Avengers: Age of Ultron

→ in
Tools    

Seanc... do you read Marvel Comics at all?? They will bring him back for some X-men film.. .thats the thing about Marvel Universe.. people die and come back all the time... .heck some of my favorite characters had been killed off many many times.. like Jean Grey

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Seanc... do you read Marvel Comics at all?? They will bring him back for some X-men film.. .thats the thing about Marvel Universe.. people die and come back all the time... .heck some of my favorite characters had been killed off many many times.. like Jean Grey
No, never even read comics as a kid. The last few years have been a brave new world for me. I mostly enjoy it though. Fun movies and my youngest really likes them so that is something we can share. I haven't shown him Batman yet which is my favorite, probably soon.

No, never even read comics as a kid. The last few years have been a brave new world for me. I mostly enjoy it though. Fun movies and my youngest really likes them so that is something we can share. I haven't shown him Batman yet which is my favorite, probably soon.
Oh gosh dont get me started on the new Batman.. he will ruin it like he did Daredevil..

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I loved Nolan's Batman. I generally consider him my fave comic character though. '89 Batman was the first comic book movie I ever loved.

I heard that the reason that Joss Whedon wont direct anymore Marvel films.. is because he's directing the new "Firefly" movie... with the original cast... f*ck yeah!
Actually not quite. No one has talked to Firefly Writer/Producer Tim Minear about it. And Joss and Minear discussed at some point some kind of spinoff, but that was maybe eight years ago. And a chance to bring it back has seriously died away. The ONLY way it has came back is Nathan Fillion voicing his lead character of Malcolm Reynolds, captain of the Serenity for for Firefly Online

Whedon’s brother and sister-in-law are still working away on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (which just earned a spinoff) and while Whedon says he might not be fully out of the Marvel picture quite yet, (maybe he can write or executive produce other projects), he has plans to do something else entirely.

There's at least one person out there who agrees with me.

From the article:

The storytelling has no natural rhythm, no supple arc. Whedon moves from one episodic chunk to the next with barely a breath in between. Because everything has so much dramatic weight, there’s never anything at stake. And like nearly all action scenes today, those in Age of Ultron are designed and shot to be chaotic, seemingly to make us feel we’re in the middle of the action instead of just watching it. In other words, it’s immersive!
It's worth reading the entire article, even if you enjoyed the film.

It also reminded me that I'd really like to see the cut of the film Whedon would have made. I read somewhere in the Age of Ultron thread in the upcoming forums that there's a 3-hour cut of the film that may be released on home video. That I'd love to see.

Yet another movie where I'm more intelligent than all the brilliant scientific geniuses.

WARNING: "battle tactics" spoilers below
This ultron dude is a robot. It doesn't matter how tough his armor is, if you hit him with an EMP he will die.

Welcome to the human race...
Yet another movie where I'm more intelligent than all the brilliant scientific geniuses.

This ultron dude is a robot. It doesn't matter how tough his armor is, if you hit him with an EMP he will die.
Which leads to the question of whether or not

WARNING: "AoU" spoilers below
Ultron being the result of Tony's attempts to harness the power of Loki's sceptre means there's some sort of higher science/magic going on that might possibly negate the effects of a regular EMP - but since they don't at least show them attempting an EMP, you do have a point.

Dude, you don't even need that. They have Thor, the God of Thunder! Have you ever seen an electrical transformer get struck by lightning? Why doesn't Thor just summon up the worlds biggest lightning bolt? In fact, couldn't he just end every battle that way? Why does he have all those other lame-ass Avengers holding him back?

Which leads to the question of whether or not

WARNING: "AoU" spoilers below
Ultron being the result of Tony's attempts to harness the power of Loki's sceptre means there's some sort of higher science/magic going on that might possibly negate the effects of a regular EMP - but since they don't at least show them attempting an EMP, you do have a point.
WARNING: "my thoughts" spoilers below
The only thing that was making Loki's sceptre what it was, as far as power, was the infinity mind stone. That was the source of its energy. As far as Thor's thunderbolt, I doubt it would have done anything to it. The six infinity stones are pretty indestructible.

WARNING: "my thoughts" spoilers below
The only thing that was making Loki's sceptre what it was, as far as power, was the infinity mind stone. That was the source of its energy. As far as Thor's thunderbolt, I doubt it would have done anything to it. The six infinity stones are pretty indestructible.
The in infinity gem was in

WARNING: "Like you can spoiler this movie..." spoilers below
Vision's head. Lightning...

Avengers: Age of Ultron

The latest chapter of Avengers, “Age of Ultron” wasn’t exactly my choice, but what the heck. You might guess that it’s fast and loud. I don’t think any cut in the movie lasts more than 10 seconds and no sentence is longer than 5 words. So what happens? In this one, Tony Stark is working with artificial intelligence and accidentally creates one that gets loose. Yet another variation on the Frankenstein theme, a reminder of Ex Machina, only with superheros instead of thought process. The action epic was written and directed by Joss Whedon, an admitted serious workaholic. My last experience with Whedon was his delightful Much Ado About Nothing, a low-budget, black and white adaptation of The Bard, filmed in his house. Nothing could possibly be more different than Ultron.

I don’t know that you exactly need a plot synopsis, but suffice to say, Ultron is a huge threat, wants to cleanse the world of its humans. The task of stopping Ultron rests with the Avengers, who spend the next two hours, smashing up stuff, fighting Ultron and eventually saving the world. Iron Man/Tony Stark (Robert Downey), The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johannson), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) but no Loki, are a precarious team, especially considering that it was Tony Stark that started this whole mess. In this episode we see more of Hawkeye than in the past and find out a little about his other life, but otherwise, there’s not much development of the characters, not that I would actually expect that. We also see a new candidate for Avenger, Elizabeth Olson, who is Scarlet Witch, who can warp reality with a red mist and who sorta joins the team after the death of her brother. There are also small roles for Don Cheadle and Sam Jackson (returning as Nick Fury) and the inevitable cameo for Stan Lee.

So, having gone in unenthusiastic, did I like it? The answer is a qualified yes. There’s not much sense in expecting character, dialog or plot development in a movie that’s mainly about shooting up stuff with big weapons, smashing buildings and engaging in superhero combat, so that’s off the list of considerations. As for acting, in a movie that’s mainly composed of digital action, punctuated by quick quips (the sort of thing that Robert Downey usually considers acting), there’s not much sense in thinking about that. Actually, my favorite performance was the actor you never see, James Spader, whose voice and motion capture are digitized as Ultron. So, having dispensed with acting, that leaves the action and the special effects. They were quite good, with good imagery, smooth motion. Joss Whedon must be some sort of maniac, to have directed and assembled so many short cuts into a movie that makes at least some sense. As I mentioned, he’s a serious workaholic and his attention to detail is apparent in the fact that all of this action, smashing and crashing has any coherence at all. If you’re 13, this stuff is probably just about right. Being a few years past that, I did appreciate all the work that went into making the movie work. When the credits roll, if you watch, you see the names of about a thousand digital FX people and they seem to be the other stars of this movie. Every 5 seconds of action, every explosion, every passing hovercraft and every single move of Ultron had to be painstakingly animated by people using software to render the director’s intentions into a tiny piece of action that pleases this movie’s fans. It’s much more of a techie achievement than a cinematic one, but it’s OK….good entertainment if you’re in the right mood.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I LOLed at the post in this thread that said "spoiler free review." If you've seen one 30-second commercial for this film you can figure out the entire plot. This was literally the least surprising film I've seen in a while.

It had the exact same plot as both Thor 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy. Good guys have infinity gem. Infinity gem does some goofy stuff. Bad guy gets infinity gem and tries to use it to destroy the world/universe. Good guys get it back and save the day. I walk away entertained but utterly empty.

This may be the last Marvel film I see in the theater. I just can't justify the cost of a ticket price to watch the same damn thing over and over. They refuse to take any chances with either story structure or with genuine stakes and it's getting tiresome. They won't kill any of the main heroes because they want to milk this cash cow indefinitely and you know the heroes will win in the end because they can't blow up the whole world so these films have absolutely no emotional stakes and no substance. The Avengers is the film equivalent of cotton candy.

How long will the superhero kick last? I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm just about done with it. I'll be bootlegging the rest of these movies.

2 and 1/2 little popcorn buckets or whatever that thing is you all love to do.
Basically this.

Annoying at the start how the Avengers are just all together in the middle of some battle, like when did they all come together again?

Middle was reasonably entertaining with Hulk vs Hulk Buster.

Then the ending, looks here's Thor smashing Ultron robots and saving people, now cut to Hulk smashing robots and saving people, oh look there's Captain America smashing robots and saving people and on and on and on. Then it's like "look, now I've assembled all my robots for you to smash". Like 20 minutes at the end of robot smashing.

My last trip to watch Marvel generic repetitive throwaway movies too. Iron Man 2008 was the best, with probably Thor and Avengers 1 not far behind, but the rest have been ok at best.

Don't worry, Gandalf and I and Entertainment Weekly are all getting tired of the same old dull routine.

"Each time out everything is at stake and nothing is at stake. Someone wants to destroy the world, but none of our heroes are ever in any jeopardy. With sequels already lined up for the next decade, how much danger could any of them be in? They're too valuable to the bottom line. And where's the excitement in that?" -Chris Nashawaty at EW

I'm honestly surprised we are in such a minority. Are none of you seriously tired of watching virtually the same story over and over?

Just saw it, it was pretty good. I've never been a huge comic book movie fan but I do enjoy most of them. This was a mega-budget blockbuster that tried to be as entertaining as possible, chaotic fight scenes with big explosions and destruction were everywhere. When there was no fighting on-screen, every other line of dialogue attempted to make the audience laugh. It did succeed in being entertaining though, and of course there's probably gonna be at least 3 more sequels...

We didn't see it in 3D. I hate having reality intrude on a fantasy movie, but part of why we went was, in the wake of the problems in Baltimore, we wanted to get dinner and a movie in town rather than driving out to the 'burbs and the mega-plex...sort of a small piece of "take back the streets". The in-town, non-corporate theater we picked was not 3D but had food in the same block, a like-minded crowd and a schedule that was moved up so we could comply with the 10 PM curfew. I'm not a big liker of 3D anyway, since it usually results in dim, indistinct images, but maybe next time.

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick
It had the exact same plot as both Thor 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Not really...

Thor 2 : In ancient times, the gods of Asgard fought and won a war against an evil race known as the Dark Elves. The survivors were neutralized, and their ultimate weapon -- the Aether -- was buried in a secret location. Hundreds of years later, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) finds the Aether and becomes its host, forcing Thor (Chris Hemsworth) to bring her to Asgard before Dark Elf Malekith (Christopher Eccleston) captures her and uses the weapon to destroy the Nine Realms -- including Earth.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Brash space adventurer Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) finds himself the quarry of relentless bounty hunters after he steals an orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain. To evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with four disparate misfits: gun-toting Rocket Raccoon, treelike-humanoid Groot, enigmatic Gamora, and vengeance-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when he discovers the orb's true power and the cosmic threat it poses, Quill must rally his ragtag group to save the universe.

Avengers: Age of Ultron: When Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) jumpstarts a dormant peacekeeping program, things go terribly awry, forcing him, Thor (Chris Hemsworth), the Incredible Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) and the rest of the Avengers to reassemble. As the fate of Earth hangs in the balance, the team is put to the ultimate test as they battle Ultron (James Spader), a technological terror hell-bent on human extinction. Along the way, they encounter two mysterious and powerful newcomers, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff.

They refuse to take any chances with either story structure or with genuine stakes and it's getting tiresome. They won't kill any of the main heroes because they want to milk this cash cow indefinitely and you know the heroes will win in the end because they can't blow up the whole world so these films have absolutely no emotional stakes and no substance.
If you aren't truly a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) fan and don't get it all, why bother even going to see Avengers: Age of Ultron? Obviously they won't kill any "main" character in this because there's an actual based storyline within the entire MCU.

No emotional stakes? No substance??

Tony Stark - The loss of his father prompted him to build the Iron Man armor...therefore without Iron Man we wouldn't have had one of the leading technological people involved within Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Steve Rogers - He lost Peggy Carter in the '40's when he had his plane accident, crashing and 'time travelling' to modern day society. He still hurts to this day, fighting for his country as a soldier of war for his country as one of The Avengers.

Bruce Banner - He has serious emotional problems well... being angry and turning green. Thanks to the rest of his friends in The Avengers, he uses it for good to fight the bad guys.

Natasha Romanoff - She was orphaned as a child when she was trapped in a burning building during an early attack by enemy forces. A Soviet soldier, found Natasha in the inferno and rescued her. She had attracted the attention of Soviet intelligence, which began her training. Natasha was eventually recruited to become part of the Black Widow Program, a team of elite female sleeper agents. Natasha studied as a ballerina to cover for her true occupation. (All briefly glimpsed in the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer and seen in the film)

Clint Barton - Has what's known as temper and ego problems. Which will eventually lead to a leave of absence forced upon him. When, due to a type of "affirmative action", he will then be replaced by the Falcon to comply with the Avengers' sanctioning of a new team.

Thor - As Lord of Asgard, he goes through so many emotional situations it's incredible. Falling in love with Jane Foster and disobeying his Father, his father dying, Loki almost dying, all while trying to be a protector of Earth. And...being an Avenger.

Plus....in the film Age of Ultron there's a big emotional status quo between Bruce and Natasha.

The Avengers is the film equivalent of cotton candy.
Sweet indeed yes, and the movie I'm sure tends to stick in your mind like glue.

I'll be bootlegging the rest of these movies.
Good luck.