Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Gloria (Cassavetes) - 7/10 - Loved this movie. It's entertaining, and very heartwarming at times. What I like is that the characters have depth, and are the way they are, and not cliche, just like the script.

Shadows (Cassavetes) - 7/10 - I liked this more the second time around... Very independent film, and something very different from a lot of stuff in 1959..

I noticed I have seen every Cassavetes film... I might give "Faces" another shot, as I didn't like it (or Chinese Bookie).. Even the films that I'd rather at a 6 or 7 are great experiences.

I thought this was Cassavetes' best film, but each to his own.

Hello, I wonder if you would elaborate, and share with me (and others) why you loved "Chinese Bookie?" - I will give it a chance in a month or so.

Solaris

The first part of the movie was beautiful to watch, it kept me very interested with the story and the characters. But the second part was a real mess, very confusing and sometimes pointless.

American Sniper (2014)

With: Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller

I absolutly loved the movie. It wasn't just all about the war/Army, the family was a big part of the film as well and the historical events in it made it feel more realistic. The movie suceed with showing how cruel war is not only to the men involved but to the world in general. It changes people, it makes you do things you wouldn't have thought of doing in your worst nightmares. It ****s you up and changes your perspective of the world and life, of people, of what's worth and what isn't, of what is fair and what is admitted to do, what isn't. What real courage is, when to quit, when to stop, but it always stays with you.

At least this is how the movie made me feel. So yes I loved it haha
I also have to admit I cried. Even though I normally don't like this type of films

Walk the Line (2005)

With: Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon

It's a biographical drama film based on the life of Johnny Cash (country/rock artist)

I like how this film didn't try to make of Johnny Cash a good guy, with deep reasons and twists to act and do what he does. Sometimes life just turns out that way and you see yourself in a path you never thought you'd see yourself in. Sometimes you don't realize you're in such path unless someone else points it out.

I think the actors did an awesome job, and the movie sucees in recreating their life, how it was, with their ups and downs and good moments. I think it was a masterpiece within it's own genre.

Klass
(2007, Estonia)
Directed by Ilmar Raag
6/10

A movie about teen bullying and getting revenge on those who are doing the bullying.

Kill Bill Vol 2 - 6/10. IMO Tarantinos weakest (That I've seen) film BY FAR. Almost none of the Tarantino-y stylized violence that we all love. and a revenge film which left no satisfaction at all.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

3 plus babas out of 5 dooks

Grabs your attention immediately and never really lets you go with the exception of a spot where things felt a tad too long. Very disturbing at times. Maybe not for everyone, but everyone should give it a watch.

The One I Love (2014) Great surprise! I loved it and highly recommend this...

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Not currently on fire...

Aka. Order of the Grail (UK), El Capitán Trueno y el Santo Grial (ESP)

Hard to believe this has only a 3/10 average rating on IMDb, I guess a lot of viewers must really dislike Spanish language films (although apparently the US DVD does include an English dub, although why anyone would want this I don't know).

Based on a classic Spanish comic book, this is the story of a soldier fighting during the crusades who receives the Holy Grail and is sent back to Spain to take it to safety, only to be attacked by a mysterious group who want it for an unholy ceremony. A proper old fashioned yarn, coming across like a blend between the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad films and Scorpion King, there is nothing particularly original about the story, but it is highly enjoyable. Direction is stunning, it has a sleek Hollywood feel to it, while retaining a European art-house look at times, even the occasional CGI looks impressive. The only flaw is a slightly rushed end to the climax and an over-long wrap-up sequence.

Unregistered User

Ivan's Childhood (1962)

I really do struggle a bit with Tarkovsky. Bar Solaris, I just felt like a lot of his work goes over my head, leaving me rather lost. Saying that, I did really like this and i did prefer it to Mirror and Stalker. The visuals were superb and the performance from Ivan was incredible. I will certainly revisit all of Tarkovsky's work.

+

Nuts In May (1976)

A made-for-tv movie from Mike Leigh. Started of quite well but it dragged about from the middle of the film.

Master of My Domain
Blow-Up (1967)

Might have been phenomenal back then, but when seen now it doesn't really go anywhere. Great editing though.

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Blow-Up (1967)

Might have been phenomenal back then, but when seen now it doesn't really go anywhere. Great editing though.

I haven't seen anything from Antonioni, and reading this from Truffaut doesn't make me super excited:
"Antonioni is the only important director I have nothing good to say about. He bores me; he's so solemn and humorless."

And aslo I saw an interview with Ingmar Bergman where he said basically the same thing.

Is there any Antonioni lovers that can argue against?

I haven't seen anything from Antonioni, and reading this from Truffaut doesn't make me super excited:
"Antonioni is the only important director I have nothing good to say about. He bores me; he's so solemn and humorless."

And aslo I saw an interview with Ingmar Bergman where he said basically the same thing.

Is there any Antonioni lovers that can argue against?
He might be "boring" as his movies are rather slow but his pictures are so well composed imo. For me personally Red Desert from 1964 is my favorite. Expect a rather depressing film surrounded by beautiful composed shots of industrial landscapes. It was screened on the Copenhagen Architecture X Film festival on 35 mm last year.

Tangerines (2013) - 7.5/10. Very good.

Accused (Lucia De B.) (2014) - 7.2/10. Very nice too!

Gone Girl - A+