Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

Brief Encounter

Excellent. A remarkably touching and moving romance.

-

I Saw the Devil - I wrote a review of it on my website, which is available in my signature. Although, of course, I will summarize my thoughts and rate it here.

The film brings a solid performance from Choi Min-si, who is other-wise known for his work in Oldboy. The film is unrelenting in some of the violence and subject-matter, so you'd be forgiven if you though that it would end up being nothing more than a splatter film. However, it isn't one. There's a lot of emotion and depth with the story, and while the characters aren't extremely developed, the same can't be said for the immense amount of hatred between them.

Rating: 8.0
Loved "I Saw The Devil"! Very twisted and brutal but not lacking in emotion and depth as you said. To me it felt quite similar to "Sympathy For Mister Vengeance", another great thriller about the futility of revenge.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Loved "I Saw The Devil"! Very twisted and brutal but not lacking in emotion and depth as you said. To me it felt quite similar to "Sympathy For Mister Vengeance", another great thriller about the futility of revenge.
I'm glad that you also liked it.

Personally though, I hated Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and Mister Vengeance. I liked Mister Vengeance more though.

Oldboy is absolutely amazing though.

I bought Thirst. It's another Park Chan-wook film. I want to watch it very soon.

This film was good. I wouldn't say a masterpiece, it had it's share of mistakes, but it was pretty good. It definately inspired generations of movie makers to come. It was certainly groundbreaking for it's day, and you can see how much movies today borrowed from it. It's been hailed as "the first psychological thriller" but I slightly disagree with that statement. Most of the movie is about them trying to find the killer, despite us knowing who he is. But the killer is not the subject of the film. If this was a psychological thriller, than I think we would be seeing into the mind of the killer or another character. But there is no narration and it is not from someones perspective. The subject is the police force and the criminals that try to find him instead. It was interesting how in their search for the killer, the people in the city managed to go mad themselves, and how they used the killer as a scapegoat for all their wrongdoings. For that part of the movie it was very poignant and relevant. I overall loved the message this movie brought and it was very powerful.

The performances in the film were decent enough, and they did the job. But Peter Lorre's performance was masterfully chilling, and his speech at the end will haunt you long after the film is over.

The camera work was good in this film, especially the long tracking shot showing all the beggers and where they live. That was amazing and I did not expect to see something like that in a 1931 film. There were some editing mistakes and a continuity error or two but, I suppose those can be looked over. I liked the story for the most part even though I felt it dragged at times. The ending was amazing and I really loved the "peoples court" scene, if you will.

Overall, a pretty good movie that set the standard for horror movies and thrillers to come. Despite a few errors, and some slow parts in the film it was good. If anything, watch this for Peter Lorre's chilling performance.

Fire walk with me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Three Days of the Condor (1975)

This is one of the best spy thrillers I've ever seen. This movie is filled with excitement and tension from start to finish, all the way through to the thought-provoking ending. Robert Redford stars as a normal guy who works for the CIA as a reader, not as an agent. After several of his co-workers are killed, he is on the run and trying to stay alive. He doesn't know who to trust, or even why this is all happening to him. Cliff Robertson, Max von Sydow and Faye Dunaway also star in this awesome thriller.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Conversation (1974)

This movie is a little slow at times, but it's a very good movie. Gene Hackman is great as a wire-tapper who is a private, paranoid and guilt-ridden person. It's hard to review this without giving away spoilers, but basically Hackman's character overhears something on a wiretap, and he feels he should get involved. Everything that happens is important to what's going on, regardless of how small or irrelevant it may seem. It was also nice to see Harrison Ford in an early supporting role.

If you like good mystery/thriller movies, this is definitely one worth seeing.

The Conversation (1974)

This movie is a little slow at times, but it's a very good movie. Gene Hackman is great as a wire-tapper who is a private, paranoid and guilt-ridden person. It's hard to review this without giving away spoilers, but basically Hackman's character overhears something on a wiretap, and he feels he should get involved. Everything that happens is important to what's going on, regardless of how small or irrelevant it may seem. It was also nice to see Harrison Ford in an early supporting role.

If you like good mystery/thriller movies, this is definitely one worth seeing.

I've always thought about watching this but never got around to it.

what lol

Ok. I was a little wierded out about this movie. I loved the beginning, didn't like the middle as much, and then loved the end. The mood of this film was perfect and it was so intense I found myself yelling at the television at times. David Lynch creates atmosphere so well and it completely shows. You have to expect some things to be left unexplained in a Lynch film, but at times I just felt that some parts of the story were left out. This film was deeply disturbing and you feel extremely uncomfortable at times during the film, and you're supposed to feel that way. It's very well done.

Kyle MacLachlan was great in this and gave a very good performance. He showed his childlike curiosity and newfound man hood all in one character and it was really amazing.

Laura Dern did a good job as well playing her character. But that's about all I can say. She did a good job playing the good and kind character of the story.

Let's talk Dennis Hopper. There were some scenes that I loved Dennis Hopper, and some scenes that I hated him. At times I thought he was fun and a great villain, and at other times I just found him annoying. But you have to love the line "Lets f*ck! I'll f*ck anything that moves!"

Blue Velvet confused me at times and made me extremely uncomfortable, like its supposed to do, but other than that I really enjoyed it. Dennis Hopper was fun at times as the villain and SUPER creepy too. Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Dern had good performances. Overall this was a good movie, despite being unenjoyable at times and some annoying characters, its a good movie. Lynch and especially Twin Peaks fans will enjoy it.

3.7/5

Finished here. It's been fun.

Captain America:The Winter Soldier
-

A well-made and highly entertaining blockbuster, and definitely more intelligent than most popcorn flicks in theaters.The action is thrilling and spaced out very well so it never becomes tedious. I quite liked this one.

I am starting to think you are just going through my top 10 for suggestions.
haha no, i just got a bunch of old movies and stuff from the library and a bunch of them happen to be on your list.

Go Agead, Make My Day

Drive Hard 2014

6.5/10

Entertaining film, it's an Action/Crime/Comedy, very simple with no complications and easy to watch

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Loved "I Saw The Devil"! Very twisted and brutal but not lacking in emotion and depth as you said.
What's deep about it? Besides the wounds, of course.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Go Agead, Make My Day
Is that old woman Thomas Jane?
That is Thimas Jane

but trust me, this movie is fun to watch

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

Captain America:The Winter Soldier
-

A well-made and highly entertaining blockbuster, and definitely more intelligent than most popcorn flicks in theaters.The action is thrilling and spaced out very well so it never becomes tedious. I quite liked this one.
Loved this film, looking forward to the release on dvd now

A Clockwork Orange 1971 4/5
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

What's deep about it? Besides the wounds, of course.
The nietzschean dialectic established in its two central personalities blurring the line between fatalism and moral agency.