Is Quality Subjective?

Tools    

I was trying to be straight forward. What I was saying is, my idea of what is quality to me, is my own truth. It might not be yours or anyone else's but it's mine.
And that is why putting your ideas into your own words gets them across better than using a patented phrase.

Quality, especially in art, is very subjective. I get that using that as an out destroys critical thinking. This is frustrating to many, including me at times, even though I use it more than I should. This doesn't mean that a majority consensus can't be come to on a whole lot of things either.

As we have seen defining quality itself can be subjective. There are a few people on this site that look at film in very technical terms. Most people don't do that. Most are looking for entertainment, however that is defined by them. Something like shaky cam comes around. Some hate it some love it. Those that hate it probably don't think Tony Scott's films are quality. On a technical level he was making exactly the types of pictures he wanted. By most people's definition that is quality. Are the people that hate it wrong? I don't think so.

The fact that we are having this discussion probably proves quality is indeed subjective. There wouldn't be so many varying opinions if it wasn't.
Art is very subjective, but not completely, it still has measurable characteriatics.

You just need to seperate what people say from what is necessarily true. Then you'll see that it's only their opinions that are subjective. If something is subjective then it's based on feelings, someone says a movie sucked because they enjoy it. But if someone says they didn't like 2001 A Space Odessy even though they could tell it was a good movie, then they're being objective because those they're looking past their feelings at the movie's actual qualities.

"Quality is subjective,"
Sort of, but not really, but kind of yeah.

or other post-modern phrases like, "Truth is relative."
It's more like there is no truth, or truths for that matter.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Alright I think I just hit the nail on the head:

The quality of a movie IS one of its characteristics.

I don't think I can stress that enough. I think the debate is officially over.