The MoFo Top 100 of the Sixties

→ in
Tools    

Point Blank is an awesome film! Glad you liked it, Daniel.

I just watched a '60s Oscar Winner:

Great songs, fantastic acting, beautiful sets and razor sharp dialogues that serve a story that is much more sophisticated and thematically interesting than you'd think at first (the genius of George Bernard Shaw).

And here's a list of all fifty Best Picture Oscar nominees for the decade, with the winner listed first and in boldface type...

1960s BEST PICTURE WINNERS/NOMINEES

The Apartment
The Alamo
Elmer Gantry
Sons and Lovers
The Sundowners

West Side Story
Fanny
The Guns of Navarone
The Hustler
Judgment at Nuremberg

Lawrence of Arabia
The Longest Day
The Music Man
Mutiny on the Bounty
To Kill A Mockingbird

Tom Jones
America, America
Cleopatra
How the West Was Won
Lilies of the Field

My Fair Lady
Becket
Dr. Strangelove
Mary Poppins
Zorba the Greek

The Sound of Music
Darling
Doctor Zhivago
Ship of Fools
A Thousand Clowns

A Man for All Season
Alfie
The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!
The Sand Pebbles
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

In the Heat of the Night
Bonnie & Clyde
Doctor Doolittle
The Graduate
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?

Oliver!
Funny Girl
The Lion in Winter
Rachel, Rachel
Romeo & Juliet

Midnight Cowboy
Anne of the Thousand Days
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Hello, Dolly!
Z

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	best pics.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	19865  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And here are the 1960s titles from Roger Ebert's Great Movies list. You can find his full reviews for each one on his site.

An Autumn Afternoon
The Apartment
Army of Shadows
Au Hasard Balthazar
The Battle of Algiers
Belle de Jour
Blow-Up
Bonnie & Clyde
Breathless
Chimes at Midnight
Cléo from 5 to 7
Cool Hand Luke
Dr. Strangelove
Easy Rider

Exterminating Angel
The Firemen’s Ball
Goldfinger
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Harakiri
A Hard Day’s Night
The Hustler
In Cold Blood
Inherit the Wind
Jules & Jim
Juliet of the Spirits
La Collectionneuse
La Dolce Vita
L'Avventura
Last Year at Marienbad
Lawrence of Arabia
Le Samouraï
Leon Morin, Priest
The Leopard
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Manchurian Candidate
Pale Flower
Peeping Tom
Persona
Playtime
The Producers
Psycho
Red Beard
Rocco and His Brothers
Romeo & Juliet
Samurai Rebellion
The Silence
Through a Glass Darkly
2001: A Space Odyssey
Victim
Viridiana
Vivra sa Vie
West Side Story
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
The Wild Bunch
Winter Light
Woman in the Dunes
Yellow Submarine
Yojimbo

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebert.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	19867  

BFI write up on British films of the 1960s

and if you're interested in social realism or the British New Wave, then these are the key films (I've just included the first two from the 50s for background)

Room at the Top (1959): Dir Jack Clayton

Look Back in Anger (1959): Dir Tony Richardson

Saturday Night Sunday Morning (1960) Dir Karel Reisz

Taste of Honey (1961): Dir Tony Richardson

The L Shaped Room (1962) Dir Bryan Forbes

A Kind of Loving (1962): Dir John Schlesinger

Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962): Dir Tony Richardson

This Sporting Life (1963): Dir Lindsay Anderson

Billy Liar (1963): Dir John Schlesinger

Does the 60s look better than 70s or is that just me? Judging from the movies that have been listed here at least... it's hard to even decide what to watch first

The 60s are way better than the 70s. It's a well known fact.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Does the 60s look better than 70s or is that just me? Judging from the movies that have been listed here at least... it's hard to even decide what to watch first
They kind of go hand in hand. The 60s seems more diverse in terms of world cinema and different movements, then the USA really seemed to benefit from that and made a number of masterpieces in the next decade.

But yeah, so many great films to choose from

Just you..,. And Harry, apparently, but he doesn't count. So, yeah, just you.

I think the crop of international cinema is stronger in the '60s than the '70s, but that the American stuff is much more interesting in the '70s, in total. On balance, I like the 1970s more, myself, but the '30s through the '70s was all just pretty damn wonderful and there's so much to discover.

Some more of my favourite directors and their best from the 60s:

Stanley Kubrick

2001: A Space Odyssey

Lolita
+

Spartacus
-

William Wyler

The Collector

How to Steal a Million

Hiroshi Teshigahara

The Face of Another
-

Woman in the Dunes
-

Pitfall

Milos Forman

Loves of a Blonde

Ingmar Bergman

Persona

The Virgin Spring

Winter Light

Hour of the Wolf
+

Through a Glass Darkly

Shame

Lord High Filmquisitor
I have to give a special shout out to Kwaidan in this decade from 1964.

I've watched a few great films recently, and I'll post about them soon, but I feel like I really, really need to post about this one.

Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)

This film is a miracle. I was trying to work out in my head how to start my post, and I came to the conclusion that anything less would be an understatement. How on earth did Tati manage to construct such magnificent sets, to get buildings perfectly designed for his world? Everything is meticulously planned to perfection, the amount of cars, costumes, people themselves. It's absolutely mental how precise everything is and how well it comes together, perfectly choreographed.

The title is fitting for a film of organised chaos. It feels like Tati is sitting with a soundboard or similar device, pressing little buttons that set off lights and such in different objects - just like at the start of the film where he receptionist (?) makes a call to an office via pressing a combination of buttons that make different sounds and illuminate different lights.

The flawless design results in hundreds of extremely clever visual gags as well as physical ones from the characters involved. I feel bad watching the film at home on my TV. I know Tati insisted on the film only being shown in cinemas that supported 70mm and the sound system he wanted, and it is easy to see why. There are so many details and jokes packed into every frame, it is impossible to see everything that is going on. I felt delighted when I spotted different things such as reoccurring characters and jokes. I want to watch this film again already, and I can feel this becoming one of my all time favourite films that I will watch over and over again, spotting delightful new things every time. There are so many unique and hilarious characters throughout, and if I was to list individual moments, scenes, gags, I could be here forever. Tati directs and acts like a silent film star, he seems like the next step on from Buster Keaton. Here, the dialogue is secondary to the action and blend of all the other elements. The camera is carefully placed to often tricked us, sometimes walls or gaps between them are not visible to us, so actions are not always what they seem.

That's not to mention the films messages and what it aims to critique and laugh at. It is obvious to anyone that Tati is satirising the evolution of technology and modern day life and gadgets. His character gets lots in a confusing maze that scarily resembles what modern offices now look like, if his character moves to one place, his destination will move to another, he's unable to keep up with what's going on. I liked the commentary on Paris, on France. In one noticeable visual trick, the Eiffel tower can be seen as a mere reflection on a glass of a modern business building. The Paris that tourists are coming to see is not that of dreams, but instead a bleak, grey, modernistic world filled with machines. The film seems to undergo some sort of evolution in this sense, what starts of as characters lost in a world, the second half seems to bring them together, things go wrong but friendship goes stronger. Then in the famous final roundabout scene we see significant colours of red, white and blue, just like the opening credits (that are focussed on the sky, before dropping down to the grey city), as the music plays.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'll be one of those people placing it very high on my list . I think Playtime is a perfect film. I used to think it was a marvel, but philosophically I was opposed to it being such a harsh criticism of modernity. After seeing it a couple more times, I realized that while it opposes many aspects of then modern life, Playtime also turns out to be very optimistic. It's a film about discovering a personal as well as collective identity in a world that's indifferent to your existence. In that sense, Playime is not only an optimistic film (much more fitting to the film's comedy), but it is also a film whose moment-to-moment philosophy is enlightening and dense.

Here's a great video analyzing one of the film's many many great gags:

I don't know how much Tati you've seen Daniel, but you should see more! I rank his films as follows (with a couple unusual choice):

1. Playtime
2. Parade
3. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
4. Jour De Fete
5. Mon Oncle
6. Traffic

I'll be one of those people placing it very high on my list . I think Playtime is a perfect film. I used to think it was a marvel, but philosophically I was opposed to it being such a harsh criticism of modernity. After seeing it a couple more times, I realized that while it opposes many aspects of then modern life, Playtime also turns out to be very optimistic. It's a film about discovering a personal as well as collective identity in a world that's indifferent to your existence. In that sense, Playime is not only an optimistic film (much more fitting to the film's comedy), but it is also a film whose moment-to-moment philosophy is enlightening and dense.
As I began to watch it I was unsure whether I would like it that much as it did seem like a slightly repetitive, pessimistic critique of the modern world, and however fascinating it was, it needed a bit more for me. Then I began to notice a lot more, a plethora of details and gags, and then the second half turned it for sure. As I mentioned, the characters seem to undergo a transition where the mistakes turn out to be beneficial and people come together as friends, not the strangers they started as.

Here's a great video analyzing one of the film's many many great gags:
That was brilliant, I noticed quite a few of them, but not all. It's probably impossible on one go. That' the beauty of it, I can't wait to watch it over and over again.

I don't know how much Tati you've seen Daniel, but you should see more! I rank his films as follows (with a couple unusual choice):

1. Playtime
2. Parade
3. Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
4. Jour De Fete
5. Mon Oncle
6. Traffic
None others, but I bought a Tati Collection on Blu-ray, it has all his features and his directed/written shorts I believe, so I am going to try and watch more soon. I was going to ask you what you'd recommend next, although I might watch them chronologically. There's no way he's made six films on the scale and depth of Playtime, so I'm interested in how his comedy and character works in the other films too.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think that this will surely be the most mysterious list thus far. 51-100 could literally be anything. And there's bound to be surprises in the top 50 too. That's what makes this list have a lot to look forward to.