrawler" yet. In fact, I have been waiting for it to arrive at the library to watch. I thought it looked pretty good when it was first out but never got a chance to see it. Since you say that you had mixed feelings about the ending, I am curious now to see how it will be.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Have you ever heard any cast recordings of "Finian's Rainbow"? They are far superior to the movie. Personally, it is one of my all-time favorites ("Phantom" is number one, actually ). I think the music is some of the most enjoyable in theater history. The problem is the WAY the songs are done. The production numbers seem a little lackluster and the vocals are kind of weak. They didn't do that musical much justice with the movie that they made.

This is a great idea to keep a log of what has been watched. I think I wouldn't do anything like this until next year, though, so that I can start off in January (and I don't really remember the exact movies that I watched this year, anyway ).

I agree that keeping a record of what I've watched is a great idea, but I can't take the credit for it. I'm just one of the many followers here who decided to copy the idea from someone else. I think it was actually Rhys who started it last year when he posted a "One Movie a Day" thread. We all thought it was a great idea and copied him.

Also, just to let you know, I'm not a very good reviewer because my reviews are very short and generic. (I'm not much of a writer.) However, there are some excellent reviewers here on Movie Forums, so keep reading more threads and I'm sure that you'll find some terrific threads here filled with great reviews.

Also, just to let you know, I'm not a very good reviewer because my reviews are very short and generic. (I'm not much of a writer.) However, there are some excellent reviewers here on Movie Forums, so keep reading more threads and I'm sure that you'll find some terrific threads here filled with great reviews.
I enjoy your reviews! Short and sweet!

Have you ever heard any cast recordings of "Finian's Rainbow"? They are far superior to the movie. Personally, it is one of my all-time favorites ("Phantom" is number one, actually ). I think the music is some of the most enjoyable in theater history. The problem is the WAY the songs are done. The production numbers seem a little lackluster and the vocals are kind of weak. They didn't do that musical much justice with the movie that they made.

No, I haven't heard any cast recordings of "Finian's Rainbow", but if I check my parents record collection, I'm sure they have it. (They seem to have everything when it comes to musicals, and believe it or not, I still have a working record player. )

"Phantom" is one of my favorites too. I saw it on Broadway very early in its run with Michael Crawford as The Phantom. He was amazing in it. I wish PBS had done a recording of it for TV.