GBGoodies 2015 Movie Logbook

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Don't, I'm not going to join that Hall of Fame. I don't like most of the classic musicals; no need for me to crap on a bunch of other's favorites.
Thanks. I haven't decided on my nom for the musical HoF yet, but I'll keep it on my list of choices. It's a pretty long movie so I might decide against it just because of the length of the movie, but it's a great movie. so I don't want to write it off because of that either.

I really liked They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, but I thought it was flawed. It's definitely interesting, unique, and worth watching.
I agree that They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is worth watching, but it's a bit depressing too, so it's not easy to watch.

My Darling Clementine (1946) - I haven't watched a lot of westerns, but this movie is supposed to be one of the better westerns, so when it aired on a local cable movie channel a few days ago, it seemed like a good opportunity to give it a try.

This movie tells the story of Wyatt Earp and the events leading up to the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. While not historically accurate, it's a great story with a lot of action and tension. Henry Fonda is great as Wyatt Earp.

I'm not sure why the movie is titled "My Darling Clementine", as Clementine is probably the least interesting character in the movie, but this is a great movie, and I highly recommend it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	My-Darling-Clementine-1946-wide.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	20629  

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - I watched this movie because it was nominated for a few of the MoFo Movie Awards, so I wanted to re-watch it before submitting my votes.

This movie is an exciting space adventure with some fun characters. I don't know what it is about this movie, but it reminds me of the first time I watched Star Wars. It just feels like it's a future classic. This is a very funny movie. I loved the way the characters interacted with each other.

The movie features a talented cast including a breakout performance by Chris Pratt. The special effects were amazing. I enjoyed this movie on the second watch even more than the first time that I watched it.

Attachments

Name:	Guardians of the Galaxy-2014.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	20630  

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - I watched this movie because it was nominated for the Best Animated Film in the MoFo Movie Awards, so I wanted to watch it before submitting my votes.

This movie is a lot darker than the first movie. The young characters have matured, and so has the subject matter of the movie. This is a very good movie, and the animation is terrific, but I think the movie is a bit overrated.

I like the relationship between Hiccup and his dragon Toothless, but I found the whole plot about his long-lost mother a bit unbelievable, and I thought the villain was kind of weak. There were some great moments in the movie, and some sad scenes, but overall, I liked the first How to Train Your Dragon movie better than the sequel.

Attachments

Name:	How to Train Your Dragon 2-2014-poster.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	20631  

Dominick and Eugene (1988) - I watched this movie because it was recommended by Mark F for Ray Liotta's performance when I mentioned that I've never been a fan of Ray Liotta, and Sexy Celebrity named it in his "Another 100 Movies I Love in No Particular Damn Order" thread.

This is a very good movie about twin brothers, Dominick and Eugene. Dominick, (Tom Hulce), is mentally disabled due to an accident when he was younger, and Eugene, (Ray Liotta), is studying to become a doctor and he takes care of his brother.

This is a very emotional tearjerker with some very powerful scenes. The acting is great. I've never been a big fan of Ray Liotta, but he does a great job in this movie, and Tom Hulce is terrific in an Oscar-worthy performance.

Thank You to Mark F and Sexy Celebrity for a great recommendation.
+
Attachments

Name:	Dominick and Eugene-1988.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	20632  

Fried Green Tomatoes (1991) - This movie has been on my watchlist for a long time, so when it aired on a local cable movie channel recently, I decided that it was about time that I finally watch it.

This movie is a story within a story movie about the friendship between Ninny Threadgoode, (Jessica Tandy), an elderly lady at a nursing home, and Evelyn Couch, (Kathy Bates), a middle-aged unhappy housewife. The movie switches back and forth between the story that Ninny is telling to Evelyn and the growing friendship between the two women.

The story about the past is the best part of the movie. It's a nice blend of friendship and mystery, with some tragedy and some humor. It's an emotional story that will hold your attention to the very end. It's not perfect, but it's very good.

The acting in ths movie is top-notch. Everyone in the movie was terrific. The ending was good, but it was a bit ambiguous, and it left me with some unanswered questions. Overall, this is a very good movie, and I would definitely recommend it.

Attachments

Name:	Fried Green Tomatoes-1991.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	20633  

The April Fools (1969) - I watched this movie for the upcoming 1960s movies list. I had never heard of this movie before, but it stars Jack Lemmon, so that was enough for me to give it a chance.

This movie is a romantic comedy about a man in an unhappy marriage, (Jack Lemmon), who meets a woman in an unhappy marriage, (Catherine Deneuve), and they fall in love. However he doesn't know that the woman's husband is his boss.

This is a great movie that has a sixties feel to it, especially the dance club and the music. Even the restaurant that he takes her to is fun in a strange way. It's called The Safari Club, and it's kind of like Rainforest Cafe meets Hooters.

Jack Lemmon and Catherine Deneuve both give great performances, and they have great chemistry together. It makes you want to see them to end up together. The supporting cast includes Peter Lawford, Sally Kellerman, Harvey Korman, Jack Weston and Charles Boyer.

This movie isn't Jack Lemmon's best movie, but it's a lot of fun.

Attachments

Name:	The April Fools-1969.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	20634  

Penelope (1966) - I watched this movie for the upcoming 1960s movies list. It was recommended by Gideon58 as a "Guilty Pleasure Movie", and it stars Natalie Wood and Peter Falk, so it sounded like it could be my kind of movie.

Penelope Elcott, (Natalie Wood), is the wife of a banker, (Ian Bannen), but she is also a kleptomaniac. She decides to put on a disguise and rob her husband's bank. We find out more about Penelope when she visits her psychiatrist, Gregory (Dick Shawn), and tells him how she became a kleptomaniac.

I can see why this would be considered a "guilty pleasure" movie. It's a very cute movie, but the acting is a bit over-the-top, but in a good way. The movie is a lot of fun with some very witty dialogue. Natalie Wood is very good in this comedy, and Peter Falk gives a great performance as Lieutenant Bixbee, a character who is basically an early version of Lt. Columbo.

This movie is kind of silly, so don't expect greatness, but it's very entertaining. Thank You Gideon58 for this great recommendation.

Attachments

Name:	Penelope-1966.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	20635  

GBGoodies, you want a great emotional film, watch "Lorenzo's Oil" with Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon. Its a film that I watched once and to even think of the premise makes me very sad.... it is about a family's search to find a cure for Adrenoleukodystrophy, also known as, ALD. I can understand these parent's plight because I, myself, struggle with a child that has a form of Muscular Dystrophy, that is not curable. All I can say about this film is, have several boxes of tissues beside you when you watch.

I love Dragon 2; I had it at #2 on my animation list, and the 1st one was my #4.

Oh yea, Ray Liotta rules and don't ever forget it!

I liked both How to Train Your Dragon movies, but I don't think either would make my top ten animated movies. But I love animated movies, so that's a tough list for a movie to make it into my top ten.

I have nothing against Ray Liotta. I think he's a good actor, but I think he has pretty poor taste in choosing his movies. He's done a few good movies, but most of his movies aren't very good.

GBGoodies, you want a great emotional film, watch "Lorenzo's Oil" with Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon. Its a film that I watched once and to even think of the premise makes me very sad.... it is about a family's search to find a cure for Adrenoleukodystrophy, also known as, ALD. I can understand these parent's plight because I, myself, struggle with a child that has a form of Muscular Dystrophy, that is not curable. All I can say about this film is, have several boxes of tissues beside you when you watch.

I've heard of Lorenzo's Oil, but I've never seen it. But it sounds like my kind of movie, so I'll look for it.

I read the description, and it sounds a bit like Extraordinary Measures with Brendan Fraser and Harrison Ford, where the father has to find a cure for his daughter's disease.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
I enjoyed this movie on the second watch even more than the first time that I watched it.

This was such a fun movie... one of my favorites in 2014. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I want to watch it again at some point but I have a feeling my TV won't do it justice.

My favorite part

watch "Lorenzo's Oil" with Nick Nolte and Susan Sarandon. ... All I can say about this film is, have several boxes of tissues beside you when you watch.
Wow. And Mr. Minio thinks he's kinky!

This was such a fun movie... one of my favorites in 2014. I saw it when it came out in theaters and I want to watch it again at some point but I have a feeling my TV won't do it justice.

My favorite part

I was in a store today (either CVS or Duane Reade, I don't remember which one), and I saw this and thought you might like it. Unfortunately my cell phone won't record video, but when you push the button, he dances.

Attachments

Name:	Dancing-Groot.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	20655  

Shrink (2009) - I watched this movie because it aired on Showtime recently, and it stars Kevin Spacey.

This is one of the few Kevin Spacey movies that I didn't like. I found it kind of boring and depressing. There were some good scenes, and a few funny lines, but overall, the movie was basically a waste of time.

Kevin Spacey does a good job as always, but there just wasn't much of a script to work with here. It has a good ensemble cast, including a small uncredited role by Robin Williams.

Attachments

Name:	Shrink-2009-wide.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	20656  

Saboteur (1942) - I watched this movie because it's an Alfred Hitchcock movie that I haven't seen in many years, and it aired on Turner Classic Movies recently, so it seemed like a good time to re-watch it.

This movie doesn't have the big name cast of some of Hitchcock's other movies, but it's still a great movie. It has some great action and some very tense scenes. The scenes with Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane are some of the best scenes because you never know if she believes him or if she's planning to turn him in to the police. And it has a great ending at the Statue of Liberty that's reminiscent of the ending of another Hitchcock masterpiece, North by Northwest.

Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane are great in this movie, and Norman Lloyd's performance is superb. He's fantastic as the Fry, evil villain.

+
Attachments

Name:	Saboteur-1942-poster.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	20657  

Clerks (1994) and Clerks II (2006) - I watched these movies because Sexy Celebrity named one of them in his "Another 100 Movies I Love in No Particular Damn Order" thread, and I recognized one of the actors, (Brian O'Halloran), from the local comic conventions. Several people recommended both of these movies, so I watched them both.

I don't get the appeal of these movies. There are a few funny lines, and when they talk about comics and science fiction the movies started to get interesting, but overall, the movies aren't funny, and the acting is terrible.

The so-called plot in the first movie makes no sense. The store clerk comes in on his day off, and then he closes the store for some ridiculous reasons. He listens to his idiot friend Randal, who has no sense of responsibility and gives him terrible advice. Jay and Silent Bob are two of the dumbest characters I've ever seen in a movie, and I can't figure out why anyone thinks that they're funny.

The second movie seemed to at least have a little bit of a plot, but Jay and Silent Bob were even worse in the second movie, especially Jay, who was so obscene that I nearly turned off the movie. There were a few new characters, but the acting was still terrible, and the movie was still pretty stupid.

Clerks (1994)

Clerks II (2006)
Attachments

Name:	Clerks-1994.jpg
Views:	1226
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	20659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clerks II-2006.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	20660