I hate this #OscarsSoWhite stuff

Tools    

Stuff like this bugs me. People are so up in arms about Selma not winning this/getting nominated for that, but the movie was mediocre. Really. It was another biopic that did nothing to push the medium forward, and followed just about every convention you can think of. It's fine... I'd argue inartistic/not particularly special or noteworthy. The guy's performance as MLK was fine, but he never felt like a real person to me.

No movie is entitled to anything. Don't blame the Oscars. There just aren't a ton of American made films that focus on minorities/women (which IS a real issue).

Yeah... I hate to sound like a broken record because I've said this in other threads but I HATE political correctness!

And for #OscarsSoWhite, JUST LAST YEAR A "BLACK" MOVIE WON BEST PICTURE!!! Of course it doesn't matter though, because people constantly use the race card to get what they want or push an agenda. It's become the ultimate first resort for them.

Diversity is great. The importance of other people, and the necessity of being around people different than you to course correct and grown and learn, is a huge part of my worldview. Partnerships are best when the people involved are different in ways that compliment one another, and you'll never have that if you're only around people like you.

But I step off the diversity train as soon as it starts taking passenger manifests. When someone gets out the checklist and just starts counting, I think they've taken a misstep somewhere.

A system of cells interlinked
Diversity is great. The importance of other people, and the necessity of being around people different than you to course correct and grown and learn, is a huge part of my worldview. Partnerships are best when the people involved are different in ways that compliment one another, and you'll never have that if you're only around people like you.

But I step off the diversity train as soon as it starts taking passenger manifests. When someone gets out the checklist and just starts counting, I think they've taken a misstep somewhere.

Fantastic post.

wanabe movie critique
Ain't funny at all.

I think diversity is an issue but that doesn't necessarily have to be racial and it certainly shouldn't become a checklist. It's like the male domination; men are more high profile and therefore more likely to get nominations.

Stuff like this bugs me. People are so up in arms about Selma not winning this/getting nominated for that, but the movie was mediocre. Really. It was another biopic that did nothing to push the medium forward, and followed just about every convention you can think of. It's fine... I'd argue inartistic/not particularly special or noteworthy. The guy's performance as MLK was fine, but he never felt like a real person to me.

No movie is entitled to anything. Don't blame the Oscars. There just aren't a ton of American made films that focus on minorities/women (which IS a real issue).
Oh that's so Feb 21st

Or did something happen today in the news?

Not currently on fire...
Ultimately, if the Academy was completely colourblind, there would still be years where the main Oscar picks were all white.

White people account for 77% of the US population, so even if there was perfect proportional representation, there would still be a considerable majority of white actors and directors in the picks.

If people really were missing out on recognition due to colour it would be shameful, but all I have seen is people jumping on the bandwagon and offering no evidence to suggest this and no solutions.

Citizen rules posted this in another thread:

---
If we look at the numbers of black actor nominees and winners vs the percentage of black Americans...what do we get? This pretty much tells the story.

At the Academy Awards in the 21st century.
10% of all acting nominees were blacks
14% of all winners were blacks
12.6% of the US population is black

Doesn't sound like the Academy Awards are racist to me.
---
Balcks are about 12.6% of the US population - yet 14% of all Oscar Winners have been black since the year 2000.

The ones using the #OscarsSoWhite" hastag are just racists and don't deserve the attention. Imagine what the reaction would have been if someone had used an #OscarsSoBlack" hastag after 12 Years a Slave won.

I think it's far more likely, and it seems to be the case from what I've heard from people who should know, both black and white, male and female, that Selma didn't get the screeners out or promote early enough. They left it far too late.

There may be 12.6% black population in the US but the Oscars can choose films from whatever country they want (although inevitably it is US-centric with a bit of UK).

The issue is more diversity in general; even with the tropes, we get the same old stuff every year. Will it be the disability, the persecuted gay man or the monarch that wins the Best Actor?

PC Oppression strikes again as everyone completely overreacts to a comment on the show Fashion Police... a show that is meant to make fun of people. This happened on the red carpet:

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...233546646.html

Even in the comment section you can see that most people know that it wasn't actually racist at all. Rancic was making a hippie joke but of course since Zendaya's biracial the PC police stormed in and started screaming "RACIST!" at everyone.