manners

Tools    

Ok, I'll buy some of your argument but will respectfully decline to agree with you on kids in an R rated movie. I think that overall the ratings system is correct and there are things kids should not see. I revoke the term "idiocy", sir, as I certainly did not mean anything derogatory by it. It's a figure of speech that I may use too offhandedly. I would bend on the pg-13 for my kids depending on the nature of the film. My kids will definitely not see Braveheart until they are much older. There are far better ways to teach them their heritage than to park them in front of a movie. Braveheart was a great movie, but the story was all to do with human ugliness (not physical of course) and violence. The world is scary enough for little ones, why make it worse?

Is it scary? Whether or not they see the world as scary depends on how they are raised. We're blunt with our kids here, and it seems to be working quite well. As for heritage: honestly, how likely is it that they'll listen to us reading out of a text book? Freedom is an emotional thing, and I don't know that it can be properly conveyed through words alone.

I think The Matrix is the best example of an R-rated movie that can be perfectly harmless for certain kids. It sure "feels" like a PG-13 movie. Like I said, it comes down to the child, specifically, and how they've been raised.

I don't hold the same confidence in the ratings system. Titanic got a PG-13, and now-days a PG-13 movie can contain the word "f*ck", very clearly, without having to worry about an R-rating.

Is it scary?? It can be. I too am blunt with my kids. I find myself all the time saying if a stranger offers you a ride run away. If someone at school offers you drugs don't take them. If the gangs at school bother you please tell me. I just don't think that taking them to movies depicting violence etc. is something I'm going to do until they are ready for it. Also, I did say I would bend the rules depending on the film... not that I'm suddenly going to take them to all pg-13 movies where they throw the F bomb at will.

I have no younger siblings and no children of which I know, however I was a child once. I cant speak about really young ages because I dont remember them very well however, I was allowed to watch anytghing by the time I was twelve or so. I don't think this caused me any harm. Hearing curse words on movies didn't make me start cursing, I had already developed a knowledge of innappropriate language and knew what I should and shouldn't say. I also don't think that seeing violence on movies beyond that age will make a child more violent either. Basically, what I'm saying is: At a young age, we should be careful what children are exposed to. However, once they're about twelve, if they have been raised properly to that age, Rated R movies to any degree will not harm them. They will only teach them. My parents raised me liberally and I am a successful young man who has always stayed out of trouble. I plan to raise my children the same way.

Sultan..
You are correct. That is the point I was trying to make. My kids are 7 and 4 and I just don't feel comfortable with them viewing certain things yet. At the age of 12 I don't think I will restrict them too much. Also, as you brought up, I couldn't be more against the idea that watching a killer in a movie makes you a killer. This is stupid logic at best. Based on what you have written, I have to concur that you are a fine young man. Thanks for the reply.

This is an interesting discussion. I'm of a simple mindset: forbidden fruit is always the most tempting. My parents pretty much allow me to swear (at one of the two houses) -- they know I'm not going to develop a big problem with vulgarity, and they know I can control my tongue in sensitive situations. As a result of this freedom, I don't swear constantly behind their backs. The desire to swear is gone, because the forbidden aspect of it has been dulled.

I don't know...it's a sticky subject. On the issue of bluntness: I was mostly referring to sexuality really. My 4 year old half brother knows that something called "sex" is what produces children, and he knows that it involves the mother and the father -- I think he basically understands that both a man and woman are part of the act.

Alright, I'm bouncing to another subject (what's that, 3 or 4 in one post?): I agree/think that a child who is raised properly can see just about anything in any movie, and not become vexed by it. If a kid acts based on those games, or those movies, that kid has not been raised properly. It is THAT simple.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Alright, I'm bouncing to another subject (what's that, 3 or 4 in one post?): I agree/think that a child who is raised properly can see just about anything in any movie, and not become vexed by it. If a kid acts based on those games, or those movies, that kid has not been raised properly. It is THAT simple.
I couldn't agree more.

I was sort of loosely restricted from watching certain things until I was around twelve years old; I've been fortunate enough to have parents who knew what I could and couldn't handle. For example, I watched Pulp Fiction when I was 10, and I didn't have a problem. I grasped the idea that it was a comedy, and that just because a character uses the F word constantly doesn't mean I have to. But I watched Silence of the Lambs then too (without their permission), and I was scared out of my wits, and had nightmares. But when my parents figured out that I saw things how they were presented, instead of just seeing them, they didn't restrict my viewing at all. My Mom was angry that I was restricted access to seeing the Princess and the Warrior last week, and wanted to call the theater and complain (luckily she didn't). I've been rather lucky in that respect.

I agree that there are some things children shouldn't see, but it's not the MPAA's duty to be parents. There should be ratings that are accurate, plain and simple. In a system where Almost Famous has the same rating as Hannibal, something needs to change.

Hummmm, that is weird, silence of the lambs was scary? I saw it when I was 10 & I thought lecter was cool & it made me want to be a super smarty psychiatrist with a little dog like precious.

Chris
I see in another post that you are 17(?) if that is correct I have to commend you on your thinking skills etc. I have to say that I hope my kids turn out as independent and smart as you appear to be. I hope you're not offended if I say that age may change your perspective a little on this issue. When you have a mind that you are responsible for nourishing you tend to become careful (maybe overly) of what goes in it. Also, you have to understand that when I was raised the "bad" movies were not nearly what they are today. Movies have to be increasingly more intense to maintain their shock value. When you have kids you may be shocked at what is on the screen at that time and feel same way I do about your kids seeing it.

On your other comment "If a kid acts based on those games, or those movies, that kid has not been raised properly. It is THAT simple." I totally agree. The Columbine shootings come to mind here. The media was trying to blame this on the video games that these guys were playing. I tend to think that these kids were getting no support at home and that is the root of their problems.

Don't shoot me for trying to do right by my kids!!! :-)

You are right, you are sooo right.

There I am in the darkness, trying to have a quiet feely to Harvey keitel in Bad Lieutenant...

Suddenly, a torch is shone on me and I am taken out in front of the whole audience and shamed.

"Never, never, never touch yourself during an Abel Ferrara movie!" Shouted the Manager undoing his trousers. "Especially during a kiddies' matinee!"

You could say that I deserved all I got. Manners are everything.

Daisy

Originally posted by Toose
Chris
I see in another post that you are 17(?) if that is correct I have to commend you on your thinking skills etc.
Sorry, I didn't see this post before. Yes, I just turned 17, and thanks very much. A lot of the credit goes to my parents, however: despite some very tough times, they did a good job of raising me.

I do know (a little bit...lots to learn I'm sure) the feeling of teaching a young mind, though. I'm one of 7 kids at my dad's house, the youngest of which is less than 8 months old. We all make an effort to talk to him...make noises, help him grab things, and stuff like that.

We've sort of geared our behavior (a little) to help him observe things more easily. We all sort of figure that a baby's brain is ready and eager to observe things in action, so we talk to him a lot, show him things, and just let him watch us in general. It seems to be working quite well -- I think simple attention (as cliche as it sounds) and any form of interaction will do wonders for a baby's learning.

Anyway, it's very nice to have so many siblings to "practice" on -- I'm given a high amount of authority over most of the younger ones, so hopefully I won't go power-crazy when I have a kid of my own.