The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think there's only one actress I know of that could come close to Piper Laurie's performance in Carrie... Alice Krige. For a long time even, I thought it was Krige in the role.

Can't understand why Krige wasn't used in the Carrie remake. Julianne Moore just doesn't cut it. Not when compared to Laurie.

I think there's only one actress I know of that could come close to Piper Laurie's performance in Carrie... Alice Krige. For a long time even, I thought it was Krige in the role.

Can't understand why Krige wasn't used in the Carrie remake. Julianne Moore just doesn't cut it. Not when compared to Laurie.
I have strong opinions regarding the Carrie remake. Here's my review.

I don't remember Piper Laurie being in it. Piper was in 2 of my all time favorite movies, so I'll have to watch Carrie just to see her.

Alice Krige...the Borg Queen, ya she would be intense, but maybe too young at the time of filming.

I meant Krige being in the remake. Julianne Moore replaced Piper Laurie but it should have been Krige.

My List
12) Serpico
18) Suspiria
19) Dawn of the Dead
23) American Graffiti
25) Grease

really loved Dawn of the Dead when i first saw it, it's faded slightly since. but i think it a fun flick and deserving of its spot at #35

at this point i expect 3 of my 25 to miss out, Black Christmas, Slap Shot, and Coffy - since we already know that one missed (dammit!) grrr

Carrie was #12 on my list.

I've never understood the massive appeal for Dawn of the Dead. It's alright, but it doesn't grab me like it does other people. It was not on my list.

MY LIST

2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
4. Rocky II (1979)
8. Mad Max (1979)
12. Carrie (1976)
15. Little Big Man (1970)
16. The Deer Hunter (1978)
17. The Muppet Movie (1979)
19. The Jerk (1979)

I like both. Just saw Dawn of the Dead for the first time a month back or whatever, and Carrie a couple months ago after not having seen it for years. They both hold up quite well, I think, but they weren't even close to making my list.

I still only have 7 movies from my list, and I'm pretty sure 23 will make it. Any day now they'll be showing up.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Dawn of the Dead and The Warriors beat Deer Hunter? The Deer Hunter is a really good film and quite powerful but probably hurt by it's length, especially for some viewers. De Niro is great in it.

The Warriors basically lost me when the gang dressed in baseball uniforms showed up. I was like, "WTF!?" then wondered when the hockey, basketball and football gang where going to make an appearance. The scene with the bottles on the guys fingers is a funny and memorable one of course.

Is that Jon Bon Jovi?

Agree that Deer Hunter is hurt by the length, although I think I did have it one spot above Carrie. But I expected that Carrie would make several lists as did The Deer Hunter it seems. I love that The Warriors made it. Wasn't on mine, but its a great 70's flick.

"Can you dig it?"

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Dawn of the Dead and The Warriors beat Deer Hunter? The Deer Hunter is a really good film and quite powerful but probably hurt by it's length, especially for some viewers. De Niro is great in it.

The Warriors basically lost me when the gang dressed in baseball uniforms showed up. I was like, "WTF!?" then wondered when the hockey, basketball and football gang where going to make an appearance. The scene with the bottles on the guys fingers is a funny and memorable one of course.

Is that Jon Bon Jovi?
Maybe you aren't supposed to take it all so seriously dude. Just enjoy it!

Had Warriors on my list, probably top 5. Absolutely love it. Think Deer Hunter just made it too.

The gangs in The Warriors were wearing their 'special colors' to attend the big Cyrus gang rally.

Normally they would be wearing more sedate street clothing, like the Orphans, (who weren't invited to the big shin dig.)

Can you dig it.

My list so far:

1) Nashville
2)
3)
4) A Woman Under the Influence
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10) Cries and Whispers
11) Manhattan
12)
13)
14)
15)
16) Le Cercle Rouge
17)
18)
19)
20)
21) Autumn Sonata
22)
23) Suspiria
24)
25)

Nashville should be about 42 spaces higher. Pleasantly surprised to see Woman and Cries and Whispers do so well.

Willy Wonka over Life of Brian? You sicken me.
Don't listen. It was the right thing to do.
Dawn is my least favorite of the trilogy.
Booooooo

but Fulci's superior Zombie gets no love.
Superior to Dawn Of The Dead? Are you mad, man? And I like Zombie (Zombie Flesheaters for the UK crowd)
I was wondering if Dawn of the Dead was going to make it after we got so high, but I'm happy with it being up there. It was my number 23.
I was wondering too. So happy to see it here. I have to admit that I'm surprised it's this high. I was thinking top 50 before the countdown started.

Back in the day, Carrie wowed the audiences. But today's horror fans expect modern pacing, scene length, quick camera action, and so on...Carrie is not that type of film.
I agree with you. I don't think the young horror crowd would go for it now. Same way they were all bored by The Exorcist.

Dawn of the Dead is my fave of the original trilogy,
Of course it is. It's the favourite of all normal, right minded thinking people.
Dawn of the Dead and The Warriors beat Deer Hunter?
Yes, because they both so much better. Fun = better.

Dawn Of The Dead was my #10 choice. It's on my 100 favourite films and it's something I love to watch. Maybe even more than I love it. It's also the best zombie film ever made.

Let the night air cool you off
Superior to Dawn Of The Dead? Are you mad, man? And I like Zombie (Zombie Flesheaters for the UK crowd)
Dawn is good, but Zombie is great. If that makes me mad, then so be it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
So far I've not been keeping up to date with the countdown but just checking and so far I've contributed to helping 9 films make the list -

90. Taking of Pelham One Two Three (my # 4)
80. Assault on Precinct 13 (#7)
73. Marathon Man (#8)
69. The Muppet Movie (#6)
68. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#11)
63. Rocky II (#12)
55. Serpico (#22)
47. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (#9)
37. The Warriors (#19)

I was particularly happy and surprised to see Wonka so high up the list, didn't realise there was a lot of love for that on here.

Alongside the 9 from my list the rest of the countdown is quite an even mix. Admittedly there are quite a lot I've not seen but also a few others I like (Jeremiah Johnson, All the President's Men, Little Big Man etc), as well as a fair few I'm really not keen on (Being There, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Mean Streets, Manhattan, Rocky Horror)

So far I've not been keeping up to date with the countdown but just checking and so far I've contributed to helping 9 films make the list -

90. Taking of Pelham One Two Three (my # 4)
80. Assault on Precinct 13 (#7)
73. Marathon Man (#8)
69. The Muppet Movie (#6)
68. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#11)
63. Rocky II (#12)
55. Serpico (#22)
47. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (#9)
37. The Warriors (#19)

I was particularly happy and surprised to see Wonka so high up the list, didn't realise there was a lot of love for that on here.

Alongside the 9 from my list the rest of the countdown is quite an even mix. Admittedly there are quite a lot I've not seen but also a few others I like (Jeremiah Johnson, All the President's Men, Little Big Man etc), as well as a fair few I'm really not keen on (Being There, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, Mean Streets, Manhattan, Rocky Horror)
Glad to see you around buddy. Feeling any better?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Maybe you aren't supposed to take it all so seriously dude. Just enjoy it!
Gangs in baseball uniforms (were they wearing cleats?) prevents me from enjoying it, although maybe if a play-by-play announcer had called the action it would've been better. That and maybe some Cracker Jack vending interlopers armed with watered down beers and over priced hot dogs joining the fray.

Don't really understand the love for Dawn of the Dead.