Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Whiplash - 6/10 (I give it an extra point because it's about drums)

Didn't like most of the acting except for the State Farm guy. I would have seen this earlier if I knew it was about drums. I did like when he mentioned how sad it was to hear jazz at Starbucks. I disagree with his methods, but I think the key of life is to aspire as high as you can in what you want to do. Let the work speak for itself, and if you're proud of your stuff, everything else is bonus.

Not currently on fire...

The Admiral (2008) - Russian war film about Admiral Alexander Kolchak who lead the White Russian forces during the civil war from 1918-20. The production was actually an eight hour mini-series, compressed into two hour film length so it does feel very brisk, but manages a nice balance between war story and romance. Could have used a little more time to breathe, but still highly enjoyable.

3.5/5

L'Avventura (1960) - Michelangelo Antonioni

A brilliant film whichever way you see it...grim and dark, much in the line of La Dole Vita they say, this is actually a better one...reminds me of that line, "The center doesn't hold and things fall apart".

A certainty in my 60s list

9 out of 10

Greatest Sidekick Ever
Pan's Labyrinth- (2006) (Guillermo Del Toro)

A very wonderful film that examines realism combined with pure authentic fantasy. Also has great visuals and very realistic make up within it's surreal creatures. Truly one of the best fantasy films of all time and one of the best movies the decade has to offer.

8/10 Meths

Cleo From 5 to 7 (1962) - Agnes Varda

Lovely lovely film...was glued to the screen from the beginning (and that too there is no such story or development)...each and every frame is perfectly framed...perfectly scripted and acted out and a vibrant, touchable Paris never seen before in movies...that 60s thing is relly getting tough now...

9 out of 10

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Wild Bunch (1969)

It's hard to talk about this movie! It's supposed to be one of the greatest american westerns of all time, but it left me with some mixed feelings!
The first two hours have some terrible pacing issues! There are some great scenes and the soundtrack is really cool, but it seems that it lacks some connection... Also, the uncontrolled laughing is annoying!
However, in the last 20 minutes there is one the most amazing battle sequences I remember watching in a western and it ends beautifully, which really makes up for the rest of the movie! Overall it was a good watch though I don't think it will be on my 60s list!

-

Gutterballs (2008)

Extreme gore, graphic nudity, brutal rape, and more swearing than any other scripted movie ever made. It has an 80's vibe, but it pushes the limits. 3 different people get bowling pins shoved into 3 different places. The bad acting and dialogue reminded me of The Toxic Avenger. This is a bad movie, but it does have value for fans of exploitation horror.

The Swimmer (1968)

I didn't really know anything about this, but for some reason I thought it was supposed to be an uplifting movie. It seemed that way at the start too, until the little hints started to come. Burt Lancaster is great in this, and his character's revelations and transformation is fascinating, and ultimately sad. A very good, original movie.

FIVE EASY PIECES
(1970)

Watched the film standing on my chair with my baseball glove, dancing during Jack's piano playing. I think about this sometimes, why don't people do more weird stuff while they're watching their screen. Like put their chair on top of a table or a tall dresser and watch from high up from a new angle like a throne. Try it sometimes, it's fun. Oh right, the movie, couldn't have been better. Jack, err Bobby, works on oil rigs and forklifts, moving from bars to motels as suits him, plays piano on the back of a random truck during traffic. Almost fell off my chair dancing towards the end when the pompous lady was talking all the philosophical mumbo jumbo.

Rating:
9.0 / 10

Greatest Sidekick Ever
Up In The Air- (2009) (Jason Reitman)

From the man that brought us Juno comes an immensely realistic view on people's true happiness and fulfillment. It is a true biography but yet less daunting to how people suffer from common turmoils about life, career and whatnot. This film is wonderfully acted and clearly, it screams 'life' rather than 'desire'.

8.9/10 Meths

Master of My Domain
Hey cricket, there's a Gutterballs 2, if you're interested.