Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Not currently on fire...

Watched Bear Island (1979) last night. It is a surprisingly loose adaptation of the excellent Alistair MacLean nove, although it manages to be pretty enjoyable on its own merits, a classic thriller with some good acting from the strong cast which includes Donald Sutherland, Christopher Lee, Richard Widmark and Lloyd Bridges as well as Vanessa Redgrave although she is lumbered with a bizarre Norweigan accent.

Don Sharp's direction is beautiful with some scenic Canadian locations and a minimum of studio work. A match for Carpenter's The Thing in its capture of a real arctic setting. The Sony UK DVD is a little grainy and with some speckling but in full OAR and seems to be uncut (the UK VHS release was inexplicably missing some ten minutes).

My complete review with pictures - Bear Island.

The Virgin Spring (1960)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Not currently on fire...
I need to watch that, picked it up on DVD years ago to compare with Last House on the Left, but never gotten around to watching either. Shamefully I don't know Bergman too well, is it a typical film of his?

I need to watch that, picked it up on DVD years ago to compare with Last House on the Left, but never gotten around to watching either. Shamefully I don't know Bergman too well, is it a typical film of his?
I've only seen like 8 of his movies so far, but I didn't think it was typical at all.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning - 4/10

Looking back on it now, while it isthe first bad movie of the series, I can't help but appreciated what it was trying to do: a Friday the 13th without Jason. It returns to the original film's largely first person kills and central mystery of who the killer actually was. It pulls both of these off better than the original, plus features some of the more intense death sequences in the series thus far. That being said, however, the film's pretty much a mess, with the most incessantly obnoxious characters in the entire franchise. Although I appreciated what it was trying to do, it never really came together like other filma in the franchise did.

Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI - 6.5/10

I keep alternating between giving this one a 6.5 and a 7. Either way, this is unquestionably the best film of the series. Keeping Tommy as the protagonist made it feel more significant than a random stand-alone film would have. The atmosphere was pervasively dark and menacing, the kills were consistently great and having the camp filled to the brim with children really upped the ante from the previous films. Although a tad questionable, the climax was satisfyingly cool and a fitting close to Tommy's troubled story.

Whiplash

Finally watched this movie and wow loved this movie, J K Simmons is such an ass! I actually preferred this over Birdman as movie of the year. I am not sure if this is what it is like trying to get fist spot in a competition band but it was interesting to me. I especially liked the ending as it was all about spite for both characters and it was intense.

4.5/5 Stars

Whiplash

Finally watched this movie and wow loved this movie, J K Simmons is such an ass!

Not sure if that is a compliment or if you really think JK Simmons is an "ass"

Not sure if that is a compliment or if you really think JK Simmons is an "ass"
Sorry in the movie he was an ass I am sure he is very pleasant in person

Sorry in the movie he was an ass I am sure he is very pleasant in person
He always plays an ass in Movies/TV. J.Jonah Jameson, Nazi Rapist from Oz, he was even quite an ass to Michael Cera in Juno .

He's done a whole series of really stupid commercials. His "character" in them isn't really an ass, but they're really stupid. Also just caught a clip of him on Oz, and damn that character is definitely an ass.